Proto Punk (3 Viewers)

Television?
New York Dolls
Wire

Correct me if im wrong though.
Television might be up there but they were part of the CBGBs scene so i dunno. The Neon Boys ep(early incarnation of Television with Richard Hell on bass/vocals) is deffo worth checkin ' out if ya like that sort of thing and they probably fall into the proto-punk thing more easily.

Wire are post-punk i'd say. The key word is angular:)

A big ,big mistake.
Aolways left me cold. Although saying that, i felt the same way about The Dictators for years until i copped on and gave the albums a decent listen....oh dear i feel a another youtube-off coming on...

One of the greatest tunes ever(neon boys)

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Aolways left me cold. Although saying that, i felt the same way about The Dictators for years until i copped on and gave the albums a decent listen....oh dear i feel a another youtube-off coming on...

One of the greatest tunes ever(neon boys)

YouTube - Don't Die

sorry, i have to quote the lyrics on this

I see the passionate who killed themselves with drink
Or drugs or speeding cars in order not to think
They must have felt like there just nothing was to do
Oh why hast thou murdered those who see the most in search of a true thrill or clue

Don't die, don't die, don't die, don't die... [throughout]

There's something wrong here where the best ones want to go
Parker, Lautreamont, Monroe they held it just to throw
The world away who were its grace before they left
To choose to have a point of view oblivious that leaves the rest of us bereft

There I see the piercing eyes that look through all until they see their back
There where any thought will think about itself and that's the only fact
There a man has left just death, delerium, and drugs, or feel the lack

The air is cool today the time is drawing near
My walls are white and so's my brain afloat in self-made fear
A banal feeling of the sort "I ain't insane"
No fate worse than to never leave yourself and it's as well the most repulsive pain

The air is cool today that whistles through my ribs
My skull is full of sand that dribbles down upon my bib
I call out "Baby" but her face looks like a clock
Tick tock, alive, triumphant victims so surprised we can't recover from the shock

Me, I like a joke as much as anybody else but some are rough
Yeah when the joke's on you though you're the joker too you've had enough
Then though there is no one there, because there's nothing there, you call your bluff

That youtube clip says Richard Hell and the Voidoids at the start of it. What's going on Shane-o?

That youtube clip says Richard Hell and the Voidoids at the start of it. What's going on Shane-o?
Not many peeps know about the neon boys so i assume it's for "search" purposes...then again the only album i have by Richard Hell is 'blank generation' so for all i know it may have been re-released;it was written by Hell i do know that much.
But it was deffo on the Neon Boys ep first

Aolways left me cold. Although saying that, i felt the same way about The Dictators for years until i copped on and gave the albums a decent listen
Have you listened to Love It To Death or Killer? Or to a lesser degree Billion Dollar Babies or Schools' Out?
Wasn't Lydon's audition for the Sex Pistols him singing along to an Alice Cooper song on the juke box?
The whole genre of glam could be counted as proto punk.

Have you listened to Love It To Death or Killer? Or to a lesser degree Billion Dollar Babies or Schools' Out?
Wasn't Lydon's audition for the Sex Pistols him singing along to an Alice Cooper song on the juke box?
The whole genre of glam could be counted as proto punk.
Nope havn't listened to any of that but i will check it out...i wern't saying Alice Cooper didn't have his place or anything, i just ain't heard enough to be sold on the quality of his stuff. yeah, i agree with ya on the glam buzz; i had a very unsatisfying conveersation with a Punnnxxxx 1 night trying to sell the merits of stompo/glam, he was having none of it though!

Nope havn't listened to any of that but i will check it out...i wern't saying Alice Cooper didn't have his place or anything, i just ain't heard enough to be sold on the quality of his stuff. yeah, i agree with ya on the glam buzz; i had a very unsatisfying conveersation with a Punnnxxxx 1 night trying to sell the merits of stompo/glam, he was having none of it though!

those Alice Cooper records are very different to what most people think of as Alice Cooper. None of the poison crap.
I would fail to see how glam's influence on punk could be ignored. Like it or not. The Damned toured with Bolan, Roxy Music are always mentioned by first wave punks and just the sound of a lot of heavier glam is right there with punk
60's garage(Nuggets)+pub rock+glam=punk.

those Alice Cooper records are very different to what most people think of as Alice Cooper. None of the poison crap.
I would fail to see how glam's influence on punk could be ignored. Like it or not. The Damned toured with Bolan, Roxy Music are always mentioned by first wave punks and just the sound of a lot of heavier glam is right there with punk
you're so passionate gaz

60's garage(Nuggets)+pub rock+glam=punk.

i concur. Swell Maps where obsessive Bolan fans, even ran a fan club. Read About Seymour was a quote from Bolan too...plus there was a huge DIY private press seen going on with the Glam kids. have some bits and its killer :)
anyone mention the Seeds, Music Machine and even in europe with the whole Holland 65-67 thing. krautrock is probably more post punk.
the residents where there all the way through (and still are :)). anyone ever hear the album by Cromagnon called Orgasm, mad stuff, heard runours that its the residents, before they became the eye for a head mad things.
would love to get some Neon Boys a long long time want. have heard a copy of the Television session with Eno, had a copy of the bootleg cd, but lost it in a move:mad:

here al, you seen "You’re Gonna Miss Me When I’m Gone"??

I have seen it and I loves it......

Tell you what tho I'm not really into the Monks or the Sonics etc...

Some ppl were right earlier when they say thats more kind of quirky garage sort of stuff ; which i don't find appealing.

I find Television a bit gaff.... so overplayed and so overrated. funnny, they came from being SO underrated to SO overrated.

Wire and that kind is so much better = missing chairs etc

Wire and that kind is so much better = missing chairs etc
you want Eno-Taking Tiger Mountain By Stratergy then

have a magazine interview with Colin Newman where he said meeting Eno was the biggest influence on his artistic life. he was at college, got a lift with a professor who was also giving one to thee bald one. he says just the converstaions on that drive gave him a different out look on life.
Dunno if you have the Wire diography Al, not great worth a read though

you want Eno-Taking Tiger Mountain By Stratergy then

have a magazine interview with Colin Newman where he said meeting Eno was the biggest influence on his artistic life. he was at college, got a lift with a professor who was also giving one to thee bald one. he says just the converstaions on that drive gave him a different out look on life.
Dunno if you have the Wire diography Al, not great worth a read though

nice 1

Ive got 22 eno albums and counting !

and unrealesed stuff

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland
Landless: 'Lúireach' Album Launch (Glitterbeat Records)
The Unitarian Church, Stephen's Green
Dublin Unitarian Church, 112 St Stephen's Green, Dublin, D02 YP23, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back