Thread for songs you used to like, but in hindsight realise they're not very good (1 Viewer)

egg_

nerd/hippy
Supporter
Since 1999
Where dogs wear hats and birds fly backwards
Was trawling through 90s music with the kids while driving the other day, and realised that Parklife wasn't very good after all. Nothing really much to it, like - just some geezer rabbiting on, and a fairly generic britpop chorus. Girls and Boys is similar - I'd probably dance to it if it was in the disco and it came on, but ... well, it's a bit underwhelming. And repetitive. And they're playing too slow. I always hated Oasis, but could Blur have been equally shit?

I hope this thread gets legs.
The whole Britpop thing was a bit rubbish. There's good bands in there, but....

It took me a very very long time to see later Megadeth stuff to be middle aged millionaire rock.

A friend who I used to occasionally come to blows with over his love of Oasis and my enjoyment of metal, has strangely not mentioned the M(w)anc-ers much in the last 20 years. As is proper.

I also occasionally get big into say hiphop stuff, and it usually runs out of road after a few listens. Strange genre. If you sample everything, arranging it for use in a mix, then you're just playing people stuff they already know quite well.

I was into a bit of Nu Metal as a teenager - stuff like Korn, Slipknot and Deftones. Most of it has aged terribly and gives me the cringes. Deftones still sound good to me, but they feel like the Pulp of Nu Metal - always doing their own thing and only becoming part of the trend by accident.

I know if I say "The Doors" everyone will say "well obvs", but I always thought I loved "When the music's over", mostly from listening to my brother play it on the piano - it's such a great groove. But on the actual record the band keeps slooooowing doooooown, and I can't listen to it

They had some Blue PR/MEdia show looping on some bbc channel last week, it was nice enough.
Also agree context is everything. Blur churning out of the moment hits to annoy Oasis was an amazing patch of creativity for them.

Also, Tom Waits is music for grown ups, maybe. Blur is for girls and boys.

I had a few weeks of post MASSIVE TEENAGE BREAKUP WITH THE LOVE OF MY LIFE!!!! GAWD!!!! listening to Closing Time, on repeat, in my bedroom, being sad. Now, while the songs are still "nice", while I'd fairly happily go through the whole album, I find it a bit mawkish. 'OL 55 and Grapefruit Moon still get me. Ice Cream man is fun.

It's all context really isn't it.

I was into a bit of Nu Metal as a teenager - stuff like Korn, Slipknot and Deftones. Most of it has aged terribly and gives me the cringes. Deftones still sound good to me, but they feel like the Pulp of Nu Metal - always doing their own thing and only becoming part of the trend by accident.
When the video for Blind appeared on Headbangers Ball it was different and new and really stood out. It’s not their fault everyone else jumped on the bandwagon.

Coffee and TV. Used to think it was a good song. Now it's just WAY too long.
for reasons i cannot remember, i put on 'jungleland' in the car a couple of months back and my wife started comedy snoring about hafway through. maybe not a bad song, but one that needed more judicious editing.

When the video for Blind appeared on Headbangers Ball it was different and new and really stood out. It’s not their fault everyone else jumped on the bandwagon.
True but it still hasn’t stood the test of time for me. I never got into Limp Bizkit or any of that wave of bands so I don’t have too much to be embarrassed about and honestly, I have a soft spot for Korn because I did love them at the time but couldn’t get through a song now.

Marilyn Manson I still like up as far as the third or fourth album but can’t listen to him because he’s a horrendous sex pest.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back