big up for mr rice. #22 in US album charts (1 Viewer)

Popeye

just saw todays sales stats for UK and USA...fair play to him, up to #22 in the USA album charts, which is no mean feat.

I'm not a massive fan of Damien Rices music, but, I totally applaud what he has achieved in spite of the Irish music 'industry'.

Who cares?

The big news stateside is the actor who played Doogie Howser has come out.

nphfudgepackerxm1.jpg

Looks like those exploding bear traps the Irish music industry set for Damien's Rice didn't work.

That would be funny if it wasn't true.

Regardless of whether you like Rice's music or not...how many labels had the vision, nous and balls to jump at Rice?

NONE

The only thing the irish music 'industry' has the balls to invest in is an album by dustin, joe dolan or a patronising compilation by dave fanning.

Ironically...the irish 'industry' will hurt their hands patting each other on the back over Damiens achievement.

A pair of size 12s for me please.

What in christ are you talking about? Vision nous and balls? There's a million and one Damien Rices in this country, some label just threw a bunch of them at the wall and this one stuck. There's some nous there for you.

a million Paddy Caseys perhaps

Please tell me you're joking! One is bad enough.

RUN!!!!

Damien Dempsey, Paddy Casey and Declan O'Rourke. Quite similar a concept as dustin, joe dolan or a patronising compilation by dave fanning.

Ah, the Rice fellit isn't bad at all.

Has anyone seen the video for Crimes? That's Gas.

Eh ... I think DR put out his record himself. And I wouldn't say there are a million Damien Rices in the country - a million Paddy Caseys perhaps

Yeah I think he independently released his first album and then got a worldwide distribution deal. And he owns all publishing rights. €€€€€€€€€

What in christ are you talking about? Vision nous and balls? There's a million and one Damien Rices in this country, some label just threw a bunch of them at the wall and this one stuck. There's some nous there for you.

not quite RSJ, Damien rice was the only one who ignored the signals being sent out by usual suspects which is that "you don't have a hope unless a UK or USA major picks up on you".

Ultimately, Damien rice went against the grain of the irish music 'industry'.

He believed in his own talent.

He maybe one in a million and you maybe right, if you throw enough shit at a wall it might stick, but, when you've been around music for a while, you'll begin to understand that a key factor in his success was that he was the only one out of that million to believe in himself, put in the hard graft at home and go for it. Instead of scratching his arse in the hope of getting a slot on HWCH and praying someone, from outside Ireland, will spot him.

As I said earlier, I'm not a huge fan of his music, but I'm a huge fan of what he has achieved, because it dispells the myth that the irish market cannot "support" Irish acts and the bullshit that bands and artists have to go to the UK to develop or have any hope is exactly what it says on the tin = bullshit.

being honest about it. I think there are far better artists and bands in Ireland than damien rice. But they're all getting distracted by the messages being sent out, in particular, by the gobshoites putting on showcases and selling them on the basis that UK/USA a&r is going to be there.

Another Irish project worthy of mention, from a business perspective, is Rodriguez & Gabriella. Not everyones cup of tea, musically, including myself, but, they went from busking on grafton street to selling out the olympia and vicar street on the back of hard work, locally. Instead of faffing about flirting with UK/US A&R.

Size 14 for me I'm afraid RSJ...and a big shiny tracksuit to go.

ah if only i had a video camera when we played gigs with juniper when they were doing covers...

I saw Juniper once in the Music centre and I remember Rice as the lead singer rolling around the stage like a madman, screeching and whatnot. Then he discovered an acoustic guitar, patchouli oil and became a gazillionaire off the back off ::clef:: I can't take my eyes offa you, can't take my eyes offa you, I can't take take my eyes offa you ::clef:: repeat ad infinitum

I think one of the things I like most about Rice is that he believes in his talent. I admire that. Most people are too easily influenced by others. But that sort of self-belief is one of the most important things to have if you want to be successful (at anything).

There's rakes of talent in this country though. But a lot of it is flittered away because of a few bad pieces of criticism. Just 'cos someone tells you you're shite doesn't mean it's true. And it most definitely doesn't mean you're shite at everything.

He went for it and it paid off.

we brought him, geraghty and noonan with us to ZooTV in 1993. Ricer bought a load of chocolate and said i could have any one. it was my birthday though. theyre nice lads. nothing amazing, done well for himself. fairplay. give him a break

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Darsombra (Kosmische Drone Prog)(US)
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back