RAM Question (1 Viewer)

maims bond

I've a Macbook pro with 512 MB of RAM with a 2.0ghz dual core. I want to buy more RAM but have heard that you should ideally have the same amount of RAM for each processor i.e. don't have 512 in one slot and 1 gb in another. Anyone know if this is true? Seeing as 1gb is only €50, would i better ditching the 512 and putting 1gb in both slots?

I've a Macbook pro with 512 MB of RAM with a 2.0ghz dual core. I want to buy more RAM but have heard that you should ideally have the same amount of RAM for each processor i.e. don't have 512 in one slot and 1 gb in another. Anyone know if this is true? Seeing as 1gb is only €50, would i better ditching the 512 and putting 1gb in both slots?

i don't think it matters. ive 1 gb in one slot and 256 in the other on a dell laptop. no appreciable problems...

edit: never mind. go with petes advice.

cheers, 2gb it is then. Komplett charge 46 per 1 gb but are currently out of stock for a couple of weeks, any other places?

I've a McBook Pro too. Have 1 1Gig chip. Wanna buy another. Is it important that I buy second from the same chip manufacturer?
Thanks

Officially, the Intel dual-core chips need to have the same amount of RAM each to address. So yes, matched pairs are better here. But in practice, it shouldn't make all that much difference.

The general consensus is that more RAM is more important than matched RAM:-
http://lowendmac.com/musings/07/0525.html

Some people think it best to have identical RAM manufacturers for the pairs, but I think that sounds like the sort of thing that RAM salesmen would say.

I've had loads of problems with bad RAM.

Best to not use third party for a mac, and deffo use identical pairs in the appropriate slots.

I've had loads of problems with bad RAM.

Best to not use third party for a mac, and deffo use identical pairs in the appropriate slots.

2 GB of memory from the apple store costs 480 euro.
The same amount of memory costs 100 euro from Komplett.

Einstein.bmp

All I'm sayin' is be careful when buying RAM dude.
I have 4 sticks of RAM sitting in a drawer that are useless to me.

Best to do a screen grab of your System Profiler and send/show it to whomever you are buying from to make sure you dont get something inappropriate for your system.

It aint rocket science

gummo-01v.jpg

Ah no, I hear ya. Komplett have a cool feature where you can enter the machine you have and it'll lead you to the RAM you need. I'm prepared to risk it for the cost saving. Don't get the picture reference though:confused:

All I'm sayin' is be careful when buying RAM dude.
I have 4 sticks of RAM sitting in a drawer that are useless to me.

Best to do a screen grab of your System Profiler and send/show it to whomever you are buying from to make sure you dont get something inappropriate for your system.

It aint rocket science

gummo-01v.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back