Setting on a Goth/Electro night in Cork (1 Viewer)

Green Goblin

Since Goth X has been for a while now; I was thinking of setting up my own Goth/Electro night. It'll likely be a once off thing at least to start off with as I'm unsure how many people are interested.

Would there be much interest in this around these parts?

Trying to wonder where the best venue would be at the moment. Upstairs at Freds maybe? What's the best way to get into contact, the contact us part of their site is gone blargh.

Call in to Freds to sort that out. Sound lads in there. Or maybe try the Vineyard. Seem to be a good few things going on up there recently. I'd say it's free/cheap.

Classic Green Goblin.

How?

http://www.vineyard.ie/contact.htm

Dunno bout Freds, but it's prob just a case of calling in and the lads will write it into the book.

I'd have to sort a bunch of stuff out though. It'd be easier for me to sort some stuff out by email first before calling in, that sort of thing can be pretty daunting for me, even though I'm a semi-regular. To be honest I've never really used a PA system before. I'll probably have to find someone to help me run it too, still searching.

just read through the the PROC thread.
reminded me a lot of this one. And this one.
thus, Classic Green Goblin.

You're correct in spotting I have issues with the attitudes of other Irish people online and get easily frustrated by it. I probably get that from my Dad who has similar views and has written his share of angry letters in his time. In particular I've had a bad history with PROC and several of the more "Old fashioned" members seemed to enjoy acting the mick towards me(or outright bullying) ever since they found out I was on disability. Obviously I could have handled it better, but I don't think any of the comments I made against people were undeserved; frustration is understandable, being actively malicious isn't. I can be blamed for being an easy troll target(though I don't think they're traditional trolls, they're closer to bullies who pass their behaviour off as humour), but that's unfortunately the nature of my "issues" that can't be solved overnight, and personal history dealing with bullies. I have had many times when I have had to deal with people like this directly affecting my life, to the point of being thrown out of a house I just moved into over the Christmas period, and have been powerless to say anything. However, while I'd like people who read that thread to understand where I'm coming from, it doesn't really have anything to do with this thread. This isn't PROC(thank fuck), nor is it the threads you linked to.

I'd appreciate if you leave it at this. I don't believe anything like that impacts on my ability to set up a music night; generally the kind of people who attend these events are more respectful, as are people in general in the real world.

What about An Cruiscin Lan, on Douglas Street?

http://cruiscinlive.com/index.php
The Lan is near where I live and would actually be a pretty good venue for this. A lot of these nights end up shifting around venue a lot, so I'll keep it in mind.

I'd like to get a run down of costs, etc. For the first night I'll want the cheapest venue prefer. with it's own equipment, so I don't have to risk putting up cash and making a big loss due to nobody showing up. If anyone's done something like this before, I'd appreciate some background info on doing something like this.

As I think I've already said; this will be a once off to start off with as I don't believe there are enough actual goths left to support a regular goth night. However if I can build up enough interest in the scene and get a better idea of how to sell it to outsiders, it may become a regular or semi-regular event(hopefully).

I just remembered I've talked to people before while band searching who might be interested. I'll give them an email.

I'm off for the Summer so I'm trying to get this together. Now that I'm actually trying to get stuff done, it's starting to look a little daunting.

First thing is I need a name for the event(probably name it after a song or album for recognisability), and probably some kind of poster. As a multimedia student I should in theory be able to do one but I know people who probably can actually make a decent one, so I'll see. I'd love to get into making posters but if I'm going to make shit, it's pointless.

I need to get in contact with the Freds guys, and I'll try around another few places. I can't seem to find an email for anyone in Freds, which could be awkward as I'm not sure who to talk to.

I need to get in contact with the Freds guys, and I'll try around another few places. I can't seem to find an email for anyone in Freds, which could be awkward as I'm not sure who to talk to.

With venues like that the easiest way is just to call into Freds around 5 or 6 (not any later as it'd be too busy) and ask the person at the bar if the person who looks after bookings is there. If not, ask for their number or when they'll be back. There was venues in Limerick that didn't do email either which was awkward but you just have to keep trying.

Things like that can be pretty tough for me. In specific; I'm not sure what to ask.

Also I need to organise stuff like PAs, and what I'm going to actually play the music on. Should I grab a CD Player? It'd be easier to use a laptop, especially in the condition many/most of my CDs are in. I'd just be worried about a laptop crapping out but I don't think it will. I have issues with my current audio interface making random bursts of static which would not go down well at a live venue. However I do have a cheaper audio interface that should work fine.

I'll need to look into PA Rental. I think they may have a system in Freds though. I got a PM from one of the guys but unfortunately I'm banned now lol.

Doing a lot of sending emails and checking stuff out at the moment... might take a while to get things ready...

Also I need to organise stuff like PAs, and what I'm going to actually play the music on. Should I grab a CD Player?

If you go the cd route you'll need some sort of DJ dual cd thing. Otherwise there will be big pauses as you take out one cd and put in another. There will be loads of these going secondhand on adverts.ie.

It'd be easier to use a laptop, especially in the condition many/most of my CDs are in.
If you are going to use MP3s get high quality ones, alot of the MP3s on file sharing sites are not fit for public consumption. I'm not sure myself what minimum quality you would need. Probably easily found out with a google search.

Also you willl need to make sure your MP3s are all roughly the same volume. You can use MP3 Gain to normalise them. Nothing worse than a song blowing the ears off everyone.

Windows Media player has a crossfade option which will blend one song into another so you will have no silences. You just queue them up in the play list.

Or download winamp version 5.24 and use this cross fading plugin. This has more crossfading options than Windows Media Player and is a hell of a lot more configurable. That plugin won't work with later versions. So you have to use 5.24.

I'd just be worried about a laptop crapping out but I don't think it will. I have issues with my current audio interface making random bursts of static which would not go down well at a live venue. However I do have a cheaper audio interface that should work fine.

You don't need any fancy sound cards, the headphone output from your laptop to the PA desk will be fine. But do have a back up device. I used to be in a wedding band and what we would use for the disco after was a laptop, 2nd laptop or iPod as backup and a lorry load of MP3s.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland
Landless: 'Lúireach' Album Launch (Glitterbeat Records)
The Unitarian Church, Stephen's Green
Dublin Unitarian Church, 112 St Stephen's Green, Dublin, D02 YP23, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back