What Book Did You Read Last Night??? (4 Viewers)

I'm currently trying to think of a way of not offending a co-worker when I have to explain why the terrible book she recommended me as lifechanging was awful.

co-worker, thats hard as you have to see them every day.
if you didn't like your friends screenplay that they worked 8 or 9 months on, you can just avoid for 7 months and hope they forget that they sent you it to read.

lets see
"it ended too soon" - codeword: it ended before it got any good
"there was one thing i didn't like about it" - the one thing being the whole thing
"the bits i was awake for blew my mind" - wondering why i continued reading it.
"it made me cry" - that i spent my money on it - doesn't work if she lent it to you

that reminds me, i have 5 people i need to get in contact with

Just finished The Crying of Lot 49. I think I might not be smart enough for Pynchon. Although I did enjoy it nonetheless; the characters, the wit and the prose.

2794.jpg

Starting into Updike's Rabbit, Run now.

Just finished The Crying of Lot 49. I think I might not be smart enough for Pynchon. Although I did enjoy it nonetheless; the characters, the wit and the prose.

2794.jpg

Starting into Updike's Rabbit, Run now.

I'm almost finished this too. Found myself having to read sections out loud in my head (if you know what I mean) to make sense of the narrative. As with Inherent Vice (the movie) I'm now not even trying to follow the plot, but am just enjoying the ride. Not sure if I could take one of his longer efforts though.

I'm almost finished this too. Found myself having to read sections out loud in my head (if you know what I mean) to make sense of the narrative. As with Inherent Vice (the movie) I'm now not even trying to follow the plot, but am just enjoying the ride. Not sure if I could take one of his longer efforts though.
Ha, yeah totally get that. And I might be the same with something like Gravity's Rainbow. Wasn't that unanimously selected by the jury for the Pulitzer prize but the board rejected it because it was 'unreadable'?

Pynchon is a waste of time.

Life's too short like.

If I have to spend eternity somewhere after I die I might read him then.

Just finished The Martian by Andy Weir about an astronaut who gets stranded alone on Mars and has to improvise in order to survive until NASA can rescue him. Good little read - I finished it in a couple of days. Nerdy and very funny.
Book-Review-The-Martian.jpg

billy_idol_dancing_with_myself_final_cover-1.jpg

Billy Idol takes all the drugs and has sex with everyone for about 15 years and then....stops. Ridiculous, highly quotable, very clever and very dumb at the same time, much like his music really. Entertaining stuff.

I've just started Fathers & Crows by William Vollmann and I think it'll probably be the best thing ever.
I finally finished this one this evening (Fathers & Crows by William Vollmann). It was deadly but I think it'd have been better if I hadn't taken two months to read it. it was almost 1000 pages in hardback though, pain in the holding it up to read. I was sure I had ordered a paperback edition.

Time said:
TITLE: FATHERS AND CROWS
AUTHOR: WILLIAM T. VOLLMANN
PUBLISHER: VIKING; 990 PAGES; $30
THE BOTTOM LINE: The second bleak volume in a relentlessly pessimistic novel cycle about the coming of white men to North America.

At the age of 32, novelist William Vollmann displays the exasperating immaturities of a precocious teenager. He is a self-mythologizer who refers to himself with heavy irony as "William the Blind." He is utterly and humorlessly self-absorbed and believes his own sensibility to be unique. He rolls out for display every nut and grain that he has squirreled.

Up next - Guantanamo Diary

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Landless: 'Lúireach' Album Launch (Glitterbeat Records)
The Unitarian Church, Stephen's Green
Dublin Unitarian Church, 112 St Stephen's Green, Dublin, D02 YP23, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back