o'death pick the egoeccentric Hangover Mixtape Vol. 29 (1 Viewer)

sugarlips

Website
www.myspace.com
oDeathbckgrd_gallery.gif

http://egoeccentric.blogspot.com/2008/08/odeath-pick-egoeccentric-hangover.html

Savage - can't wait to listen to this AND see/hear O'Death again - they're savage craic altogether...

worth noting as well - these mixtapes are the business, have solved many a 'what to listen to now' dilemma for me... cheers ears!

Foggy Notions presents

O’DEATH

+ Stoat

Whelan’s, Sep 25, 8pm

Tickets €15 from City Discs, Tickets.ie, Road Recs, Ticketmaster, WAV Box Office

"This New York band draws from the starkness and spiritual purity of Appalachian folk, the noisemongering of punk and the rowdy theatricality of Tom Waits.” – New York Times

“Brooklyn’s O’Death shares some commonalities with a shootout that winds up leaving a saloon worse for wear and without a single glass capable of holding any liquid.” – Daytrotter.com

“If your idea of a good time is a crowd of folks moshing to the sound of banjo feedback and Savage Republic drumming, then live O'Death is your cup of moonshine." - Village Voice

Since 2007’s much buzzed-about Head Home, New York quintet O’Death has evolved the possessed Americana-meets-gypsy-punk of recent years into a more urgent, unrelenting celebration of life, death and everything in between.

New album Broken Hymns, Limbs and Skin, (co-produced with Alex Newport-Two Gallants, Locust) feels like a giddy junkyard hoedown - from the panicked fiddle screeches of opener “Low Tide” to the celebratory gallop of closer “Lean-To.” At times it sounds morose or contemplative, but underneath the melancholy is a gospel fervor, bashed from paint buckets, banjos, guitars and anything else within kicking distance.

“After Head Home, we only wrote three songs that year,” says drummer David Rogers-Berry. “By the end of that year, I was like, ‘I don’t know if I can do this project. This is making me really crazy and sick and I don’t like it.’ As soon as we started writing new music again, I was like, ‘that’s why we have this band!’ Playing music is the only thing that matters to me.”

Broken Hymns… carries a deeper meaning as well. In November 2007 Rogers-Berry’s fiancé died of an aneurysm. The group cancelled their European tour plans at the time and returned to her family’s side.

Recording the album fostered a deeper bond in the band. Working with veteran producer Newport, the band let their instruments bleed into one another, replicating their live sound. “We’re tired of people saying our records don’t stand up to our live performances,” says Rogers-Berry. “So we tried to bring some of that energy to it.” They turned it into a celebration. “You know those giant, gallon jugs of Jack Daniels,” Newport says, “I now have a graveyard of those things in my studio.”

In the end, they finally created an album that captured who O’Death is as a band - their dark side and their hopeful nature. From the oompah-pah of “Mountain Shifts” to the gypsy violin of “Home,” it also shows the breadth of their musical command. “It was a hard winter,” says Rogers-Berry, “but this record saved my life.”

Broken Hymns, Limbs and Skin is out Sep 5 on City Slang.

Check out O’Death’s Take Away performance: www.blogotheque.net/article.php3?id_article=3765

And their recent Daytrotter Session:
www.daytrotter.com/article/789/free-songs-odeath

www.mypsace.com/odeath
www.odeath.net

Got my ticket for this already - they're a fantastic live band. New album is excellent as well.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

O'Death in Bermuda...

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Landless: 'Lúireach' Album Launch (Glitterbeat Records)
The Unitarian Church, Stephen's Green
Dublin Unitarian Church, 112 St Stephen's Green, Dublin, D02 YP23, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back