dolby plug-in etc??? (1 Viewer)

spectraljanitor

(Retired)
if one wants to apply dolby noise reduction to a recording that one accidentally didn't apply it to whilst recording it then how would one go about doing this in the digital world?

could one find a plug-in to do so?

help!!!

Morning man!

or

Morning, man!

anyhoo, brief googling doen't throw up any actual dolby noise reducer plugins but there's no shortage of noise reduction plugins that are probably better than the dolby type.

Wavelab has one for a start - well, mine does...not sure if you have that plugin. Open the master section and click in a box, under vst there should be a denoiser. The file you need denoised, just have it as the active window in wavelab and tweak the controls to get the most suitable reduction. You need a balance, the more dbs you take off the more digitised it'll sound, use the ambience control to add a couple of db of noise back in to make it smoother, not sure what offset does, mess with it: the plugin takes a few seconds to catch up with changes you make so give it a chance sham.

oh yeah, and press render - in the master section - when you've a good setting, 'render in place' if you're happy with it, 'create new file' if you'd rather not effect the original.

First off - what seems to be the problem exactly?
And second, just to be sure, you're not talking specifically about the dolby units, but rather reducing noise in a somewhat noisy recording, right?

GrRrrrR said:
First off - what seems to be the problem exactly?
And second, just to be sure, you're not talking specifically about the dolby units, but rather reducing noise in a somewhat noisy recording, right?

recorded some stuff on the 4 track. hadnt noticed that the dolby noise reduction switch was off!zed . during playback - mountains of hiss:eek: . will feed it into wavelab for editing.....just wondering if there was a specific plugin for noise reduction but as igor said there is. (thanks igor!:cool: )
noise, hiss - thats the problem! what chew suggest grrrrrrrrrrr?!bing

spectraljanitor said:
recorded some stuff on the 4 track. hadnt noticed that the dolby noise reduction switch was off!zed . during playback - mountains of hiss:eek: . will feed it into wavelab for editing.....just wondering if there was a specific plugin for noise reduction but as igor said there is. (thanks igor!:cool: )
noise, hiss - thats the problem! what chew suggest grrrrrrrrrrr?!bing

waves diamond bundle has a plugin called x-noise. i just used it yesterday infact on some gammy radio shows my neighbour had recorded onto a blank tape. he wanted them stuck on cdr and knew i'd have nothing better to being doing with my time. he didnt have the station tuned in properly and there was lots of hiss. i stuck this x-noise thing on, tried a couple of presets and voila! sounded better straight away. i didnt put much effort in but im sure you could get good results from this plugin.

Miss Piggy said:
waves diamond bundle has a plugin called x-noise. i just used it yesterday infact on some gammy radio shows my neighbour had recorded onto a blank tape. he wanted them stuck on cdr and knew i'd have nothing better to being doing with my time. he didnt have the station tuned in properly and there was lots of hiss. i stuck this x-noise thing on, tried a couple of presets and voila! sounded better straight away. i didnt put much effort in but im sure you could get good results from this plugin.

That's one cool plugin. The best way to use it is to find a section which isolates some of the Hiss/Hum you're trying to eliminate and you can capture a noise print of it. It then looks for the noise print in the material and you can determine how much it will remove. One handy/essential aspect of it is that it allows you to listen to what you're removing ensuring that you don't remove too much actual musical material.

This kind of technology has been around for a while. I think there was a program called DART around that employed the same techniques.

AFAIK there's no way of re-applying Dolby to a recording that was recorded without it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland
Landless: 'Lúireach' Album Launch (Glitterbeat Records)
The Unitarian Church, Stephen's Green
Dublin Unitarian Church, 112 St Stephen's Green, Dublin, D02 YP23, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back