/ WELL IS SHE??!!???

So now you've met the Pink Punk
The rinky-dink Punk
And it's as plain as your nose
That she's the one and only
Truly original Punka Pink from head to toe
Yes she's the one and only truly original
Punka Pinka from head to toe

It's not fake as I wanted to actually discuss the topic? And thought this place was most relevant..

It seems liike every 6 months or so , some randomer having a mid life crisis starts an "I used to be a punk back in the day, what's happened to punk since I quit" thread on Eirecore, and it's boring as fuck, which is probably why Gambra locked it.

If you're so concerned with wether or not it's dead that your idea of investigating it is posting on message boards, it's baffling that you haven't used the internet to try and find out about current bands. And it's even more baffling that you posted that shit on a board without realising by virtue of the fact that you were posting on a board dedicated to irish punk/hc, you'd kind of answered your own question.

"Pop punk is the new fad" eh? I can't decide what's worse the fact that you're stuck in the 80s, or you actually believe it's 1994 at the moment.

I'm with Gambra.

Hey..
My friends and I have been greatly influenced by punk music and the people behind the music for a long time now but, when I talk about it, we always get the feeling that we're living in the past- that the idea that we can control politics so strongly through music is long dead and that "real" punk and it's meaning died alongside Joe Strummer. The idea of what punk "is" varies from person to person but I consider it the idea of true freedom of expression through music- as Cobain once said, "musical freedom".

It's been a long time since the greats of punk such as the Sex Pistols, Stiff Little Fingers, The Clash and bands such as Black Flag, Minor Threat (even though, yes, I know they were straight edge) reigned supreme in the music world. It's been a long time since the ideals that came with punk were so passionately promoted- the idea of freedom for all, the idea of "the system", the idea of being controlled and breaking free from conformity, even the idea of anarchy. As all this ends, I was wondering, are there people out there who truly believe any of these things anymore? Are there bands out there who still play real punk music? Is there a scene in Ireland at all and do people still believe the political messages that were talked about in the music?

Or is true punk dead?

If you mean that punk is dead because the commercial stuff is no longer in the 'pop' charts or covered by the mass media in general, (as it briefly was at the end of the 70's and start of the 80's), then, yeap - it's dead as a duck, and good riddance to that sad episode in it's history.

On the other hand, if you're talking about the thriving sub-culture that it is today, with loads of bands, and gigs going on, it won't take long to realise that it's probably more alive than ever.

On the question of it being relevant, and what it has to say? - it probably has never been more relevant - have a look at any news this evening.

For a good starting point....have a look in the Eirecore forum for bands and gigs.

"DEAR Thumped: I am 8 years old.
"Some of my little friends say Punk is dead.
"Papa says, 'If you see it in Thumped it's so.'
"Please tell me the truth; is Punk still there?

Gambra

Gambra, your little friends are wrong. They have been affected by the skepticism of a skeptical age. They do not believe except [what] they see. They think that nothing can be which is not comprehensible by their little minds. All minds, Gambra, whether they be men's or children's, are little. In this great universe of ours man is a mere insect, an ant, in his intellect, as compared with the boundless world about him, as measured by the intelligence capable of grasping the whole of truth and knowledge.

Yes, Gambra, Punk still exists. It exists as certainly as love and generosity and devotion exist, and you know that they abound and give to your life its highest beauty and joy. Alas! how dreary would be the world if there were no Punk. It would be as dreary as if there were no Gambras. There would be no childlike faith then, no poetry, no romance to make tolerable this existence. We should have no enjoyment, except in sense and sight. The eternal light with which childhood fills the world would be extinguished.

No Punk? You might as well not believe in fairies! You might get your papa to hire men to watch The Lower Deck on Saturdays to catch punks, but even if they did not see punks coming in, what would that prove? Nobody really sees punks, but that is no sign that there are no punks. The most real things in the world are those that neither children nor men can see. Did you ever see fairies dancing on the lawn? Of course not, but that's no proof that they are not there. Nobody can conceive or imagine all the wonders there are unseen and unseeable in the world.

You may tear apart the baby's rattle and see what makes the noise inside, but there is a veil covering the unseen world which not the strongest man, nor even the united strength of all the strongest men that ever lived, could tear apart. Only faith, fancy, poetry, love, romance, can push aside that curtain and view and picture the supernal beauty and glory beyond. Is it all real? Ah, Gambra, in all this world there is nothing else real and abiding.

No Punk? Thank God! it lives, and it lives forever. A thousand years from now, Gambra, nay, ten times ten thousand years from now, it will continue to make glad the heart of childhood.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Darsombra (Kosmische Drone Prog)(US)
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back