sebadoh? (1 Viewer)

'Harmacy' is quite good although I haven't listened to it in about 5 years. Did you know that the title harmacy came from a pharmacy sign (with the p knocked off) somewhere in Tipperary.

"The Sebadod" is good too. it had those 'hit' songs on it.

III is a nice album, once you get over the fact that most of the songs sound the same, after that they got a bit more mid-fi and lost some of their charm. Harmacy is good, though. I always preferred the Folk Implosion (another of Lou Barlow's bands) - they did a really good album that was about 20 minutes long, but I've forgotten what it was called. Since then, as with all other Lou Barlow stuff, they've been hit and miss.

Dunno if that helped much.

Originally posted by musician.thinc
Hello,
Been meaning to check this band out for years, could anyone point me towards their best album(s)?
thanks

First 2 albums The Freed Man and Weed Forestin' are very lo-fi
best start is Sebadoh III.
after that get Bakesale and Harmacy [albums #7 and #8] - both are relatively good and accessible.
My favourites are the mid period records, Rocking The Forest, Sebadoh vs Helmet and Bubble & Scrape. They're the most rewarding but not necessarily the most immediate on first listens.

Avoid The Sebadoh. It's very bad.

i reckon bakesale and harmacy are the best ones, but thats just me... i remember taping both of them onto a 90 minute tape (they both fit perfectly on one!) and listening to it wore out... the sebadoh had some great moments but not as good as the older stuff... weird is an amazing song...

gimme indie rock .|..|

Dated!!....why i oughta...
I reckon Bakesale is the one. Harmacy following closely. The sebadoh is ok, but weed forestin is better ( ..blah blah I like thier older stuff blah blah, spas).
Listen to Dinosaur Jr. if u haven't yet, aw yeah, Lou Barlow... he used to be cool:D

I remember getting bored of Bakesale very quickly, due to the MOR tendencies that appeared once they started investing in proper production values. I've got it lying around somewhere, maybe I should listen to it again...

Hmmm,
does anyone know a good place to find any of these albums in dublin as road doent have any of them and tower has gone to the dogs....

I thought Road Records was a haven for domino records. They used to have loads of their stuff before but now they only have cd1 &cd 2 of flame and 'the sebadoh' on vinyl. (according to web-site).

I reckon Freebird should have some of their stuff.

Em, you can order them in to Road but I'll take a while. I didn't think it would be a problem to find their stuff.
Hey if ludgwig zwei has Bakesale lying around, unlistened to...and you're trying to find it.... (theres a crazy logic here someplace)

All of their albums have some amazing stuff on, yes even The Sebadoh which has *at least* 3 fantastic songs. Harmacy has a few of Lou's best ever songs but is not their most consistant album. That'd be Bakesale. Anything before that and you're into home recording all of which have excellent stuff on, especiall Rocking the Forest and III. Although Eric's songs can be a bit annoying. Then there's the Freed Man - wow.

There's various CDs that are eps put together and there's another one with The Freed Man and something else on.

If you ever yearned for an album of just Lou playing his songs brilliantly then see if you can track down "lou Barlow plays the waterfront" which is a live acoustic gig where he plays songs love songs from almost all the albums. It's the best Sebadoh album never released.

the rot set in with Sebadoh when Lou got happy and married - he just had no more fuel for his previous wonderful angsty songs left, and they were his best stuff. I'd recommend for singalong greatness Harmacy and Bakesale and bubble and scrape for a 'doh novice, but there are so many other great records as well, which have already been mentioned. Plus Jason Lowenstein's recent lp isn't half bad at all.

I must go home and listen to Harmacy again. To this day I'm still convinced that it's shit. For me BubbleandScrape, Bakesale and III are the ones but some of there most amazing songs are hidden in the very hit and miss early lofi albums.

bakesale is easily the best, then bubble and scrape and III, the other older one's are very good with some less good songs (and some plain old noise) but anything after bakesale stinks. really it does. take my word for it.
the folk implosion is really good though. you should check out the lou barlow website @ www.loobiecore.com for free lou songs, and www.jakerock.com for free jason lowenstein songs.

do you really think harmacy is shite? there are two or three bogey songs but On fire and too pure ar gems!! beauty of the ride and crystal gypsy and willing to wait!! all fuckin gems me thinks..

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Darsombra (Kosmische Drone Prog)(US)
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland
Landless: 'Lúireach' Album Launch (Glitterbeat Records)
The Unitarian Church, Stephen's Green
Dublin Unitarian Church, 112 St Stephen's Green, Dublin, D02 YP23, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back