Minor Pleasures (13 Viewers)

It's a good apology. My god is at the discotheque

i was also 1983 and i recognise none of those except #2 and #4

and #12 (when did anyone have a beeper...?)
I based almost all of it on number 7. The Gilmore Girls used beepers until about season 3 when they got mobile phones and never commented on it. That's the extent of my knowledge about beepers.

Oh and the pizza place part of Supermacs on o'Connell Street give you a beeper to let you know when your pizza is ready. So you can go shopping... I guess?

My first serious job where I was in charge, the boss gave me his beeper to wait for a customer to send a number to ring for a message that was (at the time) highly important.
So I sit all fucking weekend with this thing in front of me on the coffee table, waiting.
I had it on beep & vibrate so I wouldn't miss a thing.
Eventually the guy sends the number and the thing goes off, and in doing so beeps and vibrates itself off the fucking coffee table and breaks apart on the floor as I dive for it.
I was able to put it back together but the batteries had come out and it didn't have a memory, so no number.
I cursed for a bit and went to the pub.

Dudes would be all flash with their beepers though, like you were an important guy with your fucking beeper. Picking it up when it beeped and either doing an 'as-if' face, like you're time isn't worth a call or getting a serious head on you and heading to the payphone.

Fucking beepers. Have I really lived that fucking long?

I feel like Peter Ustinov in Logan's Run.

all the smoke dealers in Ranelagh had 'em, early to mid 90s

Yup. Dealer's best friend.
Episode 1 of The Real World of ever on MTV, the black girl's beeper went off and the pretty girl asked her if she sold drugs.
This led to an important discussion about race in America.

+1 on Troubadour. Great place.

Went to Troubador and it was deadly but all the Brazilians got lost cos it's not exactly central.

After doing some research I'm thinking my only options for city centre are Temple Lane and Loop. Anyone ever used the latter? Or know of anywhere else. We only have instruments so we need a full backline and cymbal hire etc..

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back