I'm Going Back to College! (1 Viewer)

What ya doing? I'm also interested in the courses people choose to study.

Went back at 31 to do spatial Planning 4 yrs undergrad Spatial Planning in DIT Bolton st and MSc in Public Policy 1 yr masters in UCD straight after. Got the scratcher and my rent allowance and the grant for the undergrad-worked out more than the minimum wage:).

Would advise a vocational course for anyone with committments as a mature student that leads towards a profession or at least a sniff of a job at the end of it. Anyone I know who did classical studies, philosophy etc struggled with it as there was no clear goal for themselves in it...

I enjoyed college as a mature but it really lacked the sitting around, chin stroking and putting the world to rights over coffee I assumed was a big part of the deal. It was mostly culchie kids (the vast majority of them decent skins and good company to be fair) who were just continuing their rote learning from the leaving cert and dreaming of fucking off to Australia when they were done, hoping they could hustle a cushy public sector gig near home when they were done travelling the world.

Woah congratulations! that is some achievement. thinking about something similar myself.. where you doing it? Out of curiosity what kinda work experience did you have clincial reserach etc? thanks. Just been reading the clinpsy forum which is totally freaking me out seems so very competitive..
Hiya Sarah...

My mate Colm is doing clinical psychology in Scotland. He has the Masters etc. and wants to set up his own practice. However he was telling me there is hardly anything in Ireland with regards to clinical pyschology. He strongly doubts he'll ever be able to have a career in Ireland.

Jaysis, serious cringe at remembering making this thread. I fucking hate UCD and all the despicable cunts who populate my classes. It's been two long years of money woes, boring lectures, torturous tutorials, no friends and under-achieving due to lack of interest. If I'd stayed working and just downloaded the notes off the internet and did the exams I'd probably have done better, to be honest.

Other than that it's been fab.

Jaysis, serious cringe at remembering making this thread. I fucking hate UCD and all the despicable cunts who populate my classes. It's been two long years of money woes, boring lectures, torturous tutorials, no friends and under-achieving due to lack of interest. If I'd stayed working and just downloaded the notes off the internet and did the exams I'd probably have done better, to be honest.

Other than that it's been fab.

I too am back at college, although not at UCD. I still can't decide if what I decided was smart or not. I was switching to a totally different field, so I thought I'd do a second B.A. first rather than applying straight to a Master's programme. So I have a fair amount of what you're talking about (and liberal doses of hatred of everyone, but sure what's new there). On the other hand, I feel like I will actually have a pretty good background in this stuff after the B.A., rather than doing graduate work and forever feeling like I'm catching up on what I should have already read.

Mine is okish. I'm going to switch to Modern and Contemporary Literature, Culture and Thought, though because I actually despise Philosophy. All we do is analytical stuff and it bores me to tears. Aside from that its going well, I have to get on board with my term papers and get started on them, but I'm being lame and procrastinating.

Mine is okish. I'm going to switch to Modern and Contemporary Literature, Culture and Thought, though because I actually despise Philosophy. All we do is analytical stuff and it bores me to tears. Aside from that its going well, I have to get on board with my term papers and get started on them, but I'm being lame and procrastinating.

I'm studying philosophy too (and also procrastinating from writing this morning). I, ehm, really like the more analytical-style stuff though. Not that I think it's more valuable or anything like that, but I find I can write a bit more lucidly about it, at least. The seminar paper I have to write at the moment is about the philosophy of emotions, which is awfully slippery stuff, or so I think, to get a hold of, analytically or otherwise.

Second of Music in Trinity - It's great, there's a couple of modules I'm not fussed on but I can drop them next year. I don't really do anything with the class, they're just young ones that reckon a great night out is heading to some dopey club, then back to someone's house to play Beatles songs on the guitar until 6 a.m. Mostly sound people, but I'll give that a miss thanks.

I'm planning to go back next September to Ballyfermot and I'm dreading the class being filled with 17 and 18 year olds straight out of the Leaving Cert..

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Landless: 'Lúireach' Album Launch (Glitterbeat Records)
The Unitarian Church, Stephen's Green
Dublin Unitarian Church, 112 St Stephen's Green, Dublin, D02 YP23, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back