will disputes (1 Viewer)

Yeah.
This sort of thing is pretty bad.
I sort of wrote something there, but I just can't post it.
Similar-ish sort of thing, except the party that stands to make money is the solicitor, so people are being told to do things that are not in their best interest at all.

Its basically fucked.
Me being in bleeding NYC is not making matters any more straight forward.

that sounds hideous. take them down!

But if you kill those people, they might have wills too. Vicious circle. Better to nuke the entire planet really.

My family was also involved in a "bad" will situation. Certain people don't speak to certain people anymore. It looks like a fact of life. Some people will just get rubbed up the wrong way because they get X when someone else gets Y.

I'm an only child, so don't have to compete with others when it comes to the family home (when my folks pass away in the hopefully very distant future), but if some fucker tried to latch onto my 90yr old senile parent in their final years and take said property from, I'd be fit to murder them.

Irish people and land are a bad mix.

About 15 years ago my uncle was short of cash and asked my folks for a loan (he's my mum's brother). My dad liked the uncle and didn't want to have him in debt to him so instead made the proposal that he'd buy a part of a (large) field off him in case it got to the point where they decided that they'd like to move down to where my mum is from. Uncle says grand.

My uncle never sorted out the transference of ownership (sure we're family) and eventually got cancer and died a few years back. When he was diagnosed he meant to change his will to indicate that he was leaving that section of the field to my folks (as opposed to us buying it which is actually happened) but deteriorated so rapidly that he didn't do it. In fairness to his widow she's not trying to shaft my parents or anything I don't think but the whole situation is dragging out like mad, he's been dead 3 years at this point and we want to get it sorted because there's a local developer hanging around like a fucking vulture wanting to buy up the land and build houses on it which is fair enough and I can't blame my aunt for wanting to sell as she needs something to live on and won't be working the land herself but she can't really sell while there's a little bit of limbo over the ownership because I wouldn't trust the prick builder to start eating into the section of the field that's ours when he brings the JCB's in.

...but if some fucker tried to latch onto my 90yr old senile parent in their final years and take said property from, I'd be fit to murder them.

Imagine that fucker had nothing at all to do with your parent, other than he represented them for their divorce.
And now is trying to take everything, including their house, from them.
Imagine that this fucker is able to make that parent think that this is in everyone's best interest.

I dunno who i'll leave my collection of old Amiga Power magazines to. Might just let them squabble over it.

thanks folks - i'm almost glad to know it's more of a normal situation than i thought.

Unfortunately, it's incredibly common. It doesn't make dealing with it any easier when it happens, though. Hope it gets better, and I hope it doesn't put strain on any of the relationships you really value. It's always much harder when things like this end up leaving bitterness between people where there wasn't really any before.

it's all a bunch of rancid shit. this experience is making me question the worthiness of human interaction and, indeed, humans being.

NOW CASTING FAMILIES FOR TV SHOW PILOT

Do you need help resolving family conflicts and evaluating the worth of objects in
an Estate? Are you and your relatives disputing over a loved one’s Will?

Are your clients in dispute over a Will that’s vague? Are they open to mediation?

The Emmy Award winning production company behind “The Rachel Zoe
Project,” “LA Ink,” “Storm Chasers” and more, is casting REAL FAMILIES AND
ESTATE PROFESSIONALS for a TV Pilot to air on a Major Cable Network.

EMAIL US TODAY IF YOU KNOW A FAMILY WHO WOULD LIKE TO TAKE
PART IN A LIFE-CHANGING NEW TV SERIES

(Family must have legal Will. The Estate must contain several assets
of varying worth. Family should be unaware of monetary value
and needs help with distribution. **Compensation will be paid)

Please contact: [email protected]
www.originalmedia.com
www.paladinocasting.com

About 15 years ago my uncle was short of cash and asked my folks for a loan (he's my mum's brother). My dad liked the uncle and didn't want to have him in debt to him so instead made the proposal that he'd buy a part of a (large) field off him in case it got to the point where they decided that they'd like to move down to where my mum is from. Uncle says grand.

My uncle never sorted out the transference of ownership (sure we're family) and eventually got cancer and died a few years back. When he was diagnosed he meant to change his will to indicate that he was leaving that section of the field to my folks (as opposed to us buying it which is actually happened) but deteriorated so rapidly that he didn't do it. In fairness to his widow she's not trying to shaft my parents or anything I don't think but the whole situation is dragging out like mad, he's been dead 3 years at this point and we want to get it sorted because there's a local developer hanging around like a fucking vulture wanting to buy up the land and build houses on it which is fair enough and I can't blame my aunt for wanting to sell as she needs something to live on and won't be working the land herself but she can't really sell while there's a little bit of limbo over the ownership because I wouldn't trust the prick builder to start eating into the section of the field that's ours when he brings the JCB's in.

so what happened here? if it wasn't in the will, there's nothing to be done about that, but did you folks manage to make out an implied trust of land? normally trusts of land require some signed written evidence to enforce it though... i think in English law your dad would lose out here, but could maybe try for equitable restitution from the proceeds of the aunt's property sale...

yes, i'm training to be a solicitor.
no, just in legal aid immigration and asylum law, but you have to learn all this crap too for some reason.

so what happened here? if it wasn't in the will, there's nothing to be done about that, but did you folks manage to make out an implied trust of land? normally trusts of land require some signed written evidence to enforce it though... i think in English law your dad would lose out here, but could maybe try for equitable restitution from the proceeds of the aunt's property sale...

yes, i'm training to be a solicitor.
no, just in legal aid immigration and asylum law, but you have to learn all this crap too for some reason.

We got it all sorted out in the end, transfer for ownership took place last year. It was amicable, just slow, I genuinely believe that there was no bad intent on the part of my aunt.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

M Stevens & The Ghasts + Vega Storm
Wexford Street
Landless: 'Lúireach' Album Launch (Glitterbeat Records)
The Unitarian Church, Stephen's Green
Dublin Unitarian Church, 112 St Stephen's Green, Dublin, D02 YP23, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back