Meeting People / Aspergers (3 Viewers)

There's an ad to the right of my screen for a dating agency called plentyoffish.com
Try that. The girl in the picture seems nice and if you click the link, Pete will get the money.

How/where to meet new people? I think that's simple enough.

How?
Talk to people.

Where?
Pub,
Gigs,
Church,
Join a sports club,
Join a choir,
Through friends,
Call up someone you half know,
Night courses,
Teach English to foreigners,
Move to Williamsburg,
Internet forums,
Work,
The Dole office,
Start a Band,
Internet dating sites,
Charity Work,
Go travelling,
Become a Giggolo.

Anything else? (In one sentence).

And for me it would be very interesting to find someone that thinks like I do, since as of yet I've met next to nobody.

But you see, I met my best friend in the world, someone who has the same values as I have, has the same sense as humour and has the same aspirations DESPITE the differences in our musical tastes or the way we dressed or who we hung out with.

The problem is I wouldn't be "broadening" my musical horizons as such, it'd be focusing more on the mainstream which in my opinion defeats the point of doing so(even if you shouldn't disregard music because it's mainstream - it's still silly to act like you're diversifying when there's so much else out there). The sheer homogeny of Irish people is getting to me.
I disagree. Judging by the music you say you like your horizons are pretty damn small. While i personally think liking the same music is a stupid thing to look for in a person i'm trying to go along with your terms. And stop using words like 'mainstream' like you're still 15.

How do you propose someone with aspergers talks to strangers in a pub?

I don't know any people that know many other people. The other options, I fail to see how ay of the others would help me meet someone with common interests. I have enough people I know that I DON'T share common interests with, and here people are telling me I need more of something I know I don't find fulfilling.

Most people can get away with those things because their interests are far more likely to be shared by the people they meet. Even if they say interests don't matter, it's because it's a passive thing, they still have more in common without actively paying attention. Unfortunately my taste has, at least for this country that I'm stuck in right now, turned out to be a it out there as far as most people are concerned.

But you see, I met my best friend in the world, someone who has the same values as I have, has the same sense as humour and has the same aspirations DESPITE the differences in our musical tastes or the way we dressed or who we hung out with.

I did say common interests, not just music. Music is important for slightly different reasons.

'mainstream'
What else do you want me to call it? Ireland does have a problem, probably because we're a small country, of rarely venturing outside of what's advertised to them. You don't get people as much into small obscure little things.

This is just what I think when I browse profiles, etc., the music these people are into is mostly stuff that gets radioplay or KERRANG coverage, etc., and if they like stuff like anime, it'll only be the ones that are well known over here.

I don't think it's fair that I'm not even allowed to talk about this.

I disagree. Judging by the music you say you like your horizons are pretty damn small.

I'm into a fairly electic mix of music actually. But there are still some types of music I'd rather go out with a fan of than others.

I don't know, for me, I'm a bit of a romantic and I don't think that many people nowadays truly are in the sense that I mean it. I believe in a kind of "spiritual" depth to love, not religious crap, but something else I don't know how to describe, just some kind of deeper feeling, explorative introspection but with 2 people.

I don't know how to describe it, but if you listen to some Dead Can Dance or Black Tape for a Blue Girl, that's it.

So that's kinda why I want to be with someone who's into that kind of music. There's just a certain ambiance that describes how I feel about relating to "soulmate". I am aware that this comes off as being childish to some people because there's this association with teenagers about assigning importance to bands or a genre of music, but I'm also aware that these people probably aren't even beginning to understand what I'm talking about.

it's true - i love sport and SweetO is soooooo far off liking sport she's off the radar.

what's this 'sport' thing you keep going on about? :confused:

Green Goblin,

There has been a lot of fantastic advice from people in this thread, but perhaps if nothing that people are saying is ringing true to you, it's time to step away from the internet and try and find some face-to-face support in Cork.

You need to talk to people who have a better understanding of Aspergers than we have here. From what I know of Aspergers, people with it can have difficulty with social interaction etc, as you are experiencing at the moment.

There are supports out there in the 'real world', so for your own well-being maybe do a little research or ask around and find a support group/doctor/counsellor/etc who can advise and help you. It's going to be a lot more beneficial than getting advice on here from strangers and then rejecting all of it.

what's this 'sport' thing you keep going on about? :confused:

Green Goblin,

There has been a lot of fantastic advice from people in this thread, but perhaps if nothing that people are saying is ringing true to you, it's time to step away from the internet and try and find some face-to-face support in Cork.

You need to talk to people who have a better understanding of Aspergers than we have here. From what I know of Aspergers, people with it can have difficulty with social interaction etc, as you are experiencing at the moment.

There are supports out there in the 'real world', so for your own well-being maybe do a little research or ask around and find a support group/doctor/counsellor/etc who can advise and help you. It's going to be a lot more beneficial than getting advice on here from strangers and then rejecting all of it.
You're for it now

How do you propose someone with aspergers talks to strangers in a pub?

Thats absolute bullshit. I work with people with aspergers and have several friends with aspergers also who are all cool, bubbly people. yes they are diffuculty starting a conversation but its not impossible. I think you need to stop blaming your disability for everything honestly and start looking at the other issues that may be holding you back from meeting someone. Alot of people have pointed out valid reasons and good suggestions for meeting people. Do you have a set answer in mind that you're waiting for someone to suggest that you keep saying none of the suggestions are any use to you?

suggestions are that.... suggestions, noone is forcing you to take them. that said noone is forcing you to tell everyone their advice is useless either

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland
Landless: 'Lúireach' Album Launch (Glitterbeat Records)
The Unitarian Church, Stephen's Green
Dublin Unitarian Church, 112 St Stephen's Green, Dublin, D02 YP23, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back