The Grown Ups (1 Viewer)

cheryl

Website
Visit site
Just saw this play last night. Anyone else see it yet? It's supposed to portray typical southsiders. all it portrayed to me was how to make a play crap.:confused:

Awful play. I thought it was a missed opportunity to say something about contemporary Ireland and everyone feeling unfulfilled (which is what the writer claims it does).

Instead it just used the word 'malaise' about 20 times.

haha, yes I saw you dissin' it on the view alright, it looks SHITE from the bit they showed.

Audiodelic said:
Awful play. I thought it was a missed opportunity to say something about contemporary Ireland and everyone feeling unfulfilled (which is what the writer claims it does).

Audiodelic said:

u just summed it up perfectly!

kirstie said:
haha, yes I saw you dissin' it on the view alright, it looks SHITE from the bit they showed.

it was rubbish. what a disappointment and waste of a wednesday night (and of €20).
the 16 year old looked about 30
the supposed d4 guy was no more d4 than i am.
the old teacher was just pointless
the girlfriend was just odd
the only good person in the play was the neurotic, depressed hippy teacher

Also the plot was a disaster and Alan's character kept having to explain the whole thing to keep everyone up to speed or from falling asleep.

I said this the another night, but any time it made a vaguely interesting point, like the idea that 'people look at you funny these days if you say you're renting your home', was not only laboured but flogged to death.

D4 character = grrrr.

aoboa said:
Shame this thread isn't about the McCormack brothers pre-Jubilee band :(

no way those boys were in THE grown ups? the demo with the cover of 'you can't hurry love'. one of the great irish demos but, no disrespect or nuthin, it doens't sound like the jubilee lads one bit?

BTW - i came here cos i thought it was about the band aswell!

Be the Hokey said:
no way those boys were in THE grown ups? the demo with the cover of 'you can't hurry love'. one of the great irish demos but, no disrespect or nuthin, it doens't sound like the jubilee lads one bit?

If it was from around 1990/91 and sounded sorta like the Ramones then it probably is the same band.

aoboa said:
If it was from around 1990/91 and sounded sorta like the Ramones then it probably is the same band.

suppose it was from around that time, but they didn't sound like the ramones.

cleaner, faster, even goofier.

Be the Hokey said:
grown ups and jubilee, apples and oranges. fair dues. i never had the boys down as punks at all!

I wouldn't say that to them if I were you :D

Be the Hokey said:

I don't remember that demo

I saw the play on Saturday night. I'd read the reviews and The View and they all slated it. I found it entertaining. Of course there were flaws but it was funny in parts, engaging in other parts. I think the use of the term malaise over and over again was a joke but maybe I'm wrong. It wasn't as dreary or incomprehensible as any of the reviewers made out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland
Landless: 'Lúireach' Album Launch (Glitterbeat Records)
The Unitarian Church, Stephen's Green
Dublin Unitarian Church, 112 St Stephen's Green, Dublin, D02 YP23, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back