ThingsYou?reMissing and the Federation of Music Collectives (FMC) (1 Viewer)

silo

1. Brief Outline
2. The FMC and ThingsYou'reMissing
3. FMC 'trial run classes'; Accountancy
4. Conclusions

1. Brief Outline

The Federation of Music Collectives is an Arts Council-funded organisation that exists as an umbrella body for music collectives around Ireland. Billy got in contact with them in order to find out more about them and in order to ascertain whether it would be a good idea to become affiliated with them.

The original idea was that Billy, Joss and I (Tom) would go to meet Angela Dorgan at the FMC in order to have a talk about various things related to affiliation, and to generally get to know each other. In the end, Billy was in work and Joss was in Belfast, so I went. I also went along in order to participate in one of the 'trial runs' of classes that the FMC are planning to set up in various subjects related to music.

2. The FMC and ThingsYou'reMissing

Angela Dorgan outlined the idea of the FMC and some plans for the future. The FMC itself was set up 7 years ago in order to be an umbrella body for music collectives and in order to function as a lobby group for their interests.

They don't organise collectives themselves (as this requires a large amount of effort and often will not have lasting results) but rather they become involved with collectives that have developed organically. Part of the background of the organisation is in Northern Ireland, from punk-era collectives that were organised then (partly in reaction to political problems at the time).

In the past they have been involved with various aspects of organising and providing services to collectives. They have arranged for internships at IMRO and other organisations for members, and have provided music-industry-related information and advice.

Their efforts at the moment are mainly concerned with 'professionalizing' musicians and other people involved in music and developing their knowledge and skills, with a bias towards those involved in independent music. Some of the ways they are doing this are:

- Through provision of fact sheets and information about relevant subjects on their website
- Through the 'Metaproject' search engine on their site; this will hopefully become an editable record of information.
- Through giving specific advice and information straight to particular bands and people
- Through running seminars and giving public talks.

One of the core areas of involvement for the FMC is education. They have produced a handbook for schools (in conjunction with other organisations) giving information on courses and other relevant information. They also have a National Instrument Lending plan, which has been a great success.

There are numerous plans for the future, including a plan to supply 'clinics' to various parts of the country on various subjects, and a new website with a database backend in order to gain and use information from site visitors (the site gets 10,000 hits a month; roughly a third from Ireland, a third from North America and a third from Europe). The database would then be used in order to provide relevant information to and from (and between) all site users.

The practicalities of ThingsYou'reMissing affiliating with the FMC are that we'll have to fill out some forms (I'll bring them to the next meeting) and talk about the issues involved. We will have to provide some definitions and generally put some structure on things.

3. FMC 'trial run classes'; Accountancy

The 'trial run' classes are being organised in order to gauge support amongst FMC-affiliated collectives for the idea of having classes in music-related subjects.

If there is enough support to make the classes viable, the plan is to have them regularly and split the cost between the participants. The one that I was at was an introduction to accounting, given by John Connolly. From the practical point of view of running my own label, it was very helpful in running through the basics of bookkeeping and accounting. I have a set of notes from the class, so if anyone wants to have a look at them I'll bring them to the next meeting. John Connolly will probably be giving more of these classes if they get going on a regular basis, but I think you've all missed the freebies.

4. Conclusions

- If ThingsYou'reMissing is going to affiliate to the FMC, we will have to come up with some working definitions of the various aspects of the organisation. They don't have to be precise, and they can change, but they will help, even if it's just for filling out forms. (As a quick related point, there is a danger in giving 'negative' definitions - i.e. defining what it is we aren't - in that it fosters an image of cliquishness).

- The FMC website is doing a lot of the same things as the ThingsYou'reMissing website. However, the FMC information is being provided as an objective, widely usable information source; our stuff is more specifically related to the nuts and bolts of recording/producing/distributing etc.

- Affiliating to the FMC would possibly require some changes within ThingsYou'reMissing. This is where I have my own doubts, as I think TYM is quite an organically-structured mutual-aid group. Our general underlying philosophy is in some ways antithetical to the idea of having any sort of official structure, even to the point of being reluctant to describe ourselves as a 'collective', per se. However, we can discuss it further.

- We'll have to have a talk also about the forms and other general questions about affiliating.

Nice one Tom. I reckon that discussing whether to join the FMC or not will help crystalise the TYM view on a few things (viz. what we are, who's in, and what we do). In general it seems an addition to what we're already doing rather than interference so on the face of it, I'd support affiliation to it.

Tom, what was your feeling about the thing - did they strike you as being on a similar wavelength to us? More specifically, is TyM developed enough to become involved with something like this? Having met them, your recommendation would be useful.

Ta

Ro

We should definitely join the FMC.

If not for anything else, they have a instrument library with €300,000 worth of instruments in it.
Angela would also provide a heap of practical support that most people in Things wouldn't be able to do simply because they don't have the time.

There's nothing wrong with saying who exactly is in Things You're Missing. It's not something ethereal. Defining who is in Things would take away the ad-hoc politics of it.

And there doesn't have to be a board or a chairperson or anything like that. Just saying who is actually in Things You're Missing and what it is and hopes to do are all fairly straightforward.

There is a lot of stuff that the FMC provide that would seem to be the same as what Things You're Missing provides (certainly in the areas of advice and all that). But seeing as they're a government sponsored body, they have far more resources available to them and can provide a more comprehensive service. There's no point in Things You're Missing operating separately from them because it's not helpful to us, to them or to any musicians or people involved with music.

Things You're Missing should join the FMC as it would be mutually beneficial.

As far as I'm concerned Things You're Missing is a co-operative of people who are trying to promote the independent route for bringing music to audiences. It's based around an ideal of operating independently.
The FMC is a government-sponsored body which recognises the importance for musicians to operate collectively and actively supports this process as well as providing advice and information for people wanting to work in the music industry as a whole. It's supports working independently (very strongly in fact), but not exclusively so. Things You're Missing is focusing on independence.

Sounds promising.
I really wanted to get to this meeting and class thingum, but the delivery of 7"s from the Czechs to Belfast was 3 hours late.
Incidentally, no import duty charged.
It's the way forward, I tells yer.

Originally posted by old
Sounds promising.
I really wanted to get to this meeting and class thingum, but the delivery of 7"s from the Czechs to Belfast was 3 hours late.
Incidentally, no import duty charged.
It's the way forward, I tells yer.

No Way?!
sending them to northern ireland avoids import duty?!
is this true?

I've avoided import duty by sending to mainland UK before.
Good to see that it works for Norn Iron too.
Not that it'll be necessary if, as expected, the Czechs join the EU next year...

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Darsombra (Kosmische Drone Prog)(US)
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland
Landless: 'Lúireach' Album Launch (Glitterbeat Records)
The Unitarian Church, Stephen's Green
Dublin Unitarian Church, 112 St Stephen's Green, Dublin, D02 YP23, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back