They Came From The Stars... (UK) / Tim Sweeney (US, DFA) @ Maximum Joy 09/03 (1 Viewer)

Raar - Maximum

Website
www.myspace.com
Hi Everyone,

New York DJ, Tim Sweeney is the man behind cult internet radio show Beats in Space, which has seen guest slots from a who's who list of amazing DJ's (Optimo, Headman, Joakim, Erol Alkan, James Murphy… I could go on). This show is constantly ahead of the curve when it comes to breaking new sounds and recovering old. Tim's own mixes are a constant surprise where you can expect to hear anything from Brazilian psych and Turkish prog, cosmic and italo disco, new wave and minimal synth to the latest killer tunes.

They came from the stars, I saw them have just released the pretty amazing 'It's Time' single, which features a remix by Twitch from Optimo, to rapturous acclaim. It's a bonkers mix of psychedelic mayhem and swirling kaleidoscopic sounds. Think Sun Ra crash landing at an orbital rave and jamming with KLF, only weirder as anyone who say their performance at Maximum Joy back at the beginning of December will attest. Naturally enough we had to ask them back at the earliest opportunity. Whacked out psychedelic rave anyone!

The full shizzle on these two greats can be found further down in the body of this email.

Take care,
Darren

Maximum Joy Presents
TIM SWEENEY - DJ Set (DFA RECORDS / BEATS IN SPACE, US)
THEY CAME FROM THE STARS, I SAW THEM (UK)
& MAXIMUM JOY DJ's
Kennedy's of Westland Row
Friday 9th March // 10 til late // €12

TIM SWEENEY
After his older brother turned him on to electronic music, Tim Sweeney quickly learned to mix and made his DJ debut in the Baltimore and DC rave circuit at the age of 15. After moving to New York City in 1999, he enrolled as a music technology student at New York University and promptly set up a radio show on WNYU's AM Dial.

Since moving Beats in Space over to the FM frequency and transmitting online via streams and podcasts at Beatsinspace.net, Sweeney has attracted a strong international following for the diverse range of artists and styles portrayed on the two-and-a-half hour program. In addition to Sweeney's weekly mixes, assorted guests showcase sounds ranging from the avant-techno stylings of Carl Craig and Superpitcher and the warped disco/funk of Padded Cell to the genre-hopping turntablism of Australia's The Avalanches. Additional guests have included the Glascow-based Optimo duo, London's Erol Alkan, as well as esteemed Nordic disco producers Lindstrom and Prins Thomas.

Tims association with DFA began when he handed his demo to the then-bartender Luke Jenner who booked him to play his bar at the same time meeting Tim Goldsworthy who was producing The Rapture and starting up a new label. Sweeney knew Goldsworthy from his work with U.N.K.L.E. and Mo' Wax, which had been a huge influence since he started DJing.

Sweeney later interned at Tim Goldsworthy and James Murphy's Plantain studios and again, learned from two producers who willing to share their musical and production knowledge. His work with DFA has since led to him playing the saxophone on the DFA remix of Radio 4's "Dance To The Underground," as well as mixing a DFA set for a 2003 Muzik magazine promo CD, and collaborating with Tim Goldsworthy on both the DFA's Compilation # 2 mix and the DFA Holiday Mix 2005.

Other production work has included co-writing and scratching on two tracks for the recent Rammellzee album, Bi-Conicals of the Rammellzee on Gomma Records and a self-released 7-inch, co-produced by Alex Epton, aka xxxchange, best known for his recent work with Spank Rock.

Sweeney recently left his day job as soundtrack supervisor at Rockstar Games, where for over three years he helped to score popular games including Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas. Today, he's a full-time DJ, and has played across Europe, North and South America, and Australia. And through Sweeney finds himself on an international flight nearly every weekend, he hasn't lost sight of his initial passion.

"Week in and week out, I'm still back in New York on Tuesday to record the show," says Sweeney. "I wouldn't miss it for the world."

Listen at www.beatsinspace.net

THEY CAME FROM THE STARS, I SAW THEM
Could be the future of pop music
Steve Lamacq

'they came from the stars i saw them' is not simply 'the band to watch this year' but have been gaining critical acclaim across the country with their quirky mix of genres and unique sound winning over all who cross their path.

Their new single The Unstoppable Kite is set to be their most successful single to date. With it's meandering melodies and psychedelic twangs it is easy to see the The Unstoppable Kite being hugely popular this Springtime.

Taking in elements of prog rock, disco, funk, krautrock, free jazz, soul, techno, psychedelia, electronic experimentalism, folk, and dub 'they came from the stars i saw them' have veered into untouched ground in the world of pop music, and they are doing it in style.

The single also harbours the tracks Livin' On A Island and (it's always) Boomtime (part two) which only serve to showcase the versatility and ingenuity of this up and coming band.

This single is simply the beginning for this innovative band, with tour dates taking them all over London and Ireland in March alone, this year will see 'they came from the stars i saw them' reaching for the sky and being unstoppable.

Listen at www.myspace.com/theycamefromthestarsisawthem

Other Quotes
...the maverick spirit of Krautrock... exists elsewhere... the likes of Liars, The Boredoms, Animal Collective, Black Dice, Lightning Bolt and They Came From The Stars I Saw Them are pushing the boundaries in a way that would please the old guard.
Chris Parkin, Time Out

"utterley entrancing...this is the Beta Band, times twenty"
****review BANG! Magazine

...this could be a posse of Clangers let loose in the studio with hallucinogens, plastic recorders, and a mic pointed at the cosmic vortex
Sleaze Nation

Beautiful, poetic, creeping chaos
S.O.T.M. Bizzarre Magazine

Probably the U.Ks most pretentious band (they have worked very hard for the title)....As individual as a snowflake!
Flux

Take care,
Darren
Maximum Joy Productions
www.myspace.com/maximumjoyclub

Future Shows
March 17th – Maximum Joy Paddys Day Party with exclamatory guests (TBA)
March 23rd – Si Schroeder // Salvatore (Norway)
March 31st - B-Music Candylion aftershow party
April 20th - Cosmo Vitelli & Guests

May 4th – Charles Hayward & Guests
May 11th – Crystal Castles // Cap Pas Cap

timsweeney.jpg

THEY CAME FROM THE STARS, I SAW THEM
theycamefromthestars-small.jpg

if i didnt have my own gig on the same night i'd go to this- they came from the stars look excellent!

Zweeks get off our thread ;) :)

also playing Limerick tonight!!

heres an interview with Tim Sweeney in Discopia
http://www.discopia.com/portal/issues/issue7/sweeney1

and a new mix
http://www.residentadvisor.net/podcast-episode.asp?id=52

Was just about to plug the Limerick one!!

THEY CAME FROM THE STARS (I SAW THEM)
& ENDFINDEAD
UNDERGROUND @ BAKER PLACE
TONIGHT...DOORS 9.30PM....ADM €6
followed by disco dancin with Kennel District......
www.myspace.com/space_lab
www.myspace.com/kenneldistrictbakers

This was mad. That Horton bloke is off his head. Very enjoyable though, despite the wobbler he threw in the middle of it. He seemed to get pissed off with the crowd at one point, though not sure why. 'Its Time' is a class song.

That DJ bloke is deadly too. I wouldn't be too ,much into the old beats, but this was good. Nice atmosphere in the place too which was nice.

These Maximum Joy gigs have been deadly so far, the few I've been to anyway.

This was mad. That Horton bloke is off his head. Very enjoyable though, despite the wobbler he threw in the middle of it. He seemed to get pissed off with the crowd at one point, though not sure why. 'Its Time' is a class song.

That DJ bloke is deadly too. I wouldn't be too ,much into the old beats, but this was good. Nice atmosphere in the place too which was nice.

These Maximum Joy gigs have been deadly so far, the few I've been to anyway.

Horton is a bit away with it alright but a top lad, bonkers performance from the most eccentric band we've ever had at the Joy, no question but great fun, and as for Tim Sweeney WOW! Mixing classic disco with Kate Bush, punk funk DFA bangers, acid house and 80's electro seamlessly. Even lads who are normally rooted to the floor were up givin it loads. Crazy deadly fun!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Darsombra (Kosmische Drone Prog)(US)
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back