Guitar repair (1 Viewer)

falsemonkey

Website
www.20bullseach.com
Sorry if this has been posted up before, I am looking for somewhere in the city centre (dublin) who will do a decent job repairing / servicing guitars.

Tried to do it before, but I am just not capable of fixing them myself.

Any suggestions.

a pal of mine recently got his guitar totally overhauled for a reasonable sum by Guitar Fix on exchequer street. if you have a way to get there i'd highly reccomend jimis music store in walkinstown. the cheapest and best around IMO.

Myself or Mel there can probably sort most stuff for you at very reasonable prices...

Erm well it's a Epiphone SG. and one of the tone knobs isn't fixed properly, it's gaffer taped down otherwise it just keeps turning and would twist the wires inside. Also it's been played a lot so could probably do with a general service.

Derrick Nelson. He's expensive as fuck but he does an amazing job. He's very talented, and blows away the competition. My guitars come back from him playing WAY better than when I bought them new.

He's been here every time I've been up around the workshop the last few months, (disclosure here my sister is in the same building) but I've had a good look at his work and been very impressed. Personally my stuff usually goes to Fitz Howard in Letterkenny. He's easily one of the best Luthiers in the country imo.

Apparently the necks on every single one of my guitars is warped and some of them have several frets that play the same note, wait that sounds weird. I mean, lets say fret 12 13 and 14 all play the same note on the third string I've been told this is because the frets themselves are ...eh...fucked ? Is this enigmatic Tate lad the lad to be seeing about this ?

Warped necks are generally unfixable or not worth trying to fix, how badly warped are they?

Fairly warped, more twisted than warped really.

The top string gets more out of tune as you go up the fret board, This I assume is from leaving them in odd tunings in the practice room

damn you AAF#AAD you've cost me a fucking fortune.

Ah well a little dissonance adds charm I say.

For major structural work, Derek Nelson is the man. Though Milan Panic had his G&L neck done by someone else and it looked great)

For everything else (setups, electrical) there are plenty of people around. The moose fella did some electrical work on my bass a while back after it had been giving my jip for ages and it's perfect now. Jimis music store is great value for servicings.

Obviously for electrical work people should come to me. :)

I think as far as high quality structural work people have good experiences with Derek Nelson, Frank Tate and the dude from archtop.ie I'd probably get a rough qoute from all three and then decide, certainly from what I've seen from all three you'll be getting workmanship of the highest standard.

It might be worth giving the frets a quick polish and/or dressing to at least make them play better if you can't get the neck sorted.

I think as far as high quality structural work people have good experiences with Derek Nelson, Frank Tate and the dude from archtop.ie I'd probably get a rough qoute from all three and then decide, certainly from what I've seen from all three you'll be getting workmanship of the highest standard.

This is good advice.

I will try once more to get a hold of Tate, I have a Les Paul I need set up. I know he was touring a lot this year in Australia and Florida?

I will say this about Derrick Nelson, he set up one of my guitars and it played much better than when I bought it new. He's obsesses over the smallest details and uses precesion measurements, he "eyeballs" nothing. That said all this attention will cost you plenty.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back