Sexism, god help us (2 Viewers)

Why is women's tennis so popular?

amritie guys?
tennis_girl_maxi_poster_raw.jpg

oops..."and girls"

It's a pointless article. More women would play sport if women's sport was marketed in the same way men's sport is. In turn more people would be interested. Saying that it's something fundamental - that women simply aren't interested in sports - is, well, sexist. If Ireland do get to the Rugby World Cup channels such as RTE, Sky etc. could easily massively promote and drum up interest. They don't and therefore people ignore it.

If Ireland do get to the Rugby World Cup channels such as RTE, Sky etc. could easily massively promote and drum up interest. They don't and therefore people ignore it.

they would do it if they thought the return was going to be worthwhile. But, seeing as its august and the soccer world cup is over and theres not much of anything going on at the moment they don't really need to push the womens rugby world cup. Its an Irish team doing well on a world stage - its kind of irrelevant to the casual sport what the gender is, or even what the sport is (the Irish cricket team anybody?). They don't have to make an effort to get their audience. Which is great for the ladies rugby in the short term. In the long term, just like the lads cricket team, the casual sports fan will move on to whatever comes next.

It's a pointless article. More women would play sport if women's sport was marketed in the same way men's sport is. In turn more people would be interested. Saying that it's something fundamental - that women simply aren't interested in sports - is, well, sexist. If Ireland do get to the Rugby World Cup channels such as RTE, Sky etc. could easily massively promote and drum up interest. They don't and therefore people ignore it.

I don't think I got into sport due to marketing. I could be wrong but I think it fulfilled my primal urge to go to war against my neighbour.
When I could no longer go into battle, I felt lesser for it and I ate mountainous dinners.

I would guess that the reason some people get annoyed by this stuff is because the article basically says that the reason women's sports don't get coverage is because women just aren't that interested in sport (watching/doing). At least that's what I think it's saying. It's a pretty tortuous read. As such it denies that there is any structural/societal issues underlying this. Women don't do sport because it's not their thing. Women don't play music as much as men because they're not that interested. Women don't become CEOs of companies so much because they generally prefer to spend time with their children etc. etc.

I imagine that is the root of the annoyance but really you should ask those that are getting annoyed, right?

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back