Our band could be your life (1 Viewer)

Wheels

Website
www.delicious9.com
Just want to tell everyone about this book, as it has been giving me much joy over the last week or so. It's a really well written chronicle of American punk/indie bands from '81 to '91.
Black Flag, Husker Du, Sonic Youth, Minutemen, Fugazi etc;

Basically it's a really good read and them old records are sounding real good right now.

Eamonn's knowledge of the minneapolis post-punk scene is really comprehensive I thought, plus the occasional few paragraphs on the football makes for nice interludes.

Don't be minding him hag, it's written by a guy called Michael Azerrad and you'll be able to pick up a copy of it in Tower. It does bring it all back, and made me go out and buy lots of replacements records and all.

AlphaRelish said:
who he buh? some kinda authority figure?

not too sure, I think he's just a writer who's mad into the tunes and was into all that stuff as a youngfla

yeah? can i just borrow it from someone? i got a lovely book called 'anam cara' over the weekend, i could do swapsies for a while like.

kirstie said:
not too sure, I think he's just a writer who's mad into the tunes and was into all that stuff as a youngfla

AlphaRelish said:
yeah? can i just borrow it from someone? i got a lovely book called 'anam cara' over the weekend, i could do swapsies for a while like.

Rad Alarm has my copy. I fear for its safe return. The last 2 things I loaned him, namely Footloose and Platoon, he kept for a year and then spilled beer all over the day before he was going to give them back.

AlphaRelish said:
who he buh? some kinda authority figure?

he also wrote 'come as you are', the nirvana biography. pretty rocking, that one.

Wheels said:
He wrote Come as you are, not the song. I think Cheap Trick can lay claim to that...

was that not killing joke? wrote a song identical to come as you are, only, y'know, 20 years ago?

The Butthole Surfers article in ti is hilarious!
About how one of them lost his mind at some dutch gig and caused a near riot.
Minor Threat & Black Flag ones are cool too....

I`m still trying to get the "ALL AGES - Reflections on Straightedge" which i`ve heard has some good reading.

Wheels said:
He wrote Come as you are, not the song. I think Cheap Trick can lay claim to that...

a good companion book to this is "Route 666:On the road to nirvana" by Gina Arnold. It covers the same period (as Robert Christgau calls it: "Amer-indie"")- she was a scenester in san fran and her gaff was a crashpad for all the touring bands like the replacements and husker du etc. each chapter deals with a certain scene and features Calvin Johnson, Fugazi and all the heads. Its about the era that birthed nirvana - not just about them....a good read and poignant too.

there's another book with interviews with albini, ian mckaye, rollins, calvin and co but its name escapes me. waterstones in edinburgh was great for spending a day or three reading books for free!

spectraljanitor said:
a good companion book to this is "Route 666:On the road to nirvana" by Gina Arnold. It covers the same period (as Robert Christgau calls it: "Amer-indie"")- she was a scenester in san fran and her gaff was a crashpad for all the touring bands like the replacements and husker du etc. each chapter deals with a certain scene and features Calvin Johnson, Fugazi and all the heads. Its about the era that birthed nirvana - not just about them....a good read and poignant too.

there's another book with interviews with albini, ian mckaye, rollins, calvin and co but its name escapes me. waterstones in edinburgh was great for spending a day or three reading books for free!

'we owe you nothing: punk planet collected interviews' is pretty rocking too. steve albini, kathleen hanna, ian mackaye, um, noam chomsky.

www.punkplanet.com

it's in there somewhere...

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland
Landless: 'Lúireach' Album Launch (Glitterbeat Records)
The Unitarian Church, Stephen's Green
Dublin Unitarian Church, 112 St Stephen's Green, Dublin, D02 YP23, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back