• Thread starter Dan
  • Start date
  • Replies 69
  • Views 5K
  • Watchers 2

Dan

Website
www.denizensofilk.com
There was something about first place you played a gig mentioned in another thread. Though it deserved one of its own. I'll start:

An acoustic set with a friend as part of a college talent competition in The Skeffington in Eyre Square, Galway in February 1996

First proper band gig in the Green Rooster in Roscommon in dec 1996.

The memories...

my first gig was in 1988 i think. at a friends party. i'd had a guitar for about 2 weeks and just played slide using the tremelo arm as the slide. i think we just played lou reed songs, about the only thing i really remember is having an *intense* headache throughout it i was so nervous.

the gratten on capel st. 14th september 1992. covered 'ace of spades', 'jump in the fire' and 'seek and destroy', the rest were our own. our drummer was 13 and he was amazing.

in or around 1993, this half-assed band I was in gatecrashed a wedding reception in Meath somewhere and the band there was good enough to let us play a few tunes. We did a cover of faith no more's epic. Our singer was stuffing his face with free sambos the whole way through it. Imagine, him hollering 'you want it all...' with tuna and egg all over his face. Rock n Roll!!!!.|..|

My first gig was supporting Large Mound in Fraziers, Jan 2000. The other lads had previously played in other bands.

We arrived at the venue to find Punk legends 'Peter and the Testtube Babies' on stage and a crowd of Mohican Punks moshing away. Since we were going to be playing a late night gig (i.e. after PATTTB), we just waited till their set was over so we could set up. Well Peter never did an encore and alot of pissed off punks were wondering who the fuck were these guys setting up after these 'Legends'.

So anyway before we went on stage, Joe was chatting to Peter. This is basically what was said:

Peter: What's your band called
Joe: the connectfour orchestra
Peter: What type of music do you play?
Joe: We play Instrumental music.
Peter: What's that?
Joe: Well we don't have any singing.
Peter (confused): So what does your singer do?

We then go on stage play out of tune while some punks lie down in protest on the stage and other scream abuse all because we went on after PATTTB. Fun & scary and to be honest I wouldn't want my first gig any other way.

In my friend's garage. In front of about 20 people. We made a drum riser and everything. Borrowed a big Marshall amp, but had no idea what to do with it. I remember wondering where to put it so we decided in front of the drums in the middle would be about right. I still have it on tape somewhere. The year, well, lets just say we attempted Master Of Puppets.

First "real" gig. On the back of a trailer in market Square, Navan. Biggest memory of that is headbanding and seeing my Maths teacher (prick) drive by.

Believe it or not In Phibbers about march 2001, Playing Bass for Lazybug, all original stuff but we played support to a band that looked like they should be playing death metal, all dressed in black and leather and what not, but went on to play U2 covers all night......I wanted death metal...they weren't very good.

My first gig was at a friends sisters birthday in a massive Hotel Bar in Kildare. I was so fuckin nervous I had Pigeons in my stomach, never mind the oul' butterflies. A horrible feeling. So I did a shot of Jaigermeisster before I got up on stage, then I just roar into Bob Dylan's 'Subterraenean Homesick Blues' to the look of astonishment on everyones faces, only when an oul' fella in the corner shouted 'I love this Fuckin Song' did everyone else join in with the dancin. From then on it was a blast. Great Feeling! But what a stupid song to pick as a cover. It's so hard to remember all of the fuckin words, then sing at 100mph. Worth it though if you can pull it off. I climbed off stage to a really nice applause then walk straight to the jacks and vomit. Rock n' Roll.|..|

Originally posted by Anthony

First "real" gig. On the back of a trailer in market Square, Navan. Biggest memory of that is headbanding and seeing my Maths teacher (prick) drive by.

you didn't go to school in Navan by any chance Anthony?

the rock garden in 1993, playing songs of great indie-schmindie fey jangliness (we had a violin. and a drum machine. lordy.) and a cover of "strychnine" by the sonics.

No. Spud was princial then the Maths teacher priest prick took over - jaysus I can't even remember his name. Maybe it was podge. Prick anyway, suspended my for having long hair!

with the jimmy cake, thinker_org and stress in the temple. must be about 2 years ago? i was still in college.

it was great fun. hectors eyes met mine through the white noise gloom. later he shimmyed up to me and said, hey, give us yer lead, mines busted.

here, get a room boys. we's talking about the gigs.

i did mine in a church in 1989 and i was real, real drunk so i don't actually remember any of it. except being drunk. god, that was hillarious.

here you go hervert. we'll have to have a brew to celebrate you losing your cherry.

ah muise, back in the days of the punt, eh?

faith, the old songs were the besht

My first gig was Tourmakeady, Co Mayo, circa 1991. I had one of those Hohner "Arbor Series" guitars and a Vox AC-30 that was 10 years old at the time and which I still have and use.

Originally posted by Anthony
No. Spud was princial then the Maths teacher priest prick took over - jaysus I can't even remember his name. Maybe it was podge. Prick anyway, suspended my for having long hair!

yeah i heard he was a cunt allright, the guy who came in after him was a bit of a tit aswell, a bit more lenient on the long hair though

a load of us got together a band for the leaving cert mass in the pat's gym. the chaplain took great exception to us doing 'let it be' for some reason:confused:

My First gig:

1982 XMas party at primary school:

Me mum was very proud and dressed me up very smart with shirt, tie and Brillcream (Gel's ancestor) in the hair.

The set included "Silent Night" and, trying too hard to be *indie*, that Xmas song of The Beatles (or maybe just Lennon ...?) you know the one that went like "and so this is Xmas...."

Everything was performed with my fantastic Bontempi keyboard (which is first responsible of the following 20 years of music addiction). I doubt anybody here knows what a Bontempi is, so I attach a picture: of course this is the cyber punk 2002 version with microphone, seat and everything... mine bought in 1981 wasn't that cool but had a "training mode" which allowed you to learn to play songs by following small red leds at the top of each key......... classic!

My first "proper" gig:

1989 A big Circus-like tent in my town fair with my first band "Machine Head" (nobody of us knew they existed, honest!). We performed three original songs, one of them (Mr. John Doe) was great: it was about this man (John Doe) who had some memory problems and it went like "Mr John Doe says: I can't forget your name - Mr John Doe says: but I don't remember mine"

Played keyboards there, converted to bass in 1991.

By the way, in Italy at the time it was a MUST to sing and write songs in English. Nobody of us could speak it though, thus they NEVER made sense!!! We used to put together words and sentences stolen by some other UK/USA bands..... but nobody could understand (not even us) so we didn't care :D

Oh sweet memories............

ah, here's the Bontempi:

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Landless: 'Lúireach' Album Launch (Glitterbeat Records)
The Unitarian Church, Stephen's Green
Dublin Unitarian Church, 112 St Stephen's Green, Dublin, D02 YP23, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back