Magnetic Fields (1 Viewer)

snakybus said:
Any of you clowns go to this?

unbelievably good, possibly better than the last time.

Only downer was that it wasn't in a smaller venue, woulda been nicer.
it was a real rip off though.i can't imagine them to be a particularly extraordinary live band.good though yea?if i had the money i would've went

it was expensive all right, bad judgement on someone's part - you could tell there were a lot of freeloaders there, because they just weren't into it, and the place was half empty (it's the magnetic fields, it could never be half full)

I thought it was good, but not unbelievably so. I dunno - the piano/guitar/cello/uke thing has kind of worn off a bit on me. It's interesting to hear the older stuff done this way, but it did have a kind of MTV Unplugged feel to it. I believe that Stephin Merritt's hearing problems mean that he cannot have any percussion on stage, so this is hardly likely to change.

And no Sixths songs! It annoys me that they never play anything that hasn't been released, but the inclusion of a couple of merritt vocalled Sixths songs usually makes up for it.

I agree with you about the venue size - for such a quiet gig, it would have been much more suited to a more intimate venue.

The Real Tuesday Weld were great though.

The Real Tuesday Weld were great though.[/QUOTE]
what was the real tuesday weld's live show like? i was v suprised to see them supporting magnetic fields - do they use real instruments onstage?

Deaglan said:
The Real Tuesday Weld were great though.
what was the real tuesday weld's live show like? i was v suprised to see them supporting magnetic fields - do they use real instruments onstage?[/QUOTE]

Yup - real instruments, including loads of clarinet and violin action. I was half expecting just one guy with a sampler, so was quite surprised to see a besuited six piece. Really good fun - the lead guy was very fey and affected, but managed to pull it off in a charming way. Played mostly from I Lucifer, and included a cover of Stand By Your Man. I though they complemented the Magnetic Fields perfectly.

jack nance hair said:
I though they complemented the Magnetic Fields perfectly.

I agree TOTALLY! Got to tell the femmy straight boy he gave a great set after the show. I will defo pick up one of their cds.

Hey Snaky, did I mention that Nora and The Aluminum Group opened for the Magnetic Fields at Schubas about 6 years ago??

Ps. A Home at the End of the World is a GREAT movie and I totally cried. I actually didn't know that C.F. could act. He was most impressive and still so fucking pretty.

Thought for a second they had played again - was about to kick myself. Saw them play in a near deserted Olympia doing 69 Loves Songs stuff (and a few classics and Sixths songs) - fucking brilliant gig.

I've never seem them, but I will if they announce gig here tomorrow.

The Magnetic Fields might be a good subject band for the covers challenge thread...

I've never seem them, but I will if they announce gig here tomorrow.

The Magnetic Fields might be a good subject band for the covers challenge thread...

Indeed. A few years back in Boston there was a Magnetic Fields cover night in the Somerville Theatre. Lots of local Boston bands got up and did a cover or two. Very entertaining.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back