Irelands in the Eurovision..... (1 Viewer)

It's not Eurovision fodder though. It's what some Irish heads idea of Eurovision fodder is – what they're completely missing is the production/mixing values in the recording. That's what needs to be fixed there.
The real main pure Eurovision thing they're missing is the hook; the closest thing to a hook here is probably the major key change in the 'chorus', but it's not memorable/catchy enough to be Eurovision fodder.
The song is alright, but I wouldn't expect it to perform well in its current state at all; maybe it will get through the semi-final, that in itself would be an improvement by Irish standards.

Terrible song. They're not much of a singer.
On the contrary - as far as I can hear they have a very good voice, at least on Spotify. There are some better songs in the rest of their oeuvre, I think, but there's something about how it all sounds that I don't really like

As for Panti - does nobody else think that liking something because people you don't like don't like it is a bit fucking childish for someone in their 50s?

On the contrary - as far as I can hear they have a very good voice, at least on Spotify. There are some better songs in the rest of their oeuvre, I think, but there's something about how it all sounds that I don't really like

As for Panti - does nobody else think that liking something because people you don't like don't like it is a bit fucking childish for someone in their 50s?
I reckon Panti receives personal abuse on a scale absolutely unimaginable to the likes of you and me, so I don't begrudge him a little churlish disdain every now and then

I reckon Panti receives personal abuse on a scale absolutely unimaginable to the likes of you and me, so I don't begrudge him a little churlish disdain every now and then

also I'd say the venn diagram of the sets of people Panti annoys, and people outraged by bambi thug probably has a fairly significant overlap...

I was only going off the video from a couple of pages ago, perhaps the RTE mix/youtube audio degradation didn't do them any favours.

That's his/her skill; being down with the kids on every possible issue
You don't get to be cultural capo/queen by leaving room on your left flank

The song sucks.
I'm more interested in why it sucks. Like what is the artist going for beyond shock value?
What do the kids see about Eurovision that they know better than us about how to get there?
Maybe there are fewer places to get to be a rebel these days. I dunno.
We have marriage equality, abortion, the church is dead, the Taoiseach loves Kylie.

We've kinda boxed the youth in, in fairness.

I'm more interested in why it sucks. Like what is the artist going for beyond shock value?
What do the kids see about Eurovision that they know better than us about how to get there?
They're operating on the theory that the best song from last year (which didn't actually win but came second, but did win the public vote) was pretty mental and incorporated goth industrial electronic crossover stuff, as well as featuring a human centipede on stage, so hey that must be what the European crowd wants right now lets do that, EDGY.
Unfortunately, they seem to have missed the bit where Kaarija had two class hooks in the song both based around the same thing, and also had great song production as well as class lighting, visuals, and funny choreography. Do you think Ireland are going to employ anyone to match that this year?

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

They're operating on the theory that the best song from last year (which didn't actually win but came second, but did win the public vote) was pretty mental and incorporated goth industrial electronic crossover stuff, as well as featuring a human centipede on stage, so hey that must be what the European crowd wants right now lets do that, EDGY.
Unfortunately, they seem to have missed the bit where Kaarija had two class hooks in the song both based around the same thing, and also had great song production as well as class lighting, visuals, and funny choreography. Do you think Ireland are going to employ anyone to match that this year?

Top top answer

In hindsight the jedward song wasn't the worst. Give them another go...
The autotune machine working overtime on this one.

Last edited:
In hindsight the jedward song wasn't the worst. Give them another go...
The autotune machine working overtime on this one.

their lack of talent never ceases to astound me

I've now listened to it due to the ENDLESS peer pressure from thumped.

TLDR: Person grows up watching frozen, is now rebelling against frozen / disneyness within the framing of musical theatrics of frozen / disneyness. the melodies have that clumsiness that's all over musical theatre where narratives have to be crammed into bars regardless of results. People who love narratives are all over this shit these days.

I can see how the younguns are gonna dig this craic. I liked one segment of it that was more melodic. The eurovision largely isn't for me in general - they might do pretty well if they can get a staging team in for the MASSIVE stages that they'll have to work with in the tv show.

It sounds like they had a lot of sub in the mix and the post limiter/compressor was single band and panicked with all the sound energy hitting it. I cranked my headphones a bit and it came across much better.

I found the link to this in Metal Hammer no less

Sounds a lot better now, and works well with the video

But everyone should boycott the Eurovison this year anyway so...

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back