Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The Quiet Zone/The Pleasure Dome

• Present

• Total voters
just booked tickets to see vdgg in the liverpool philharmonic hall in april

.|..|.|..|.|..|.|..|.|..|.|..|.|..|

Gonna look into this. I'm pretty sure somebody here (Thumped) went to see them (VDGG) in London (England) during the Present tour*

*That's the Present tour as opposed to the present tour

theres another VdGG dvd gone up on dimeadozen last week - the last gig of 2005. its quite a short gig but deadly.

1.Lemmings
2.Scorched Earth
3.Every Bloody Emperor
4.Still Life
5.Sleepwalkers
6.Short Improv(fooling around)
7.Man-Erg
8.curtain/bows
9.Darkness 11/11

the playing is pretty aggressive and energetic, reckless almost - hammill and banton especially are giving it loads while jackson seems a bit subdued on the sax, probably because (as hammill pointed out in his lastest news letter) the other three had fallen out with jackson and it looked as though it was the end of vdgg again...

i got The Book too - still only half way through but its a good read

So, fill us* in - how wuz it? Did Lulu join them for Relight My Fire?

*me

spoilers coming up - dont read if you want to be surprised....

no sign of lulu but they did encore with a rousing version of Liverpool Lullaby. the gig was mostly magnificent alright. i said to mahood just before the gig that i hoped they wouldnt play Meurglys III, The Songwriters Guild and i thought it'd be one of the most unlikely things for them to play but he had looked up the setlists online beforehand (i didnt as i wanted to be surprised) and he told me they had been playing it this tour so my heart sank a little when they started into it but it turned out to be one of the highlights. he hoped they wouldnt play Refugees and i really hoped they would and they played it for the encore - another highlight. they made a pigs arse of La Rossa and the sound was a bit unbalanced in general. the organ should have been louder and the guitar was often inaudible but mostly it was grand and didnt interfere too much. they played two brand new songs both of which were deadly. one was very soft and quiet and the other pretty rockin and they both had deadly lyrics. Still Life was astounding too as was
(In the) Black Room and Nutter Alert was deadly. I was glad they played the recent stuff and not just oldies. Man-Erg and Sleepwalkers were the ones you most miss the saxes - it sounds fine without them and it works really well as a three-piece but i found my brain still had to adjust to the absence of sax where its used to hearing them. i'd like to see them again now that i've adjusted. They opened with Masks which was grand, not one of my favs. i was hoping they'd throw in Pilgrims too... ah well... i picked up a cop of H to He, PH's Sitting Targets on vinyl in the second hand shop and a nice VdGG shirt at the gig...

[FONT=arial,chicago] Masks
La Rossa
Lifetime
(In the) Black Room
Nutter Alert
Still Life
All That Before
Meurglys III
The Sleepwalkers
Man-Erg
----------------------------
[/FONT][FONT=arial,chicago]Refugees [/FONT]

heres a dodgy phone pic taken during Man-Erg:
vdgg.jpg

oh yeah - guy evans had that silly sample drum thing he used all over that deadly PH rockplast dvd from 1981

c'mon c'mon, review of london gig...

theres a dvd of the london gig up on dimeadozen now too. quite a good quality audience recording. its hard to reconcile the screeching and shrieking that hammill comes out with these days with the amazing voice on the 70s albums, even though he's still amazing. he sounds like an angry old pensioner loosing the plot with some delinquent teenagers on Childlike Faith In Childhood's End...

this is amazing too. Gog? OMG!!

theres a dvd of the london gig up on dimeadozen now too. quite a good quality audience recording. its hard to reconcile the screeching and shrieking that hammill comes out with these days with the amazing voice on the 70s albums, even though he's still amazing. he sounds like an angry old pensioner loosing the plot with some delinquent teenagers on Childlike Faith In Childhood's End...

this is amazing too. Gog? OMG!!

Nice one. Looking at the tracklisting, I came in halfway through the FIFTH song. What an asshole!

OMGOG!!!

haha, ive been meaning to ask him has he recorded the whole lot of the lamb lies down on broadway but i dont really want to get involved. i hope he has. its awful stuff but i admire him all the same

[FONT=arial,chicago]Van der Graaf Generator's new album Trisector will be released on Monday 17th March 2008...[/FONT] [FONT=arial,chicago]"There are nine pieces on the album, one of them instrumental. Unusually for VdGG, only one of these is more than ten minutes long - indeed, five come in at under five minutes. There are, of course, passages of great complexity but there's also a confidence about the group at the moment which allows them to leave some simple things as they are. These are songs which dictate their own terms, often with a healthy dose of gallows humour, always with a measure of invention.
[/FONT]

[FONT=arial,chicago]"It's far from an over-manicured record. For the most part it is the sound of the three musicians both stretching and enjoying themselves in locked-on sympathetic playing. As ever, it doesn't sound like anyone else - even past versions of VdGG. [/FONT][FONT=arial,chicago]"But as ever, there isn't another group quite like Van der Graaf Generator." [/FONT]

[FONT=arial,chicago]1. The Hurlyburly
2. Interference Patterns
3. The Final Reel
4. Lifetime
5. Drop Dead
6. Only in a Whisper
7. All That Before
8. Over the Hill
9. (We Are) Not Here
[/FONT]

trisector_cover.jpg

that cover is a bit silly looking, but i like it. much better than present

Peter Hammill's finest moment = Gog Magog in bromine chambers
Holy fucking shit!

Peter Hammill's finest moment = Gog Magog in bromine chambers
Holy fucking shit!

yeah, fucking hell, its astounding. the live version linked up above is also deadly - www.fabchannel.com - type van der graaf generator in the box and you can watch the whole concert from last year. (in the) black room is amazing too. i'd definitley travel to england to see them again this year except its impossible

anyone else get the new album? theres a few shockin things on it but theres deadly songs too. peter hammills lyric writing has gone so off the rails over the years that its hard to believe its the same man who wrote the lyrics to 70s vdgg.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Darsombra (Kosmische Drone Prog)(US)
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back