Question (1 Viewer)

pigeon2

Website
Visit site
Right im asking a serious question about what i think is an extremely relevent topic "In the scene" i dont want any fuckin bullshit rumours to develop as a result of this here goes
xxx
There's no denying that the ppl who put on GZ work hard and have their hearts in the right place but how come less and less people are showing up for gigs - even with big name bands (ds13) the crowds are still a little thin ?
xxx
My guess is ppl dont go out on weekdays (school-college-work)
The scene is becoming really small and to add to the problem i've noticed that the old punx seem to seperate themselves from the young punx which makes the problem worse.
xxx
Where do we go from here ?

possibly putting on gigs less often, shit as that is, might work. or else by as many people as possible beeing involved themselves in creating the gz collective, thus everyone would have control over the gigs, and could input and discus their resons for the lack of people or loss of enthusiasm. hmmm.
for anyone who doesnt know, theres a meeting for anyone that wants to go about the future of gz on wednesday at about 8 before the gig, at the parnell mooney.
as for ages seperations, i think maybee if we had an all ages venue there would b a wider age range and if it was bring yer own beer, the old and young alike would b delighted to b there! but of course its wishfull thinking. perhaps we could teleport the warzone center down here..............
hmmmm again, i dont know any answers but this stuff really does need to b discussed.
like i said, if u can make it to the meeting......

yes, gigs less often is the answer i think. it is unfortunate that many of say the thumped/whelans bands never embraced the place even though they were afforded the chance to play there on numerous occasions (alright, well maybe its not their fault, its that most of the "punks" slagged them off and most of their crowd wouldnt be seen dead in a dungy underground bar when they can "be seen" in whelans or tbmc), but still gz did a lot that can be built on if we go in the right direction now.
an idea that is being floated around right now is: we form a self sustaining collective of core, responsiple members with a collective bank account, in this way letting individual people book bands and put on gigs with the phsyically support of the other collective members and the financial support of the collective kitty. the kids worked in this way and did it successfully for two years with very, very few hardworking core members. with the enthusiasm that's being expressed right now, theres no telling what a similar collective could do in the future.
(of course this is just one idea, and it depends on our ability to track down new and cheap gig venues).

see you on wednesday.

Originally posted by damien
it is unfortunate that many of say the thumped/whelans bands never embraced the place even though they were afforded the chance to play there on numerous occasions

i don't know if the coldspoon conspiracy are considered a "thumped/whelans" band, but i thought GZ was fuckin deadly when we played there (with Aina & Shiner).

that was the only time we were asked to play there, but we gladly would again.

i don't know how we could have "embraced" it any more.
i went along any time there was a band on that interested me (Les Savy Fav, Enon, Robocop Kraus, Feverdream).

fair enough if you weren't referring to us in the first place.

so, how you keepin Damo?
haven't seen you around in bleedin ages.

yeah it did just occur to me that loads of the bands in question did, in fact, specifically mention that they thought the gigs were great (ie yourselves, dudleys and large mound), and that the problem in fact lies with the gig-goers, eg people coming to see large mound during the summer and leaving straight after they play, some of the usual gz attendees slagging off joan of arse for no apparent reason... duh, it works both ways, if we want to have a secure, strong and vibrant scene we have to make links with others and try to work with them, otherwise shit will die.

but the thing about having it on a saturday nite is that it fucks up the whole arrangement of the irish scene.it was handy having on a thursday because gigs in galway are on a wednesday or a sunday,ye can get a gig in belfast or cork on a friday or saturday really.but no one was doing thursday...so it was good.

hard to know

just a few thoughts as i've never been to gz but anyway....

firstly midweek has to put people off who work, study etc, obviously it's hard to get a venue etc but this will definitley put peopel off, however if they were goign before midweek and have stopped coming maybe there are other reasons.

have you tried asking peopel who went why they dont go anymore? is it the legendery 5 euro pints? is it the choice of bands?do they find it cliquey? ask them. they must be still around dublin somewhere.

it is easy to put on too many gigs, i know this from new ross when we tried to put on gigs every week - peopel get fed up and want a change. also there is a lot of choice in dublin, temple , gz, ska nights, cinema, football, parks, parties etc plus of course the many punks who go raving on the quiet etc. its easy not to go to a particular gig.

what do you want - a club for punks or a club which will get new people into punk, two very different things if you ask me.
for example you say ds13 are a really big name band, bet you hardly anyone outside of the punk scene in ireland have ever heard of them or knew who they were when they saw the poster.
maybe a different approach is needed if you want to try and get more people into the "scene" as opposed to hoping peopel stumble on it themselves. ok so every year there are soem new punks turn up, is this enough?

peopel always keep themsleves seperate, i.e. we all have our own crowd we knock around with, doesnt mean there is a split or that everyone hates each other just different mates etc. the older lot are no worse i reckon than others. you can pick out "crews" to use a horrible word on the scene easily, eg the peopel around easpa measa, puget, kilkenny people etc are a crowd, just as maybe the older ones are a crowd, crowds can be hard to "break into" as they have in jokes, their own tastes etc plus they often cant be bothered letting in new peopel as they already have mates etc. i hang rpound with several different groups but i often like ot hang with old heads i lived with befopre or who i know years etc, dont think thats a problem in itself.

finally if yo uare goign to put effort into fgettign a premises why just think about bands / gigs /practice rooms, most people arent in bandsfrom what i reckon, maybe somewhere to meet, drink coffee in a space where peopel can talk to each other -hard at gigs- and start to talk about the relevance of punk etc might be a bitof a good starting place, god forbid but soem ordinary peopel from the area might just call in to see whats going on

obviously if a premises was found it could only work if it was used for the kinds of things you describe.
anyone got a rich uncle who wants to put up a years rent for a reasonably sized room/building close to the city centre?

everything else you say is totally true... but usually there are so few people involved in the productive side of the scene that even relatively simple things like getting gigs happening is a hassle, so there is little time or focus put on the task of actively shaping and helping the scene grow.

now, if we took the robert stephenson approach...

you'd get more ppl if it wasnt over 18's and on weeknights because me and a few other ppl i kno want to go to it .. but cant .. .... i've badly wanted to go since it started .. lucky for me Vitamin X are playing in the Temple .. so finally i get to see a good band for definite ..

Suck A Goat's Balls ..

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Darsombra (Kosmische Drone Prog)(US)
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back