Electric Picnic 2013 (1 Viewer)

I don't get the hatred towards Ocean Colour Scene. They have a couple of good tunes. So they're are a bit of a charisma free zone..but...there are much worse bands out there

I don't get the hatred towards Ocean Colour Scene. They have a couple of good tunes. So they're are a bit of a charisma free zone..but...there are much worse bands out there

Yeah agreed, I would have thought this hatred towards them would have chilled a bit since 1998.

I wasn't there but from going through the online chatter on news sites/voxpops, it did seem a lot of people were just there for the commercial easy-to-digest acts (Arctic Monkeys, Ellie Goulding, Little Green Cars). When someone says they're going to EP just for one big named act, you know the audience demo has strayed into the 'dont give a shit, I'm just going to get wasted' type. EP does seem like it's turning into Oxegen Lite.

I saw a good few bands (usually alone or with someone I had corralled to accompany me) playing during the daytime in tents to crowds that were barely in double-digits. So that's not a new phenomenon.

I think that was my 7th EP and I've been the same in terms of the types of bands I'd choose to go and see, at every single one of them.

Maybe one thing is the amount of newish bands that aren't Irish. It felt like there were lots and lots of these, more maybe than in other years. So you don't get the 'mates' thing. For example, Maud in Cahoots played to a very decent sized crowd on sunday morning. I got the sense that a lot of people there knew someone in the band. Had they been from somewhere else, they'd possibly have been looking at a fairly empty tent too.

I can see some bands getting reasonably big in time. The likes of Merchandise, Summer Camp, Braids, Polica, etc, and it'll be the people sitting in the campsite getting tanked up for Arctic Monkeys who will be the ones who like them. That was something that occurred to me several times over the weekend.

I have a 16 year old cousin in London who likes music. I follow her on twitter and I can see her music taste changing on a weekly basis. To me she would be typical of a lot of people at EP this year and I'd expect her to start tweeting about some of the bands above soon enough.

Also, how come the Dublin Gospel Choir are all white folks?

When someone says they're going to EP just for one big named act, you know the audience demo has strayed into the 'dont give a shit, I'm just going to get wasted' type. EP does seem like it's turning into Oxegen Lite.

EP needs Oxegen back, for sure. It'll harm it commercially but will help it hugely from a 'festival' point of view, if that makes any sense.

For example, Maud in Cahoots played to a very decent sized crowd on sunday morning. I got the sense that a lot of people there knew someone in the band. Had they been from somewhere else, they'd possibly have been looking at a fairly empty tent too.

I know Maud and she's sound. Her/They're facebook page was bombarding everyone throughout the week and on the day to get people to go see them, so I'm not surprised there was a decent crowd.

Fascinating fact: Maud is married or engaged to Irish boxer and downright dandy Andy Lee.

I know Maud and she's sound. Her/They're facebook page was bombarding everyone throughout the week and on the day to get people to go see them, so I'm not surprised there was a decent crowd.

Fascinating fact: Maud is married or engaged to Irish boxer and downright dandy Andy Lee.

They seem sound alright. Saw them (her and the sister) several times around the festival watching bands. They seem like proper music fans.

Yeah, shame shes married!

And I'm not sure if its normal for overseas bands who are playing to hang out at the festival for the weekend. Saw lots and lots of that. Must have been a bit of a dash across for the Eels lads to get over for David Byrne seeing as there were only 15 minutes between sets.

Were there many head wreaths?

Bjork was wearing one I think. Massive big yolk.

image.jpg

I'm reliably informed by some friends that it was indeed a full on Parade of the Gobshites on an Oxegen level this year. I was only there briefly, and was barely conscious for most of that, but even i managed to fit in a mini-riot around the maze of washing machines.

I'm reliably informed that the usual Oxegen staples of running up to you, SCRREEAMMINNNG and running off and rocking the cubicles were happening.

Sorry i missed it all TBH.

saw many a head-wreath as well.

Was there yesterday, only my second time there and I have to say that I really enjoyed it. I have to admit that there was no one in particular that I wanted to see. The main stage at Body and Soul was great, especially Overhead, the Albatross and Tieranniesaur. I nearly could have just stayed there for the day. I also really enjoyed Casa Bacardi, I might be part knacker.
There was some good stuff on the main stage, Black Uhuru was good skit, Eels were great and I actually really enjoyed Franz Ferdinand. The crowd definitely got more gobshitey and knackery for Arctic Monkeys. A lot of people just came in for their set. We watched them for about 3 or 4 songs and then we remembered that they make terrible music for cunty people so we left and checked out what else was happening, it was actually a really nice atmosphere away from the main stage at that point.
Size of the crowds in the tents really varied during the day. There was really decent crowds for Warpaint and the Strypes but only about 10 people each watching Dawes and Night Beds.
I'd definitely go again next year.
Even if this festival gets too commercial at least there's still the likes of Castlepalooza

Jaysus, I've been previously and only seen one band, and that was delorentos.
Was there a couple of times and the highlights were

Flaming Lips
Super Furry Animals
Nick Cave and The Bad Seeds
MBV
Grinderman
Cornielius
Sonic Youth
Graham Coxon
Yo La Tengo
Mogwai
Yeah Yeah Yeahs
PJ Harvey
Gang Of Four
Massive Attack
Underworld
The Roots

And obviously mushrooms After they got rid of mushrooms I really just didn't care anymore.

*sniff*

I'll raise your "couple of good tunes" and say "a couple of good albums" [Marchin' Already / Moseley Shoals].

I'm absolutely baffled by the continuing hatred towards OCS although it does always seem to come from a certain type of hipster. Paul Weller garnered the same loathing after Stanley Road [primarily NME hatchet jobs] and a number of his critics freely admitted to not actively listening to the material they were supposed to despise.

OCS and Weller get the thumbs up from most mods / freakbeat dudes and r'n'b groovers. Which is just as it should be. I've a lot more in common with those guys than some bearded chinstroking indie snob.

the security took our mushrooms off us at the 2005 festival. We told them it was legal and they said to call the gardai if we wanted them back.
Ha, I figured that would happen so I smuggled mine in inside sandwiches. They actually tasted better having been wrapped in ham for a few hours. The sandwiches, on the other hand didn't fare quite so well.

I'll raise your "couple of good tunes" and say "a couple of good albums" [Marchin' Already / Moseley Shoals].

I'm absolutely baffled by the continuing hatred towards OCS although it does always seem to come from a certain type of hipster. Paul Weller garnered the same loathing after Stanley Road [primarily NME hatchet jobs] and a number of his critics freely admitted to not actively listening to the material they were supposed to despise.

OCS and Weller get the thumbs up from most mods / freakbeat dudes and r'n'b groovers. Which is just as it should be. I've a lot more in common with those guys than some bearded chinstroking indie snob.

Have never been all that mad about OCS, they're grand and all, some catchy tunes, but I really didn't see the point of Jim Carroll's article. There's so much other good stuff happening around the place so why spend an hour watching a band you actively despise, it's not like he even got a good article out of it. He basically wrote the journalistic equivalent of all the things he's accusing OCS of, it's like he photocopied a review from NME circa 1998.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland
Landless: 'Lúireach' Album Launch (Glitterbeat Records)
The Unitarian Church, Stephen's Green
Dublin Unitarian Church, 112 St Stephen's Green, Dublin, D02 YP23, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back