Learn guitaring offa the Youtube-Its a GOLDMINE! (2 Viewers)

• Thread starter GO
  • Start date
  • Replies 77
  • Views 9K
  • Watchers 3
A few weeks work and you'd have a decent grasp.I used to know em all but forgot them during my wild 30's.
My hands still remember them but my brain dosent really have a clue.I just go on instinct now.

There's a thing. Do you always play the same solo? Apart from one song I wrote I tend to make it up as I go every time.

I dont even play the chords in songs the same way twice.This is a bad habit I think....

My approach to solos is I'll either A.I'll not give it a moments thought until I'm starting it ..or B.I'll go over over what modes and scales will fit beforehand.
B results in better solos,but dosent happen much because I lack the discipline to bother figuring things out.
A results in regurgitated variations of things my hands know..with a sprinkling of total magic from outta god knows where if I'm lucky.

There's a thing. Do you always play the same solo? Apart from one song I wrote I tend to make it up as I go every time.

Ideally I'd play the same solo every time once it's finished. I think that's down to lack of chops. I'm one of those guys that really isn't that talented but just works hard enough to get by on good timing and a decent ear.

When I think of it most of the 'great' solos are written a certain way, the guy will always play it the same way, more or less

I take the ''just do a bit of widdling , minor scale if it's sad'' approach

Yeah..the great ones are all written and played the same.

Except for when John Coltrane is jamming on his Flying V

Theres a spontaneity though I think in improvising that can raise the energy if it comes good on the night..I'd say its a 50/50 gamble.Big payoff if you're on form..bit like hard work if you're not.

Yeah. Personally I think it's best not to over think it, play in key it and improvise away

I like this

"It's not the note you play that's the wrong note - it's the note you play afterwards that makes it right or wrong". - Miles Davis

and I also like this

"There are no such things as wrong notes, there’s only the look on your face." Anonymous

Yes indeed YouTube can be an excellent source for all those lessons. Wish it were 'round when I was a lad.

The advantage of some basic knowledge of scales is, once you know what the key is, it gives you the ability to improvise a fairly acceptable solo on the spot without that thing of searching for notes, which sounds a bit crap.

scales are keys, there isn't anything else to learn once you learn one scale and a sequence of 12* letters.

loads of things happen with students though. some kids relate to shapes, some to frets, some to notes by name so i don't think there is anything essential about any method of how you do your thing. I'm 100% sure i had a highly dyslexic girl once, she had such an aversion to paper that i just taught her everything by shape and she was as good as anyone. Even within the various ways of doing it everyone has their own variations of instilling things in memory, be it pure physicality or pure theory. In the kind thing i get up to there is no avoiding the need for a common language and the guys all already talk one dialect so it works for me to speak to them in it.

I'd imagine I'd get a grasp of them if I sat down with someone and had them explain it all and let me ask far too many questions but I'm content enough to cobble my way through things at this stage.

I had no idea that scales were keys.

what the fuck> I tried to respond to a comment on youtube and it's insisting I change my name to my real name. Fuck that

what the fuck> I tried to respond to a comment on youtube and it's insisting I change my name to my real name. Fuck that

WTF? I never heard of that..thats bollix..that'll take the craic out of it

There is an option to keep using your nickname, which I saw after I posted this..but it looks like they're trying to phase it out, probably to make it easier to track your web activity

There is an option to keep using your nickname, which I saw after I posted this..but it looks like they're trying to phase it out, probably to make it easier to track your web activity

Obviously trying to weed out the nutcases...but the comments are part of what its all about.

They'd do better to have some kind of literacy test..that'd put the kibosh on a fair few head the balls

Great one I read today on a Traffic(or somebody cant emember) tune..."My girlfriends old stepdad was their original bass player"

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back