JAMES YORKSTON & Adrian Crowley kick off Irish tour at CrawDaddy tmrw Thurs 22nd (1 Viewer)

Deaglan

Website
www.goodluckski.com
James Yorkston returned with his 4th studio album,'When the Haar Rolls In' (Domino), in September proving once again why he is one of the most essential songwriters of our time.
support comes from the marvellous Adrian Crowley

"The indifferent world scarcely deserves a fourth consecutive stunner from the hush-voiced Fife troubadour and longtime Fence Collective member; but then the last thing Yorkston's careworn fireside intimacies deserve is indifference. What better time to call it quits?
Amid sleepy fiddles and brooding harmoniums, these bleary love-drunk dispatches – especially the startling spectre-rattle of Midnight Feast and the swelling autumn mist of The Capture of the Horse – rank among the most breathtaking by anyone this year." – LONDON TIMES 5 STARS

POD Concerts presents

JAMES YORKSTON
Support: Adrian Crowley

Thursday January 22nd

CrawDaddy – Harcourt St – Dublin 2.
Doors – 8pm

Tickets €14 available from Ticketmaster, Road Records, City Discs, Sound Cellar and usual outlets. www.ticketmaster.ie

www.jamesyorkston.co.uk
www.myspace.com/jamesyorkston
www.adriancrowley.com
www.myspace.com/adriancrowley

Other Irish show dates

January 23rd - Belfast Speakeasy
January 24th - Galway Roisin Dubh
January 25th - Cork Cypress Avenue

"For me, listening to James Yorkston's music is like coming across the interesting-looking person on the fringes of a party. Before you know it, you've spent the evening listening to their compelling tale. In this record, I get a real sense that he has found his true voice. There's a quiet confidence in his craft; his singing, the words and instrumentation, all blend seamlessly to produce a really affecting record." - Philip Selway, Radiohead

With the understated power of a gentle giant, James Yorkston returns with his 4th studio album. When the Haar Rolls In is out on the 5th of September and proves once again why he is one of the most essential songwriters of our time.

Returning with his trusty Athletes, along with some legendary English folk names - Norma Waterson, Mike Waterson, Marry Gilhooly, Olly Knight, there is much to mine for Yorkston fans of old and new, all the ambition, beauty and pathos of his previous albums is sweeping through with the soothing, lush arrangements of all sorts: the timpani, clarinets, violins, vibraphone, concertinas, bull bass, prepared pianos, mandolins, bouzoukis, banjos and wine glasses.

"What is' Haar?" you may ask. It's the sea fog that rolls in off the North Sea. Mist. It's pretty common up in the East Neuk of Fife and plays havoc with drying the washing, apparently. There are more celebrations of human frailty and tales of waking up drunk in unfamiliar surroundings, throwing rocks at magpies, dogs chasing ghosts, stubborn sea winds, regrets and joys and smiles and peace and quiet and love and hate and more love. Better than that though, it's a beautiful, honest album.

I don't know how James Yorkston has eluded me for so long. This was an incredible show and from looking there now, theres a long back catalogue to get through, which I greatly look forward to doing.

Can anyone answer me this though - have he and Adrian Crowley ever recorded anything together? They did a couple of unrehearsed and unplanned duets last night, and their voices complemented each other like none other that I'd ever heard before. They should really get together to record something if they haven't already.

Adrian Crowley's stuff was great. I went more to see him and its great to know he has another new album on the way. The man's voice and music melts my heart (in a good way). Truly awesome stuff.

Great show alight... many of the tunes were even more 'down' last night than on record...
He's a class act. James' banter is always excellent... Deadly guitar playing too.

Pity about those damn tables though... Pod should cop themselves on... Surprised there
was no 11pm curfew. It this new policy or was it cos it was a Pod gig??

Great show alight... many of the tunes were even more 'down' last night than on record...
He's a class act. James' banter is always excellent... Deadly guitar playing too.

Pity about those damn tables though... Pod should cop themselves on... Surprised there
was no 11pm curfew. It this new policy or was it cos it was a Pod gig??

damn. didn't go cuz of the curfew. what time did it end?

I don't know how James Yorkston has eluded me for so long. This was an incredible show and from looking there now, theres a long back catalogue to get through, which I greatly look forward to doing.

Can anyone answer me this though - have he and Adrian Crowley ever recorded anything together? They did a couple of unrehearsed and unplanned duets last night, and their voices complemented each other like none other that I'd ever heard before. They should really get together to record something if they haven't already.

Adrian Crowley's stuff was great. I went more to see him and its great to know he has another new album on the way. The man's voice and music melts my heart (in a good way). Truly awesome stuff.

He sang one of the songs on the limited edition box-set of When the Haar Rolls in. The box set included a disc of cover versions of Yorkston songs, and is supposed to be very lovely altogether.

http://cgi.ebay.com/James-Yorkston-...itemZ140288456476QQcategoryZ307QQcmdZViewItem

I think my favourite James Yorkston album is The Year of the Leopard, with I Awoke and Woozy With Cider..

http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=W-VdRqAoKRI

saw them in galway tonight. beautiful gig!
st.patrick is one of the most beautiful songs ive ever ever heard and tonight he did a magnificent version of it!

saw them in galway tonight. beautiful gig!
st.patrick is one of the most beautiful songs ive ever ever heard and tonight he did a magnificent version of it!

Fuck it anyway. I completely forgot about this. Adrian Crowley is probably my favourite Irish songwriter. His songs really cast a spell. Particularily live.

Fuck it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland
Landless: 'Lúireach' Album Launch (Glitterbeat Records)
The Unitarian Church, Stephen's Green
Dublin Unitarian Church, 112 St Stephen's Green, Dublin, D02 YP23, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back