Help me Fantasise (1 Viewer)

avernus said:
SWFGGDV_R.jpg

this is what you want.
laverly. i'd make esoteric references to star wars minutae only i've never seen any of the movies.

i would not pay that much for a gibson SG special. 'special' means no frills - i've heard they actually only assemble them in the states, shipping the parts in from china.

for about the same yoyos you'd get a gordon smith SG - again, no frills, but probably the most playable and best made guitar you'll find this side of 1970.

teles are cool too tho. highway 1 models are good mid-priced guitars.

Muscle Beach said:
i would not pay that much for a gibson SG special. 'special' means no frills - i've heard they actually only assemble them in the states, shipping the parts in from china.

for about the same yoyos you'd get a gordon smith SG - again, no frills, but probably the most playable and best made guitar you'll find this side of 1970.

hmmm. more imagery for fantasising upon. cant say i'm overly impressed with the look of the gordon smith sg but you're saying better build quality and better playability. have you played either / both?

avernus said:
Good Lord!!!
yeah. i've a treat in store for me with the box sets eh? my ex boss said he'd kill for my innocence. i do eventually plan to get round to it. maybe when my first born son comes along. i believe yer man from indiana jones is in one of them? :)

Donkey OJ said:
yeah. i've a treat in store for me with the box sets eh? my ex boss said he'd kill for my innocence. i do eventually plan to get round to it. maybe when my first born son comes along. i believe yer man from indiana jones is in one of them? :)

bruce willis is really dead all along!

Donkey OJ said:
hmmm. more imagery for fantasising upon. cant say i'm overly impressed with the look of the gordon smith sg but you're saying better build quality and better playability. have you played either / both?
[nerd] yeah. i was gonna buy an SG special over the summer til i read up a bit more about them. thing about the big manufacturers is there are countless different versions of the same model and it's hard to tell the difference between an SG special from the 70s and one made this week in aesthetics, but apparently there is a huge difference. i think if it's an aesthetic thing you want you should go with the SG classic... maybe that's just me but i like the binding and trapezoid fret markers :)

i didn't get the gibson cos a friend offered to sell me a Gordon Smith SG for slightly less. it's an all black SG1 with an EMG active humbucker. it doesn't get any simpler really... handmade mahogany neck, rosewood board, incredibly precise and consistent frets, brass nut (lovely sustain), one coat laquer, one pick-up, two dials. the active pick-up has a huge response, but the guitar isn't that versatile. it does both types really - rock or hard rock.

i play it through an old selmer 100 and it breaks it up beautifully. if you're into the whole ian mackaye guitar-cord-amp thing it's great.

the reason i went for it is cos i used to drum in a band called los cabras. one of the guitarists played a GS Gypsy 2 like this
Gypsy_2_wine.jpg

which was seriously amazing and much more versatile than my guitar.
but then the other guitarist (who is also in the killing spree with me) plays a tele through a fender bassman which is pretty vicious too. depends if you want to hammer people (SG!) or cut them (tele). or something. [/nerd]

B, that guitar in the picture is beautiful! i really want one of them. i really wanna play your SG sometime. beats my ibanez anyday for sure.

i would go for the SG just cause Ian MacKaye plays one

Muscle Beach said:
[nerd] yeah. i was gonna buy an SG special over the summer til i read up a bit more about them. thing about the big manufacturers is there are countless different versions of the same model and it's hard to tell the difference between an SG special from the 70s and one made this week in aesthetics, but apparently there is a huge difference. i think if it's an aesthetic thing you want you should go with the SG classic... maybe that's just me but i like the binding and trapezoid fret markers :)

i didn't get the gibson cos a friend offered to sell me a Gordon Smith SG for slightly less. it's an all black SG1 with an EMG active humbucker. it doesn't get any simpler really... handmade mahogany neck, rosewood board, incredibly precise and consistent frets, brass nut (lovely sustain), one coat laquer, one pick-up, two dials. the active pick-up has a huge response, but the guitar isn't that versatile. it does both types really - rock or hard rock.

i play it through an old selmer 100 and it breaks it up beautifully. if you're into the whole ian mackaye guitar-cord-amp thing it's great.

the reason i went for it is cos i used to drum in a band called los cabras. one of the guitarists played a GS Gypsy 2 like this.......
which was seriously amazing and much more versatile than my guitar.
but then the other guitarist (who is also in the killing spree with me) plays a tele through a fender bassman which is pretty vicious too. depends if you want to hammer people (SG!) or cut them (tele). or something. [/nerd]

these are wise words. see the thing is i'm no frank zappa virtuoso. i put on gigs regularly in my living room using fugazi cds as backing tracks. so it really is practice amp / bedroom scenario at the moment. but i've loved that sg since i first set my eyes on it. but then again i do want to get the best all round bang for my buck and ideally something that i can attack intruders with aswell. i'm off to figure out about gordon smith.

Muscle Beach said:

"In SG series Special means "especially cheap", and you can see it mainly in the details: "Gibson" logo is not pearl inlay but gold paint; pickups are opened (no covers); fretboard inlays are simple dots. Thanks to the designers, materials, hardware and pickups are the same as on Standard model, which means the price is being cut on finishes, not on woods.

from here

and he knows.

One of the reasons Gordon smith make such good relatively cheap guitars is that they don't do any of the fancy shit. They save money on not advertising etc as well. I'm pretty sure you can somewhat custom order a guitar from them but obviously you will join a waiting list. Although Gibsons can sometimes look nicer,you pay for it. And th GS guitars look pretty nice anyway. I currently have 3,an Sg,A slimline Les Paul,and A Les Paul Junior. All of them are incredible. Occasionaly I have thought about getting something like a Gibson but it would need to be a custom and I just dont think the "extras" on a custom are worth it.

Having said that your ears are the ultimate test and go for what sounds good to YOU.

I had a Gordon Smith SG on order but had to cancel it to pay for something else. (sniff) I'd have it by now too. (sniff). (sniff) They are fantasic guitars (sniff).. i really wanted one too (wwwaaaaaaaahhhhhh waaaahhhhhhhh) (bursts out crying)

gibson_sgspecialfaded_wb_egitarre_pimx_168315.jpg

The OJ's Guitar

And so it is
Just like I said it would be
I am buying an SG
Most of the time
And so it is
At last eventually
To be like Foo-Gaaa-a-Zi
And Ian Mackaye

I can't take my eyes off of you
I can't take my eyes off you
I have a picture of you
On my fridge
So I Do
I can't take my eyes off you
I can't take my eyes...

And so it is
Just like you said it should be
Its coming from Germany
Most of the time
And so it is
I went and bought her
The OJ's Guitar
The guy in serious debt

I wont take my fingers off you
I wont take my fingers off of you
I wont take my fingers off you
I wont take my fingers off of you
I wont take my fingers

Did I say that I love you?
Did I say that I want to
Eventually be able to play you behind my back? (sang really quickly)

I can't take my mind off of you
I can't take my mind off you
I can't take my mind off you
My mind...my mind...
'Til a guitar shaped package comes thru
My Letterbox.

i'd go for the SG - don't they tend to be more versatile that the tele's, sound-wise? like it's easier to approximate the tele on the sg than vice-versa... i could be completely wrong.

sound schmound. its all about bedroom mirror effect. nah i've loved SGs and a load of bands who play them forever. i'm very excited.

Too late now but I recently picked up a Gordon Smith guitar. Sound wise it is the best of both worlds. It can jangle like a Tele and Rock like an SG.
Fucking beautiful it is too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Darsombra (Kosmische Drone Prog)(US)
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland
Landless: 'Lúireach' Album Launch (Glitterbeat Records)
The Unitarian Church, Stephen's Green
Dublin Unitarian Church, 112 St Stephen's Green, Dublin, D02 YP23, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back