st. patrick's day... (1 Viewer)

silo

...is a national embarassment, a reinforcing of stereotypes and an excuse to flog tat to tourists in the name of our wonderful 'culture'. it reinforces the idea of the gargantuan drinker, which contributes considerably to the high national male suicide rate, and it promotes a ridiculous ideal of 'irishness' which results in fascist interpretations of our 'racial uniqueness'. it is an overwhelmingly commercial venture with greed as the driving force.

yeah? or no?

It'll be my first day off in a month, so I'm quite happy about it.

Besides, we are a load of suicidal drunken belligerent wankers, we might as well celebrate it.

Ah the Irish, the Hungarians of the North Atlantic.

Originally posted by silo
...is a national embarassment, a reinforcing of stereotypes and an excuse to flog tat to tourists in the name of our wonderful 'culture'. it reinforces the idea of the gargantuan drinker, which contributes considerably to the high national male suicide rate, and it promotes a ridiculous ideal of 'irishness' which results in fascist interpretations of our 'racial uniqueness'. it is an overwhelmingly commercial venture with greed as the driving force.

yeah? or no?

You are so right there. The whole drinky, drinky Irish thing pisses me off no end. But I'm not much of a drinker. I tell ye, Irish peoples confidence in themselves and their ventures suffers a serious blow due to the nation of drunkards reputation. Also we are a resentful society because of it. And we have trouble breaking out of the mould here, coz the second you look or sound different you are pointed at, or misunderstood. It all becomes clear as day when you live abroad.

It's my mates birthday on Paddy's day so we usually drink, but I don't do it excessivley and puke all over Temple Bar.

Originally posted by cuntface
yeah pantone yeah.|..|

jeezuz.

when there's lads fighting in the street after the pubs empty, are you the girl hopping around going 'fucking hit him, mick! fucking kill him!' (there's always one).

Originally posted by Latex lizzie
..do you hang out in the kitchen at parties or the stairs?

actually i was gonna change my avatar; i have a picture of me at a party wearing a tiara. i might have been in the kitchen at the time, i'm not really sure.

Originally posted by Latex lizzie
..sorry dude should have used quote.that was meant for speedy.

..or as he is know known.."boring trousers"

Hey! My trouser are quite exciting for a boring Paddy.....shit! There I go, blame the booze.

Re: Re: st. patrick's day...

Originally posted by Speed Racer
You are so right there. The whole drinky, drinky Irish thing pisses me off no end. But I'm not much of a drinker. I tell ye, Irish peoples confidence in themselves and their ventures suffers a serious blow due to the nation of drunkards reputation. Also we are a resentful society because of it. And we have trouble breaking out of the mould here, coz the second you look or sound different you are pointed at, or misunderstood. It all becomes clear as day when you live abroad.

Speedy your spot on, and so is silo, I myself probably wouldn't leave the house on paddy's day unless of course I want a fight. It's easily the most depressing day of the year.

Re: Re: Re: st. patrick's day...

Originally posted by sparse
Speedy your spot on, and so is silo, I myself probably wouldn't leave the house on paddy's day unless of course I want a fight. It's easily the most depressing day of the year.

I thought so too until a few years back when I found myself passing through town mid parade and popped into the boozer for a quiet pint to avoid the crowds.
Skip to 2.30 in the morning - I was fighting with the best of them outside switch.
Yes it's awful stuff altogether that the whole fucking country goes heywire with the booze and the fists and the spitting and the gammy birds, and all because we've got no snakes; but afternoon drinking is great!

yeah i remember arriving into town at around 10pm one paddy's day completely sober

it was like something straight out of escape from new york

im tempted to give it a miss completely this year and sleep through the whole day

failing that, ill just head down to the local field with me nunchakus and a bag of cans

i'm mostly gonna be at home, sober with and angry face not dissimilar to this :mad: on paddy's day.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland
Landless: 'Lúireach' Album Launch (Glitterbeat Records)
The Unitarian Church, Stephen's Green
Dublin Unitarian Church, 112 St Stephen's Green, Dublin, D02 YP23, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back