Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
Contributor
Since 1999
Website
www.thedudleycorporation.com
Boo

We're sad to announce that issue 46 of Plan B, out on 1 June, is to be the final issue of the magazine.
After a lot of deliberation, we've come to the decision that it is no longer financially possible for us to continue publishing Plan B. To do so in the current economic climate would involve us making cuts in staff, print quality, amount of content, and the size and/or frequency of the mag - and those are compromises we don't want to make, not least because we don't think they will, in the long term, benefit any of us. We're really proud of what we've done, and choose to end on a high note, while things are still relatively stable.

earlier thread deleted 'cos of embargo

splash_cover1_200809132.jpg

aw man, only renewed my subscription at christmas :( so sad to see it go. Some of the writing could be totally obtuse and willfully self-important but some of it was lovely, and above all they always introduced the reader to so many new bands that they were genuinely passionate about, rather than bands who were the new 'in' thing or whatever...some of the bands on their covers would never ever get to be on another magazine cover. Sigh.

A pretentious Foggy Notions.

yup.

writing was truly awful.

wasn't it?

Go for it.

i am.

the writing could be totally obtuse and willfully self-important but some of it was lovely

i read it once and vowed never to read the magazine again. horrible "voice" or whatever the editorial equivalent is (is there such a thing?)

i have a subscription to the wire which i enjoy even though there can be a lot of guff in that (recent sycophant jeff mills interview, disappointing care taker interview this issue, pointless critical beats section).

I also love the design/art direction in the wire too, like sometimes there'll be a theme running through all the main interview pics.

cds are usually good too.

er, that's it.

if you read it once, then you missed out on some good stuff.
I'm finding the Wire a lot easier to read these days as I take my time with it and really read what they say rather than just skimming.
I think with Plan B with a lot of the main writers they wanted to write really 'avant garde', out-there articles, playing around with the traditional format and sort of creating their own anti-journalism style. There was also a real emphasis on the personal aspect to it - the articles were very subjective. In one way I love that as it really brings across the enthusiasm and love the writers have for the bands/music.
But on the other hand, in many cases it put up this wall between the writer and reader - sometimes the articles actually made no sense and were very inscrutable. In some cases it was less about the music and more about the life of the writer - like Everett True for example, some of his pieces just leave me cold. But it's a personal thing - that's just my feelings on it. As someone who writes about music sometimes I had my eyes opened by how they didn't conform to certain 'standards' and other times I was really frustrated.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland
Landless: 'Lúireach' Album Launch (Glitterbeat Records)
The Unitarian Church, Stephen's Green
Dublin Unitarian Church, 112 St Stephen's Green, Dublin, D02 YP23, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back