holy flip! new bonnie "prince" billy (1 Viewer)

the departed

thats the new live one.
when did this appear?
i see that he has the rocked-up version of "master & everyone" on it..
this makes me VERY happy.was the highlight of his vicar st show.
now all he needs to do is play here again...

I saw this in the shop today, but I haven't seen any reviews yet. As soon as someone confirms it's nothing like "Greatest Palace Music", I'll buy it...

quasiquasi said:
I saw this in the shop today, but I haven't seen any reviews yet. As soon as someone confirms it's nothing like "Greatest Palace Music", I'll buy it...
no no its a lot of "master and everyone" all rockified and played full band is what it is i think..
which is deadly//
no one seemed to like greatest palace music..

quasiquasi said:

it's worse!!!!!

turned it off in work the other day coz it was so terrible. A reminder at how heartbreakingly awful that vicar st show was.

Where's that thread gone about bands that were once great, but are now crap? The last few Will Oldham releases have been dire. Superwolf had some great stuff though so I'm holding out hope that he'll get back on form.

chutneyfarmer said:
it's worse!!!!!

turned it off in work the other day coz it was so terrible. A reminder at how heartbreakingly awful that vicar st show was.

Where's that thread gone about bands that were once great, but are now crap? The last few Will Oldham releases have been dire. Superwolf had some great stuff though so I'm holding out hope that he'll get back on form.
well his next one is the covers album with tortoise, which might be dodgy..
but here, i thought Vicar st was great..
but its my understanding that your first will oldham show is always the best..??
which releases do you think were crap btw, exluding GPM?

g-stereotypical said:
but its my understanding that your first will oldham show is always the best..??

Not the first time I saw him, twas himself and Pajo doing the score for Nosferatu. Twas ok, nothing outstanding or anything.

g-stereotypical said:
well his next one is the covers album with tortoise, which might be dodgy
I think 'The Brave and the Bold' looks like it'll be great;
01. Daniel (Elton John)
02. The Calvary Cross (Richard Thompson)
03. That's Pep! (Devo)
04. It's Expected I'm Gone (the Minutemen)
05. Cravo e Canela (Milton Nascimento)
06. Some Say (I Got Devil) (Melanie)
07. Pancho (Don Williams)
08. Love Is Love (Lungfish)
09. On My Own (Quix*o*tic)
10. Thunder Road (Bruce Springsteen)

goodtimes if the cover of 'That's Pep' is anything to go by;

http://homepage.mac.com/nikondriver/.Public/20JazzFunkGreats/Bonny_Prince_Billy&Tortoise-That's_Pep(Devo).mp3

quasiquasi said:
WHATS WRONG WIT GREATEST PALACE MUSIC??... Y'ALL MUSTN'T HAVE A SPIT OF COUNTRY IN YA. THAT'S A BIG WEAKNESS IN THE ARENA OF HAPPINESS. BEFORE YOU KNOW IT YOU'LL BE REDUCED TO PALYIN' DANK LITTLE CAFES OF SOCIALLY CHALLENGED ANTI-POPULAR NUT FLICKERS. BETCHA DON'T LLIKE VH NEITHER. NO LOYALTY.... BELIEVE AND ENJOY!!!
ALLAHQUANDO!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It appears he has a collaboration record with tortoise out now.

Is "Greatest Palace HIts" the same as "Palace Music" "lost blues" or whatever its called?

tim said:
It appears he has a collaboration record with tortoise out now.

Is "Greatest Palace HIts" the same as "Palace Music" "lost blues" or whatever its called?

tortoise collaboration is out next year.
greatest palace music came out two years ago, i think. bonnie billy and cohorts covering old palace tunes in a nashville stylee.

the dirty weed said:
greatest palace music came out two years ago, i think. bonnie billy and cohorts covering old palace tunes in a nashville stylee.

Imagine Billy Ray Oldham...

the dirty weed said:

The problem with BPB sings Palace Greatest Hits is, that if you really love the originals - especiallly the Days in the Wake stuff... well it's just unlistenable to. It just sounds like a bizarre ironic K-Tel in joke. Lost Blues is the real deal and there's no argument.

the dirty weed said:
CAN YOU 'COVER' A SONG YOU WROTE???? SURELY YOU JUST PLAY IT... I HAVE A COPY OF THAT OLDHAM-BORETOISE ALBUM... HAHAHAHAHAHA!!! TIS COOL!! ALSO GOT THE 'FAKE' ALBUM GRANDADDY GAVE TO V2 INSTEAD OF SUMDAY.. TOO WIND 'EM UP...HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAA!!! ARM OF ROGER, ARM OF ROGER,ARM OF ROGER!!!!! TIS EVEN COOLER
ALLAHQUANDO!!!

Beak said:
I think 'The Brave and the Bold' looks like it'll be great;
01. Daniel (Elton John)
02. The Calvary Cross (Richard Thompson)
03. That's Pep! (Devo)
04. It's Expected I'm Gone (the Minutemen)
05. Cravo e Canela (Milton Nascimento)
06. Some Say (I Got Devil) (Melanie)
07. Pancho (Don Williams)
08. Love Is Love (Lungfish)
09. On My Own (Quix*o*tic)
10. Thunder Road (Bruce Springsteen)

goodtimes if the cover of 'That's Pep' is anything to go by;

http://homepage.mac.com/nikondriver/.Public/20JazzFunkGreats/Bonny_Prince_Billy&Tortoise-That's_Pep(Devo).mp3
that devo one is quality. looking forward to this.

aye the devo one is mad. i like it.
i think the greatest palace music threw some people as it was billed as a "bonnie" prince album..
he shudda devised another moniker like palace "willy" music or bonnie "bum" oldham or something..
but i like it. good ole fashion cuntry yeah!
that guy reeks of prolific. but he's bound to throw out some ropiness here and there. and when he does, HE DOES.

have to say, I really like Greatest Palace Music

version of Gulf Shores is really lovely on it

and the ragtime I was a cinematographer is great

was cool to see him pull of a straight faced Nashville record with all the deadliness, and schmaltz, that brings with it. Made an interesting case for the ethos that if the song is strong enough it don't matter what you do it'll sound like a good song

Pantone247 said:
have to say, I really like Greatest Palace Music

version of Gulf Shores is really lovely on it

and the ragtime I was a cinematographer is great

was cool to see him pull of a straight faced Nashville record with all the deadliness, and schmaltz, that brings with it. Made an interesting case for the ethos that if the song is strong enough it don't matter what you do it'll sound like a good song
im with pantone on this one!
that tortoise collab was reviewed in the ticket yesterday..
2 stars..

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland
Landless: 'Lúireach' Album Launch (Glitterbeat Records)
The Unitarian Church, Stephen's Green
Dublin Unitarian Church, 112 St Stephen's Green, Dublin, D02 YP23, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back