Ryan Adams releases 11 albums.... (1 Viewer)

Popeye

While I'm not a massive fan of Ryan Adams' music...I think it's pethetic that he's getting shit slung at him for releasing 11 albums, using various pseudonyms, on his www.Ryan-Adams.com website.

DJ Reggie - Holla Dayz Inn
The Shit -Christmas Apocalypse
DJ Reggie - A Reginald Gangster
DJ Reggie - Hip HopBreaker
DJ Reggie -4:20/20
The Shit - This Is Shit
The Shit - ...Hits The Fans
The Shit - Hillbilly Joel
The Shit - General Ulysees S. Hospital
The Shit - Slef Portrait
WereWolph - Feel The Laser

http://www.Ryan-Adams.com
Fair enough, many of the songs are under 1 minute long and some will argue that many should have stayed in the studio and never seen the light of day, but, I'd applaud someone like that who actually behaves like a real musician, prolifically writing and releasing new music, rather than the poseur bullshit wank of *only* releasing 1 album every two years and people going apeshit if they have to wait another year or two.

The chart rule changes in the UK on Jan 1st, means that anyone can release a song and get to number #1 without the traditional baggage associated with releasing a single. (you won't need a physical cd in the shops, like you do now, for download sales to count).

It also means that when an album is released...all the songs are 'singles' as opposed to how it is now, where the label sits around and decides which tracks should go to p&d as singles.

What it means for independent labels is gold dust.

Majors will still be able to market and promote the bejayziz out of their pop releases, but, I think we'll see more and more independents and non-pop acts appearing in the singles charts. Which is good, because the web has been taken over by conglomerates. Friends & listen counts mean nothing, it's too easy now to spam/hype an artist and key bloggers take payola style back handers so the single charts as a rough guide to what's really popular comes into it's own. It's beginning to mean something again, after years suffocating under the weight of over promotion.

On the flip side, people who buy music downloads prefer to buy 12 of their favourite songs from 4 albums rather than buying 1 album. It's pretty much the end of the old music business model..which was release an album and a clutter of singles to promote the album every few years. It's also pretty much the end of the album as a concept.

Being positive about the jan 1st rule change, I just hope the old business model is replaced by artists with attitudes like Ryan Adams and we don't get a rebirthing of 1-hit-wonder-labels or hitmaking conveyor belts like Mowtown, tin pan alley, SAW or Swedens recent equivalent in the shape of murlyn.

Very interesting. I think the album is an object in itself though. My personal buying pattern would be to buy an album if I like two or three songs I've heard off it, as opposed to getting more individual songs. I find Modest Mouse albums work really well as a unit as opposed to the individual songs. They're fairly seamless. Also, many bands have only one or two good albums and buying a number of singles or songs from over the course of their career is a waste of money.

I'll be giving the 11 albums mentioned above a wide and safe berth.

As has been discussed here already, mastering and dynamic compression is more of a threat to albums than individual song downloads.

And so on and so forth in that fashion.

My personal buying pattern would be to buy an album if I like two or three songs I've heard off it, as opposed to getting more individual songs.

I'm pretty much the same, although I am guilty of buying blind sometimes, usually based on a pals recommendation or such.

But I think that pattern or music shopping culture that instills the concept of an album is fucked, because, 8-13 year olds won't buy albums.

Kids know half the songs on an album are fillers so pretty soon, the concept of buying a collection of songs as an album doesn't even come into it. And it's at that age that people develop the culture of choosing and buying music. We get that album concept because we grew up with it.

Labels used to get away with catching kids that age because they had no choice but to buy the album, maybe tape it off the radio or get it via cassette-sharing.

They can't get away with that anymore. Kids will buy the hits they like and ignore the fillers.

Today, music is something most kids listen to while doing something else.

Can you imagine a generation-MP3 kid sitting down, lights off and *really* listening to 30 or 40 minutes of music? without checking their txt messages or email?

The first album market to be hit by a la carte music downloads, was the compilations market. Publishers freaking that they weren't making their 15% from compilcations started pushing the cover mount market and even that is dying a death of sorts.

I'll be giving the 11 albums mentioned above a wide and safe berth.

No arguments there, but I was applauding what Adams was doing, not what he has done.

As has been discussed here already, mastering and dynamic compression is more of a threat to albums than individual song downloads.

Sorry, I don't get what mastering and compression has to do with the album concept. I thought mastering was at a desktop level now, like video editing is becoming.

Can you point me to one of the previous threads where that was discussed?

shit is being slung because the music is shit. not cos he released 12 albums.
he is shit.
oh and did i mention he is shit?

LOL. I've no problem with people criticising his music. I don't like it much either.

I was applauding what Adams was doing, not what he has done.

I probably should have added that it's people criticising what he's doing...including other artists and the media/music industry. Some of the same people who are going ape shit over the first guns and roses album for 20 years.

Ryan addams got lazy, fast. Heartbreaker was a fantastic (first) album. I dont know what happened after that.

I was never a big fan, but, it's what he is doing that I find interesting....

for example, why can't bands just write and release music as often they want to...and maybe at the end of the year lump it all together in one big download for fans?

In other words lose the commercial standards/shackles of the last 30 or 40 years..where artists and bands have been boxed in by *having* to go into a studio and *having* to make an album and *only* every now and again.

Not sure if that makes any sense or not....but, I think we're only seeing a small taster of how the music biz, as we know it, is going to morph into something very different, very soon. And I love the way it scares the shit out of the bean counters.

I read earlier that yer man Gowers report recommends *not* extending the length of copyright (cliff richard must be going ape shit over that) and universal is suing apple for an ipod music tax. hilarious. what ryan adams is doing will make their fucking heads spin 360.

I was never a big fan, but, it's what he is doing that I find interesting....

Not sure if that makes any sense or not....but, I think we're only seeing a small taster of how the music biz, as we know it, is going to morph into something very different, very soon. And I love the way it scares the shit out of the bean counters.

I read earlier that yer man Gowers report recommends *not* extending the length of copyright (cliff richard must be going ape shit over that) and universal is suing apple for an ipod music tax. hilarious. what ryan adams is doing will make their fucking heads spin 360.
you repeat yourself a lot.
yeah i agree with corey. the first one was probably a fluke.
and why should you applaud someone for releasing 11 albums?
i prefer when people release one.
john frusciante got away with to some degree.
also.
this thread makes my head hurt.
for example, why can't bands just write and release music as often they want to...and maybe at the end of the year lump it all together in one big download for fans?

EHHHH. MONEY FOR ONE thing??????????? and ehhh..not having that much good music. who wants a shit album every month?

In other words lose the commercial standards/shackles of the last 30 or 40 years..where artists and bands have been boxed in by *having* to go into a studio and *having* to make an album and *only* every now and again.

THIS THREAD STINKS.

who wants a shit album every month?

er...I dunno....I would guess that people generally don't want shit albums.

That's what myspace is for innit?
A celestial landfill of (mostly) shit music.

I was asking whether we even wanted 'albums' anymore.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Darsombra (Kosmische Drone Prog)(US)
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back