What does this sound like? (1 Viewer)

Cornu Ammonis

Supporter
Contributor
Solutions
Website
brainwashed.com
The last song on Gallon Drunk’s album From the Heart of Town has a banjo part in it that sounds like it’s a quote of another song. Can anyone tell me what this either sounds like or is a direct quote of? It’s driving me up the wall.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

The last song on Gallon Drunk’s album From the Heart of Town has a banjo part in it that sounds like it’s a quote of another song. Can anyone tell me what this either sounds like or is a direct quote of? It’s driving me up the wall.

from around the 2:25 mark? Very familiar. And pretty sure it's not a traditional banjo tune. Hmmm

bought this on CD when it came out. I'd almost forgotten GD.
they used to get lots of lazy comparisons to The Birthday Party but to me they could sountracked an early 60's London gangster movie.
the singer was later in the Bad Seeds for a while and his brother wrote the first bio of Cave in the mid 90's.
Max became a journalist/writer.

bought this on CD when it came out. I'd almost forgotten GD.
they used to get lots of lazy comparisons to The Birthday Party but to me they could sountracked an early 60's London gangster movie.
the singer was later in the Bad Seeds for a while and his brother wrote the first bio of Cave in the mid 90's.
Max became a journalist/writer.
Didn’t realise his brother wrote that. James Johnston was also in Faust after the Bad Seeds. Terry Edwards seems to be everywhere too.

First thing I thought was that it sounds like it could have been lifted from any spaghetti western.

The album has a very cinematic grainy film feel to it. Were any of these songs licensed for any films that you know of? (To me I always felt “Paying for Pleasure” could soundtrack scenes from The Good, The Bad, The Ugly.)

Hey, thanks. It’s certainly inspired by Morricone, as anyone can hear!

Yeah getting vibes of something like this too

just remembered a good story.
In September 1992 Gallon Drunk were doing a US tour supporting Morrissey who was at the peak of his popularity there. they had a night off during the tour and their management booked them a gig in London.
yes - London. it went something like -
they flew to London, promptly did a gig at the Town and Country club (which later reverted to the name The Forum) and immediately after flew back to the US and played again within hours of arriving supporting Morrissey....

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back