What kind of guitar is this? (1 Viewer)

outoftheblue

Website
Visit site
I was thinking of buying a new acoustic guitar that's a bit nicer than the one I have, 'cause I've been trying to be a bit more serious about learning to fingerpick. Does anyone know what make/style of guitar the one Alasdair Roberts is playing in this clip is? It's a tiny bit too blurry for me to read, but I thought if someone was already familiar with the make they might know.. thanks very much...

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

yeah, hard to tell. there are some many really could luthiers around making acoustics that it'd be hard to determine in a vid of that quality.

Just email him & ask

"If you are interested in playing a session or just want a natter,sing our praises or recommend an artist contact us on
sessions at songsfromtheshed.com "

Is it middle of the road? I guess maybe it is. It sounds nice to me though, and I suppose I presumed that, with him having being around for such a long time and all, he'd probably play a guitar that's well suited to his kind of fingerstyle playing.

I didn't think about emailing him at all, actually; I bet Drag City would have a contact for him, come to think of it.

cant see the brand either -but its a double O type body style, i think. however the guy playing is playing classsical style with a classical type posture (crossed legged, with high neck angel to see what he's at), which is usually done on a nylon string guitar. if you are really tall you could go for a dreadnought and get a bigger bodied sound, but i'm about 5'9ish and i find OO/classical types are big enough for finger styling, with a larger body you'll be craning your neck more learning the stuff and you'll think that fingerstyling is giving you a head ache.

actually his posture is very shit except for his left arm having no wrist bend, so better blood flow. he's going to fuck his back up like that though, and he's using his third finger to correct his bad posture on his right hand, which is a good shortcut to pains in the hand, and a good way to make finger picking harder by only using half your hand to play the thing.

Just email him & ask

"If you are interested in playing a session or just want a natter,sing our praises or recommend an artist contact us on
sessions at songsfromtheshed.com "
emailed him earlier today...
here ya go.

the guitar was made by Les Brown, a musician and luthier friend of my father Alan's from Glasgow. I think he made it in the late sixties or early seventies - it's numbered '48' on the back. I inherited the guitar from my father.

After making the guitar, Les moved to Germany and now he lives in Spain. I'm not sure whether he still makes guitars.

emailed him earlier today...
here ya go.

Whoa, that is a shocking amount of gumption, if gumption's the right word. Thanks for that. It usually takes me a few weeks (months) between deciding to email someone and actually doing it. You know, I actually thought it did say Les Brown but then convinced myself I was seeing things. So I guess I'll go with ann post's advice (thanks, ann post) and find something similar. (And be careful of posture. I know what you mean about the limitations of just using forefinger and middle finger, but then conversely it's amazing to me how much he can do just like that - I'm pretty sure I've only ever seen him play that way any time I've seen him play live.)

The Scientician! Hello. I have been away. I'm still away actually. But I'll be back in Dublin at Christmas. We should round up Paul and people and go for a drink.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Darsombra (Kosmische Drone Prog)(US)
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back