Albums / Bands you loved that you have grown to hate? (1 Viewer)

palace

looking through my record collection, 95% of the albums i no longer listen to are debut albums released by "next big thing" tips from such cutting edge webzines :rolleyes: as pitchforkmedia and on the record...

i have vowed to buy no debut albums this year (unless they have already released a 2nd or 3rd or 10th album) aside from highly independent underground acts that have had no media...

these are some of the albums i can't even bear to look at any more:

clap your hands say yeah
islands
the unicorns
the rosebuds
stars
volcano!
wolf parade
tilly and the wall

they are generally silly voiced fuckers from brooklyn or toronto or baltimore...

what about you?

looking through my record collection, 95% of the albums i no longer listen to are debut albums released by "next big thing" tips from such cutting edge webzines :rolleyes: as pitchforkmedia and on the record...

i have vowed to buy no debut albums this year (unless they have already released a 2nd or 3rd or 10th album) aside from highly independent underground acts that have had no media...

these are some of the albums i can't even bear to look at any more:

clap your hands say yeah
islands
the unicorns
the rosebuds
stars
volcano!
wolf parade
tilly and the wall

they are generally silly voiced fuckers from brooklyn or toronto or baltimore...

what about you?

Blasphemy!

But did you ever really love them?

A mate of mine has the daftest looking record collection I've ever seen. A few hundred hyped debut albums like the ones you mentioned and fuck all else. He always has to seem like he's ahead of the curve. Every week he's like "have you heard 'The Pains of Being Pure at Heart'?, Have you heard A Sunny Day in Glasgow?''. Three weeks later the cd is up on the shelf, where it will sit untouched for months or years.

I love the chap but I can't take him seriously when it comes to music...he hadn't heard of Tim Buckley til this NYE, despite being 36 years old.

clap your hands say yeah - agreed
islands - wrong
the unicorns - wrong. for shame. i fucking love this album still
the rosebuds - ??
stars - meh
volcano! - ??
wolf parade - it's so-so. i thought that at the time too
tilly and the wall - hahahaha!

The Drums.

Same here. I hadn't heard of them a few hours ago and then someone on this really hip web forum startin going on about them and I thought "that's interesting" and then someone sent me their song about surfing and I thought it was really cool, the perfect mix of surfer chic and Factory Records cool, but then I saw them on the front of the NME and I dunno, I lost a bit of interest. Have they done anything recently?

But did you ever really love them?

A mate of mine has the daftest looking record collection I've ever seen. A few hundred hyped debut albums like the ones you mentioned and fuck all else. He always has to seem like he's ahead of the curve. Every week he's like "have you heard 'The Pains of Being Pure at Heart'?, Have you heard A Sunny Day in Glasgow?''. Three weeks later the cd is up on the shelf, where it will sit untouched for months or years.

I love the chap but I can't take him seriously when it comes to music...he hadn't heard of Tim Buckley til this NYE, despite being 36 years old.

this is correct... it is the result of a couple of years of trying to be ahead of the curve... i THOUGHT i loved them at the time...

since that point, i have seen the error of my ways after noticing it is a seemingly permanent affliction to those jim carroll blogging community type personages...

Hate is too strong a word, it's more a kind of indifference, but I'd say loads of generic, slow, post-rock sounding stuff like this...

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland
Landless: 'Lúireach' Album Launch (Glitterbeat Records)
The Unitarian Church, Stephen's Green
Dublin Unitarian Church, 112 St Stephen's Green, Dublin, D02 YP23, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back