joe strummer!! (1 Viewer)

hmm.. unusually inarticulate writing from mac there, more school shootings in the states, whats going wrong with the World?

A couple of pink gins will do that to a man.

I downloaded that file this morning and had a look through it, there really isn't much to get excited about. I've never really been a fan of that original half-finished version of Combat Rock, and to be honest Mick Jones' mix sucks. Sounds to me like someone has tried their best to clean up the tracks with a couple of cheap audio plug-ins, and that just makes it all sound even weaker.

There are some other collections of studio out-takes and alternate versions out there which are a lot more interesting - Elvis Has Left The Building, for example, which is mainly Sandinista! era stuff or DOA which collects some pre-first album demos and a couple of GEER era oddities.

Hell W10 is entirely new to me though. Sounds like Strummer reused most of it as Trash City.

As for being a Clash bootleg kind of person - I go through phases of being hideously obsessive for a few months and then not caring for a year or so and then getting all obsessive again. Thankfully I've never been obsessive enough to listen to the entire LP they wrote, played and recorded for Ellen Foley.

A couple of pink gins will do that to a man.

I downloaded that file this morning and had a look through it, there really isn't much to get excited about. I've never really been a fan of that original half-finished version of Combat Rock, and to be honest Mick Jones' mix sucks. Sounds to me like someone has tried their best to clean up the tracks with a couple of cheap audio plug-ins, and that just makes it all sound even weaker.

There are some other collections of studio out-takes and alternate versions out there which are a lot more interesting - Elvis Has Left The Building, for example, which is mainly Sandinista! era stuff or DOA which collects some pre-first album demos and a couple of GEER era oddities.

Hell W10 is entirely new to me though. Sounds like Strummer reused most of it as Trash City.

As for being a Clash bootleg kind of person - I go through phases of being hideously obsessive for a few months and then not caring for a year or so and then getting all obsessive again. Thankfully I've never been obsessive enough to listen to the entire LP they wrote, played and recorded for Ellen Foley.

where did ye get tht verson of combat rock from??

an does any one know were i could download Sandinista! ?
without using tht soulseek bollocks!! ;)

where did ye get tht verson of combat rock from??

an does any one know were i could download Sandinista! ?
without using tht soulseek bollocks!! ;)

You could buy it for about a fiver.

oh and go here for clash bootlegs. The amount they have is scary, I just couldn't be bothered wading through 99 percent of it when I don't even have all the mescalaroes/Big Audio Dynamite stuff.

You could buy it for about a fiver.

oh and go here for clash bootlegs. The amount they have is scary, I just couldn't be bothered wading through 99 percent of it when I don't even have all the mescalaroes/Big Audio Dynamite stuff.

if your intrested i could post u some mescaleros stuff!!

nah, sure I have two albums and I'll get the other eventually, thanks though

I just d/l something I didn't know exsisted
"Give 'em enough rope demo"
Never heard most of this stuff b4....fucking excellent.
All the young Punks is an absolute gem, Mick sings it far diff and faster/rawer......quality is decent, some tracks better then otehrs.

Complete track list

1. 01 All the young punks.mp3 (4:44)
2. 02 All the young punks-acoustic.mp3 (1:35)
3. 03 Drug stabbing time.mp3 (3:57)
4. 04 Last gang in town.mp3 (5:49)
5. 05 Julies in the drug squad.mp3 (3:18)
6. 06 Safe European home.mp3 (3:24)
7. 07 Stay free-1.mp3 (3:33)
8. 08 Stay free-2.mp3 (2:03)
9. 09 Groovy times.mp3 (3:50)
10. Good Times Roll (1:33)
11. No Reason (1:36)
12. 12 One emotion.mp3 (4:11)
13. 13 Ooh baby ooh.mp3 (3:20)

I just d/l something I didn't know exsisted
"Give 'em enough rope demo"

Complete track list

1. 01 All the young punks.mp3 (4:44)
2. 02 All the young punks-acoustic.mp3 (1:35)
3. 03 Drug stabbing time.mp3 (3:57)
4. 04 Last gang in town.mp3 (5:49)
5. 05 Julies in the drug squad.mp3 (3:18)
6. 06 Safe European home.mp3 (3:24)
7. 07 Stay free-1.mp3 (3:33)
8. 08 Stay free-2.mp3 (2:03)
9. 09 Groovy times.mp3 (3:50)
10. Good Times Roll (1:33)
11. No Reason (1:36)
12. 12 One emotion.mp3 (4:11)
13. 13 Ooh baby ooh.mp3 (3:20)

Looks like the GEER tracks off the old DOA bootleg with a couple of snippets from Rude Boy and a b-side thrown in. Ooh baby ooh is the early version of Gates Of The West, isn't it?

Yes, last track, so only got round to listening to it, the lyrics are diff, but the music is def gates of the west, obviously they threw out these lyrics and rewrote the whole song!!!

I had thought I knew of every Clash demo/bootleg but somehow this escaped the radar

The version of All the young Punks is mindblowing.

GEER is?
old DOA bootleg??

This is def a rip from vinyl too, hate fucking vinyl.

GEER = Give 'Em Enough Rope.
DOA = a bootleg called 'DOA' ... http://www.sharoma.com/clash/items/doa.htm - definitely worth tracking down for theor take on Israelites off Tiswas, even if it does fade out after a minute and a half. To be filed next to their cover of Blitzkrieg Bop which they segue into out of Police And Thiefs on one boot.

Aye, after digging out the MP3 version of the DOA boot that I have, that take of All The Young Punks with Mick Jones singing is kind of interesting. Somewhat erratic vocal performance, but as you say nice and rough and fast.

I'm far too young for it all of course but went through a big clash phase when I was 16/17 or so. I love all their stuff, great music played by people who believed in what they were doing, for better or for worse.
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=BAAXSIV0
yeah i had that but with nirvana.
some people like the clash, some don't. can't we argue about something more interesting now? like the ethics of youtube videos, or whether soya milk curdles in coffee, for example.

yeah i had that but with nirvana.
some people like the clash, some don't. can't we argue about something more interesting now? like the ethics of youtube videos, or whether soya milk curdles in coffee, for example.

we were arguing? I thought this thread had become a clash bootleg lovefest

the film is on in the ifi on the 18th ,with julien temple giving a talk before hand!!! 8 yo yos!!....

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland
Landless: 'Lúireach' Album Launch (Glitterbeat Records)
The Unitarian Church, Stephen's Green
Dublin Unitarian Church, 112 St Stephen's Green, Dublin, D02 YP23, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back