Any Roy Harper fans here? (1 Viewer)

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Roy_Harper_1024x512_1.jpg

This morning I bought a ticket to see him in Leeds next March but if he play's Debarras in Clonakilty I might not bother going to Leeds. "50 Years Of Monumental Classics Including McGoohan's Blues" is not such a catchy line. Listening to Folkjokeopus now, it's always been one of my least favorite Harper albums

Roy_Harper_1024x512_1.jpg

This morning I bought a ticket to see him in Leeds next March but if he play's Debarras in Clonakilty I might not bother going to Leeds.

He's playing Debarras on March 3rd, ticket and hotel booked :love:

I'll probably go to Leeds anyway since I have flights and a hotel booked although the timing interferes with my holiday plans ffs

You like the 80s don't you? If this doesn't do it nothing will
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Is that a very shook-looking BP Fallon at 4.25?

Re: 'Stormcock' by Roy Harper is such a special album! Could you share some impressions from the sessions, especially regarding the acoustic guitars from Roy and Jimmy Page and the orchestrations? - Doorknocker

John Leckie: Yes. Stormcock is a great record for listening to all through...its only four songs and all acoustic. I was just a lowly tape op button pusher on sessions which took a good few months in hot summer 1970 all in studio 3 Abbey Road. I wasn't on many sessions but went on to engineer and produce another 7 albums with Roy so he's a bit of a mate really. Most of the engineering was done by Phil McDonald who did Beatles and went on to Apple and did all John, George and Harry Nilson etc. I tape op'ed for Phil on George Harrison and John Lennon. He's the best and with Peter Bown at Abbey Road taught me how to be on sessions and get good sound. ( still searching...)

As far as guitars go I know Roy always cherished two John Bailey guitars he had custom made (UK luthier I think). He had a twelve string as well. What Jimmy played I don't know..wasn't there unfortunately. Check out other Roy Harper album 'Flashes From Archives of Oblivion" with rotten recording of Jimmy Page, Ronnie Lane, Max Middleton and Keith Moon on drums live at Rainbow, me in room at back with TG desk and 3M 8 track trying to get it down after Roy and full orchestra played. All orchestra on Me and My Woman on Stormcock is arranged by David Bedford and recorded by Pete Bown in 2. I remember we had The orchestra waiting in the canteen while me and Roy edited the eight track for recording as he hadn't decided on takes. Lots of multitrack edits on Roy's records. James Edgar did the artwork and was traveller mate of Roy's and often slept in a studio somewhere but would often produce great little watercolor pics he did of the proceedings. What else about Stormcock? Lot of dope smoked...yes it was Abbey Road but this was an 'underground session'. Pete Jenner was the producer and did many records with bands he managed at Abbey Road in 70s and seeing as I was the only guy at Abbey Road with long hair I got on the sessions!

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back