The 'Bands I don't Get' thread (7 Viewers)

Good answer. Totally what I was getting at.
I know what you mean though.

I think it's possible to (over)analyse everything and still be able to enjoy it. If you can't separate those bits of your mind... I dunno, you have a problem.

Hard to talk about it on thumped otherwise: "I love this cos it's good" x 20 thousand posts.

Like not what other people think, not what critics like them or hate them, not what's okay to like and what's not, not what Pitchfork say etc etc
Just put on a record and listen to it.

If I've heard something or seen a movie then I never read reviews of it after the fact. I already know what it's like.

I'm the opposite. If I’m thinking about a film for days afterwards I’ll read as many reviews as possible.

yeah, that's what I do

If I'm not with someone, I like going for a coffee or a beer and opening up mrqe.com and looking at the reviews that I have avoided til then

No. I interact with people and ideas daily and was born in a specific place and time. I still love the first two foo fighters albums though.

I love all the Foo Fighters records.
I certainly don't care what other people think,I love lots of very "uncool" music and pretty much never read reviews any more.

I love all the Foo Fighters records.
I certainly don't care what other people think,I love lots of very "uncool" music and pretty much never read reviews any more.
Ah they lost me around the third one. It had some songs I like but they were moving in a direction I had no interest in. Everything i've heard by them since then has pretty much confirmed this.

I guess I'm curious about what other people think about this and that. Call it insecurity or self doubt if you like but I do care what others think. Not in a way that will necessarily make me change my personal opinion about, say, an album, but I'm just interested in finding out what it is other people get from the album that I don't.

Of course they have a formula(coincidental or not?). Most bands with that many releases fall into one. Or else they try and be different and end up alienating a huge chunk of their audience and then try and get back to their roots/early sound for the next bunch of records.

Not trying to defend or anything. That's just how I see it.

And of course the first two are the best ones. But then I also liked the Late! tape,the Touch soundtrack and Probot. To my ears he's been involved in a lot of decent music,but I also think he had peaked before he was in Nirvana.
He's also been involved in a lot of music that sucks and can have very questionable taste at times.

I realised a very long time ago that trying to convince people something is good or bad is a waste of time. No one's gonna convince me so trying to convince others is pointless.

Pointing out connections is good though.

FKA Twigs

what is?

anyone post a link of a song of hers i might actually 'get'

What about this one?
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I love the bit in the chorus where the whole thing slows down

What about this one?
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I love the bit in the chorus where the whole thing slows down

its grand like.
the chords actually remind me of a savage garden song unfortunately. she's got a nice voice but it sure as fuck isnt anything to write home about. fairly MOR to my ears. standard, but shit? no. just dont get all the hype.

Two of my colleagues had an FKA Twigs playlist on in the lab the other day and they were all like "This is great, it's so out there" and I honestly couldn't figure out what the fuss was about. The music's a bit shuddery and she doesn't conform to the usual lyrical clichés but it didn't jump out at me as anything particularly interesting.

I used to buy a lot of these mainstream-but-cool albums that come out once or twice a year but I've learned I'll play it a few times and then give up and regret buying it instead of a Faust album or something.

Also, a band I don't get: The Sex Pistols. I had Never Mind the Bollocks on in the car and it was honestly one of the most boring drives I've had in a long time, even with the weather out to destroy me. Probably the most overrated band in music history.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back