The World Cup (1 Viewer)

We'll see, on final day, just how right he got it.
Neither of them seem to understand offside so if they have to pllay Spain or Italy they're both fucking useless.

Are you going for Argentina then ?

I'm at a loss this time. I had a strong feeling about it before the competition and so I predicted Italy would be in the final of the Euros in 2012 and the World Cup in 2006 and got them right this time I have no such strongly held beliefs. At the moment I'm thinking it could be a surprise package vs Brazil in the final. I'd almost go for France based on the quality in the squad but putting money on France is like organising a barbecue in May. At them moment I'm only willing to predict that the last 8 will be.

Here's how I've worked it out. I think Spain will finish second in their group to Chile. Therefore they'll play Brazil in the second round and I think Brazil will do them. Columbia win their group and play Uruguay or England, either way Columbia through there. France wi their group and play Bosnia, could go either way, It is France after all. Germany to beat Russia in the round of 16. Chile to beat Mexico in the game of the tournament. Italy to beat Greece in the worst game of the tournament. Argentina batter Ecuador or Switzerland and Belgium to sneak it against Portugal

which leaves

Belgium
Argentina
Chile
Brazil
Italy
Columbia
France or Bosnia
Germany

After that I have no strong feelings whatsoever.

Either way it'll be gas if Scolari ends up in jail after the whole thing's finished.

Ah so two strikers cut, then it was probably a case of Lavezzi or Tevez ? I'd say he got it right.

Di Santo though, something like 18 goals

since 2008

Tim Vickery, who I think is very good, says that Tevez is a disruptive figure, and if your 4th choice is a bit of a prick perhaps it's sensible to keep them out. Same can be said of Nasri I suppose, though I'd say that all things being equal if Ribery and Valbuena are my guys Nasri is probably my first alternate based on talent.

So far no one squad sings to me. I like Argentina. But Messi looks like he's been keeping his powder dry for the tournament, and it's effected his form. I'm not a massive Higuain fan and is Augero fit?

I'd like Belgium to do well, but that said....wankers.

Wouldn't be surprised if Italy got there. They have it all, they've done it all, the manager is thinker.

U-r-gay?

I see two survivors from France 1998
- Samuel Eto'o
- Gianluigi Buffon

and two more from Euro 2000
- Steven Gerrard
- Iker Casillas

any more?

Colombia's Faryd Mondragon went to France 98, no World Cup or Copa America appearences since, but he was in the squads for the 2003 and 2005 CONCACAF Gold Cups, which Colombia were invited to compete in.

Didn't Belgium rob us in the qualifiers for WC1982 with a bent ref?

I hope the bastards finish bottom of their group.

What's that about the ref?

I remember a bunch of bad decisions, but not specifically that he was dodgy.

Didn't we have a goal disallowed that meant a draw instead of a win over there? Then didn't make the World Cup on fecking goal difference?

I'm sure I'll be corrected on this.

What's that about the ref?

I remember a bunch of bad decisions, but not specifically that he was dodgy.

Didn't we have a goal disallowed that meant a draw instead of a win over there? Then didn't make the World Cup on fecking goal difference?

I'm sure I'll be corrected on this.

Yep
[/QUOTE]
Not for the last time in their history, Ireland bemoaned some appalling refereeing decisions. Stapleton had a perfectly good goal chalked off in Belgium, who took a crucial point off Ireland with an 88th-minute Jan Ceulemans winner, from a free-kick earned by an Eric Gerets dive. Then in Paris, Michael Robinson had a goal disallowed, which television later showed to be valid. "After the Belgium game, I called the referee disgraceful and a cheat to his face, and I will not withdraw the remarks," said the manager Eoin Hand. "I am sure that people in authority do not want us to qualify for Spain. They would prefer the more glamorous countries to get there to make sure the tournament is a success. I cannot keep quiet about this, and nothing will change my opinions."[/QUOTE]

The Joy of Six: Republic of Ireland football moments | Scott Murray | Football | theguardian.com

[/QUOTE]
When interviewed by the Sunday Tribune in 2002, 21 years after the game, referee Nazare first confidently asserted to Paul Howard that “Frank Stapleton was offside. I remember this very clearly. It was not really my decision, you see. It was the linesman who gave me the indication… In fact, I remember now that I had blown the whistle before Stapleton touched the ball. So technically, you see, I did not disallow the goal because there was no goal to disallow.”[/QUOTE]

Cunt

Colombia's Faryd Mondragon went to France 98, no World Cup or Copa America appearences since, but he was in the squads for the 2003 and 2005 CONCACAF Gold Cups, which Colombia were invited to compete in.
He's 42!

Didn't Belgium rob us in the qualifiers for WC1982 with a bent ref?

I hope the bastards finish bottom of their group.

We already got our revenge by winning the Euro 88 qualifying group, when they'd just come third in WC 86. Imagine.

But yeah, they then did us for the 1998 qualifier, so fuck them again.

In a press conference on Friday, Deschamps fielded questions about his squad's behaviour. However when it was pointed out that there was a brothel 500m from the squad's Brazilian base in Ribeirao Preto, the former France captain reacted angrily.

"Apparently, you're better informed than me," Deschamps said. "It's bizarre, because you must frequent the same places as the players. When we went to play in Ukraine, I also know the media's evenings were quite animated.

"Curiously, you go to the same places, but that is less well-known. Often, I find out about it all the same. Just in case. Because you might have files on the players but I also have them on you. It's good to know what's going on. After that, each person does what they want."

Deschamps is telling the journos he has files on them? Sounds like another French implosion to look forward to in June.

Gotta love France going into self-destruct mode before the tournament has even started!!

On top of that, The Guardian says Deschamps is going to start legal proceedings against Nasri's missus for her tweet saying he was a shit manager. Now, I'm no expert on prepping for a World Cup but I'd imagine getting involved in a lawsuit with the wife of a discarded player a few weeks before the tournament probably isn't best practice.
I'm sure Nasri has a pal or two who are in the squad and his missus likewise among the WAGs.
Messy. :)

Although I have no insider knowledge, i think I can say with certainty, that Nasri has no friends.

Although I have no insider knowledge, i think I can say with certainty, that Nasri has no friends.
Here he is being a sulky little shit because he's being compared to Zidane.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

The only way I could have been compared to him at that age was for my shitty temper and appalling disciplinary record. I'd have been over the fucking moon at the comparison though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

M Stevens & The Ghasts + Vega Storm
Wexford Street
Landless: 'Lúireach' Album Launch (Glitterbeat Records)
The Unitarian Church, Stephen's Green
Dublin Unitarian Church, 112 St Stephen's Green, Dublin, D02 YP23, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back