Best RTE moments ever? (1 Viewer)

das nugs said:
#

as i remember it, podge was introduced as zag's toy, a puppet. he came to life when nobody was watching. zig was on to him from the start.hi.

Yep, that's how I remember it too. The Den would come back after a commercial break, and it would just be Zig in the studio. Suddenly, Podge would slowly pop up behind him...

*shivers

*Dustin giving away the answers to competitions on the den - Ray Darcy: "The question is - what is Earth's only sattelite?" Dustin - "THE MOON, THE MOON"

*Ryan Tubridy producing a pistol and shooting randomly into the audience in 2004.

HMD said:
The Angelus(everynight) with all the people stopping what their doing to listen to the bells and think about all the bad they've done in the last 24 hours.

It'd be way better if you had realistic shit like;

A surgeon wielding a scalpel... BONG... he lets his hand drop...as a spray of arterial blood begins to shoot up from off camera we fade to...

An air traffic controller in his tower.... BONG ...in the background we see a plane coming in to land and crashing straight into a plane that's taxiing on the runway...fade to

Lollypop Lady...

fireman...

knife thrower...

etc etc etc

ICUH8N said:
Yep, that's how I remember it too. The Den would come back after a commercial break, and it would just be Zig in the studio. Suddenly, Podge would slowly pop up behind him...

*shivers

"podge and zag, podge and zag, podge and zag, the podge and zag show.
everybody loves him, especially zag!, podge and zag, the podge and zag show"

JohnnyRaz said:
I remember that! they were all wearing a different pastel shade each. It was terrible stuff. Steven gately's smile still gives me nightmares.
What about when therapy? played knives on the latelate?

This was a good moment. Poor gaybo...

I is John said:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Podge_and_rodge

"they had particular contempt for Echo Island, especially the version broadcast in Irish."

"A number of current Irish media presenters started their careers on Echo Island, including Ray D'Arcy, Mary Kennedy, Derek Mooney, Bláthnaid Ni Chofaigh and Dara Ó Briain."

i would have said that d'arcy started his career on jo maxi rather than echo island. remember that?

a certain thumpedee was "interviewed" on that as a kid.

edit:SCENT OF MAN!

Johnnyc said:
RTE's best moments are usually unplanned...
  • Eamon Dunphy chucking his pen in disgust during Italia 90.

also- the zig&zag take off of this. Eamonn Grumpy and Johnny Stiles. Amazing!

Eamonn grumpy just rolls a load of pencils across the table. bwillyantsch

Every live event ever shown on RTE has at least one moment of comic gold be it the 10 second too long pause before the V.T. rolls, the cut back to woefully unaware presenters etc etc.

Dunphy wearing Cameroon colours and coming in 'tired and emotional' one morning during the 2002 world cup were great too.

Pajo the punk rat presenting Pajo junk yard was quality.

There was also moment on the premiership when some studio hand just walked across a camera, stopped then ran back off screen.

All that said the End with Sean Moncrief (Sp ???) was the greatest thing they ever did and was my introduction to Twin Peaks and all thing Lynchian and for that i'll always be greatful.

evil bandit said:
All that said the End with Sean Moncrief (Sp ???) was the greatest thing they ever did and was my introduction to Twin Peaks and all thing Lynchian and for that i'll always be greatful.

Ballinasloe corner

Ahascragh corner

Later on "Don't feed the Gondolas" when they went to Ahascragh. Sean set up the scene by saying that they'd stumbled upon a funeral in the village. The VT rolls to show a load of drunk villagers, in funeral dress, cheering and laughing for the camera.

Then, when it all dies down and goes quiet, an aul lad in the corner, looking all confused, turns round and says "what's goin on?"

There were some really great Late Late Show moments:
Pop Will Eat Itself doing 'Ich bin ein Auslander' and wrapping each other up in gaffer tape while destroying all their instruments and mock-humping each other.
The KLF trying to defend their burning of a miilion quid for arts sake while annoyed grannies rang in complaining that they should have given the monet to the starving kids in africa.
Kate Bush doing Wuthering Heights in 1978 when it was No. 1
Sinead O' Connor singing a 10-minute song a'capella in her priest get-up while Gay squirmed in the background hoping she would stop. She ended the song with "Jah. Rastafari". Brilliant.
Also, Tommy Tiernan doing his Crucifixion gag.
The aforementioned Therapy? and Boyzone moments, particularly the bit where Gay asks who here can play a musical instrument to which one of the lads (later kicked out) puts his hand up and says, "Pianist"

bad cop said:
Gay asks who here can play a musical instrument to which one of the lads (later kicked out) puts his hand up and says, "Pianist"

That guy was friend of mine in school and was a God when he came in on the folllowing Monday morning. Not with any sane person, of course.

He tried his luck with MANY other boyband projects, poor guy. He REALLY wanted it. But didn't get it. I think he works on the counter in an AIB now.

nlgbbbblth said:
Being in my mate's house on a Saturday morning in 1981. His older brother ringing Anything Goes and getting through to Aongus McNally. And shouting 'you fucking wankers' at the top of his voice down the phone and it being broadcast all over the country.
Cue a mortified presenter and a quick cut to The Little Rascals.

i remember my mates older brother calling a kids show to speak with Matt Bianco and just screaming BIANCO YOU CUNT down the line. Gold.

Ray D'arcy on Jo-Maxi, doing a skateboard feature

Overdubbing shots of various skateboarders we hear Ray--
"ollie, railslide, flip....."
Cut to shot of Ray's face
"These are words you'll need to know if you wanna be a RAAAAAD skater"

billygannon said:
Anyone remember Miley dreaming of a sheep in Glenroe?

actually i think i do. or else you've just implanted the memory. :confused:

billygannon said:
Actually, anything with Marty Morrissey. Just anything he has ever done.
"open your mind..."

kuator.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Landless: 'Lúireach' Album Launch (Glitterbeat Records)
The Unitarian Church, Stephen's Green
Dublin Unitarian Church, 112 St Stephen's Green, Dublin, D02 YP23, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back