This is where we talk about our favourite R.E.M. albums (1 Viewer)

It's GOT to be Murmur, without a shadow of a doubt. By a country mile.

"Shaking Through" is absolutely divine, Stipe mumbling about Geisha dolls and that.
"Catapult" = pop heaven.
"Radio Free Europe" -- best use of a bell, more (slightly more coherent) Stipe mumblings.

minka said:
[completely random off-topic factoid]apparently, mr. orridge and his missus have both had/will have plastic surgery so that they'll look more like each other. i've seen photos of the current state of affairs. scary. [/factoid]

There was an exhibition of their photos on the subject in London reacently, but in an arsy gallery that's only open on week days, so I couldn't go. The idea is that they're turning their bodies into works of art, commenting on the couples-growing-to-look-like-each-other syndrome. Genesis has even had breast implants. Nice.

Back on topic, my votes go to Fables, Document and Murmur, although I haven't listened to any of them in ages. [showing my age] Capital Nite Sky has a lot to answer for [/fuck I'm old]

pagent
document
green
hifi

Up is lyrically amazing...

Stipes development as a lyricist is a great education on the artform...he really has written some excellent stuff

'swan swan hummingbird...'

'run a carbon back test on my jaw'

'I want to cross my DNA, cross my DNA with something reptile'

me want to have his his babies

aren't most people touched at some stage by rem? i was... i haven't listened to them in years and years but listened to them non-stop for around 6 months at one stage... and still, after all that time, i'll find myself humming night swimming out of the blue, like it's just in there, nothing in particular seems to spark it...

you could say that,
i was moving out of my gaff the other day and i found a collage of micheal stipe that wheels made for me many moons ago,

also the unwashed coffe cup that micheal stipe used once
but the less said about that the better . . .

Lolo said:
Back on topic, my votes go to Fables, Document and Murmur, although I haven't listened to any of them in ages. [showing my age] Capital Nite Sky has a lot to answer for [/fuck I'm old]
-----------------------------------------------
Capital Nite Sky RULED..!!
I remember the night they closed, 31 Dec 1988, last song played was A House- I Will Always Be Grateful.

My fave REM song is............ I am Superman
What LP is that on?

I have to say, absolutely everything they did (but especially Chronic Town - Out of Time) up til Bill left has a very very special place in my heart, they were pretty much the band that got me into music in the first place, but after Bill left they were never really the same band, sad but true :(

Jimcorr said:
My fave REM song is............ I am Superman
What LP is that on?

life's rich pageant.

it's a cover, though i can't for the life of me think of who did the original.

minka said:
life's rich pageant.

it's a cover, though i can't for the life of me think of who did the original.
The Clique? (M. Bottler/G. Zekley)

I am I am I am Superman and I know what's happening
I am I am I am Superman and I can do anything

You don't really love that guy you make it with now do you
I know you don't love that guy cause I can see right through you

If you go a million miles away I'll track you down girl
Trust me when I say I know the pathway to your heart

george mcfly said:
when they played marley park a couple of weeks ago i was able to listen to them from by friends back garden. they souded brillo, i've never actually seen them live tho

i could also hear it perfeckly from my back garden, me an my flatmate danced around reliving our youth (!) was great, beats paying however much it was to go see em...

ronan yakuza said:
they were pretty much the band that got me into music in the first place,

me too!

I bought Green when it came out, and my Da who's a lecturer asked his students who this "REM" crowd his son was listening too were (my Da is one of those lecurers who desperatly has to be down with the kids). One of his students taped pretty much all their albums to that point for him to give to me. I was totally stoked!

Listening to Reckoning and Murmer stll take me back to being a youngster and listening to them on my walkman at night in bed. *sniff*

It's a group hug sorta moment, isn't it?

Pantone247 said:
me too!

I bought Green when it came out, and my Da who's a lecturer asked his students who this "REM" crowd his son was listening too were (my Da is one of those lecurers who desperatly has to be down with the kids). One of his students taped pretty much all their albums to that point for him to give to me. I was totally stoked!

Listening to Reckoning and Murmer stll take me back to being a youngster and listening to them on my walkman at night in bed. *sniff*

It's a group hug sorta moment, isn't it?

you fucking wet cream bun, you.

muddymae said:
you could say that,
i was moving out of my gaff the other day and i found a collage of micheal stipe that wheels made for me many moons ago,

also the unwashed coffe cup that micheal stipe used once
but the less said about that the better . . .

ah I had the biggest crush on Stipey for years... even after I realised he was gay as a gay person

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland
Landless: 'Lúireach' Album Launch (Glitterbeat Records)
The Unitarian Church, Stephen's Green
Dublin Unitarian Church, 112 St Stephen's Green, Dublin, D02 YP23, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back