about saddams hanging...and youtube type sites (1 Viewer)

Popeye

Anyone else notice how the media/newspapers have been full of articles deliberatating and debating the merits of printing pictures of Saddams hanging?

While at the same time, very good quality mobile phone footage has been all over the web like a rash.

The media procrastination carried on, as if people haven't seen it already and it was still an irresistable scoop. Some even filled whole pages or tv segments spouting about having a moral duty to print/show more graphic pictures...without any pictures accompanying the piece!

Even though it's way too late now, the stories will probably shift to talking about the mobile phone video footage online.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

It wasn't just saddam who was hanged....the media was too.

Even 24 news tv channels, who pride themselves on getting the first camera to the scene, were scooped by the internet.

All the procrastination and deliberation about what to print/show or not to print/show was futile. The Internet is now within reach of the majority of the planet and as a species we are, premominantly, rubberneckers by nature IMHO, so it was inevitable that people wanted to see it.

The question is, what do editors do now in future to remain an essential part of the news network?

The answer is, of course, they're screwed.

They're playing with different rules and different boundaries. They're essentially handcuffed and ill-equipped to compete with the immediacy of the web.

Do they switch to become less news orientated and more analysis/opinion/column orientated?

perhaps. But there's baggage there as well because a top independent blogger might be trusted more than a top newspaper columnist - who's bread and butter relies on ad revenue.

How could a columnist possibly say something negative about a corporation when the same corporation has a full page ad on the next page?

On the flip side, it leaves us, joe Public, wide open to carefully orchestrated propoganda.

A good example might be that footage online of Saddam. The quality of the mobile footage "leaked" may have been a very deliberate and calculated move. Anyone who has a mobile phone will know that whoever took that video must have had a very good quality handset. My phone is considered very high spec and the quality and length of video I can take isn't even close to that "leaked" footage.

Which suggests that it wasn't an invited guest/journalist chancing his/her arm by slipping out their mobile....while at the same time standing in such a prominent position in the execution chamber. In fact the angle of the video suggests they had one of the best viewpoints in the room. The guards must have been watching the invited 'audience' very carefully for sabateurs or assassins. Someone pointing their hand at saddam with a small dark object in their hand would surely not have gone un-noticed.

While the value of ensuring as many people as possible truly believe that Saddam is dead, might justify the deliberate leakage of the mobile footage online, it's not rocketscience to deduce that the same tactic might be used for less justifiable or altruistic objectives.

Most of us are well able to disseminate bullshit from real news and spot Sandi Thom hype from a mile off, but I fear there is a lot that believes everything they read or see (online or offline) which might lead governments to try and curb the internet.

So as we hit another year...I wonder if youtube will survive the legal bashing it will get from record labels & TV execs in 2007...and the possibility of government intervention.

My money is on youtube folding in 2007, smothered by corporate litigation.

daytoday_1.jpg

THIS IS THE NEWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWS

A good example might be that footage online of Saddam. The quality of the mobile footage "leaked" may have been a very deliberate and calculated move. Anyone who has a mobile phone will know that whoever took that video must have had a very good quality handset. My phone is considered very high spec and the quality and length of video I can take isn't even close to that "leaked" footage.

Which suggests that it wasn't an invited guest/journalist chancing his/her arm by slipping out their mobile....while at the same time standing in such a prominent position in the execution chamber. In fact the angle of the video suggests they had one of the best viewpoints in the room. The guards must have been watching the invited 'audience' very carefully for sabateurs or assassins. Someone pointing their hand at saddam with a small dark object in their hand would surely not have gone un-noticed.

While the value of ensuring as many people as possible truly believe that Saddam is dead, might justify the deliberate leakage of the mobile footage online, it's not rocketscience to deduce that the same tactic might be used for less justifiable or altruistic objectives.

Saddam was hanged on the festival of Eid, which is a traditional time for forgiveness, and so a very odd time to hang anyone - it would be akin to hanging someone on Christmas day. Or rather, he was hanged on the Sunni festival of Eid. Shias celebrate Eid a day later. Considered from that point of view, the date of the hanging has every indication of a newly resurgent Shia majority asserting itself by thumbing its nose at Sunni traditions.

Saddam was hanged by the Ministry of the Interior, which has become dominated by the Shia militias, in particular the Mahdi Army and the Badr Brigades.

Saudi Arabia, a Sunni state, condemned the fact that the execution took place on Eid - reading between the lines, the condemnation was an obvious reference to the fact that Shias were deliberately going out of their way to be insulting to Sunnis by carrying out the execution on this date.

We can see in the footage that the people in the execution chamber were shouting at Saddam. The BBC reports that they were taunting him by shouting the name of Moqtada al-Sadr (the loopy Shia cleric). Again, this makes perfect sense if considered as Shias taunting a Sunni.

It's pretty obvious that whoever took the mobile phone footage had permission (either explicit or tacit) to do so. If we stick just to the facts of the execution (rather than extrapolating an entire theory of media from it), it seems a lot more straightforward to consider this as a Shia hanging of a Sunni figurehead, in line with the general Shia-Sunni strife that is one of the main causes of the ongoing Iraqi Civil War.

However, that's all sort of by-the-by. I don't know if Saddam's execution will bring down YouTube. That's what you said, right?

It's pretty obvious that whoever took the mobile phone footage had permission (either explicit or tacit) to do so. If we stick just to the facts of the execution (rather than extrapolating an entire theory of media from it), it seems a lot more straightforward to consider this as a Shia hanging of a Sunni figurehead, in line with the general Shia-Sunni strife that is one of the main causes of the ongoing Iraqi Civil War.

Thanks for the heads up about that. Interesting stuff.

However, that's all sort of by-the-by. I don't know if Saddam's execution will bring down YouTube. That's what you said, right?

Sort of.

The only reason the tv networks are showing (part of) the footage, is because they know, now, everyone will be able to see it online. They (the TV networks) probably had the footage long before it went online and made the decision not to show it, even edited, for whatever moral high horse fits the bill.

So, as a news source, they are 'behind' the immediacy of the web....it's actually old, bordering on 'stale' news.

In fact, the big news story at the moment of typing is that "the footage has hit the internet"...which is sorta ironic and one can't help but wonder if it's a case of the tail wagging the dog..i.e. it's too big a story to miss, so why not ensure it's on the web before breaking it on the 6 O' clock news?

The print media are totally screwed, because by the time they hit the presses, the internet buzz will have already moved on to satirical jokes about the event or something else completely.

As an aside, I think it's slightly ironic the moral highground some media agencies are taking over the saddam footage....if CNN/SKY/youtube had of being around when the 'west' carved up the middle east in the first place, the words 'dignity', 'humanity' and 'morals' would sound a tad more wafer-thin and hypocritical than they do already....

Anyway..I'm not saying that the saddam footage will bring down youtube....it's just a great example of how the web is undermining news TV/print.

There's too much money involved with those corporations to let it slide and I can see the TV networks, especially, hitting youtube type sites with litigation (even the Premier league company in England is threatening legal action because videos of premiership goals are being uploaded without permission), with the same vigour the music industry attacked napster in the 90s.

If you consider the sheer volume of litigation Murdochs Newscorp empire could bring down on youtube (and sites like it), alongside CNN and the other usual suspects....it is pretty serious.

When that doesn't work, it's pretty much a no brainer for the heads of those corporations to start inviting Blair and others to their caribean hideaways on holidays, dropping in the notion of throttling the internet over dinner.

In other words, shutting down napster didn't stop music piracy and shutting down youtube won't stop open media online. That would be about as effective as using a coat hanger in a rain storm to stay dry. But, using the saddam footage as an example of why censorship should be implemented would carry a lot of weight with the nanny-state thinkers & TV/news corporation execs.

The only reason the tv networks are showing (part of) the footage, is because they know, now, everyone will be able to see it online. They (the TV networks) probably had the footage long before it went online and made the decision not to show it, even edited, for whatever moral high horse fits the bill.

In fairness the news papers were mad for the blocky pixielated shots of his corpse, credit where it's due... generally these pics were used along side articles wringing their hands about how brutal the hanging was

In fact, the big news story at the moment of typing is that "the footage has hit the internet"...which is sorta ironic and one can't help but wonder if it's a case of the tail wagging the dog..i.e. it's too big a story to miss, so why not ensure it's on the web before breaking it on the 6 O' clock news?

I don't see the Irony here, could you elaborate? Is it that the news now reports on whats been "blogged" rather then what the story *actually* is?

Also do people really trust blogs as a reliable news source? For one thing they're anonymous, any loon could be feeding you a line via there things...

The print media are totally screwed, because by the time they hit the presses, the internet buzz will have already moved on to satirical jokes about the event or something else completely.

The future of the print media is the Herald AM and Metro and shite like that, pissy little free sheets full of negative news stories (always negative) about nothing at all really which just fuel that suspicison amongst commuters that, "yes life is shit so you should spend all your money on the all the crap we're advertising to make yourself feel better"

I hate the Herald AM and Metro, they mark the end of decent journalism, just you wait and see

ABOUT AN HOUR AFTER HE WAS DONE IN MY DAD WAS OFFERIN' SADDAM T-SHIRTS... A BIT TIGHT ROUND THE NECK BUT THEY HANG WELL. HOW QUICKLY DID YOUZE HEAR THAT ONE?

I REMEMBER HEARING THE N.A.S.A. 'NEED ANOTHER SEVEN ASTRONAUTS' ONE THE DAY AFTER THE CHALLENGER DISASTER.

DIDN'T MUSSELINI AND THAT ROMAINIAC DUDE COZ THE SAME TYPE OF HOOP-LA. THE PAPERS HAVE BEEN DEAD FOR AGES MAN...

HANGAQUAANNNDO!!!

INCIDENTLY...THAT TRIGGER GUY WHO'S NOW IN THE VICAR OF DIBLEY LOOKS THE SPIT OF SADDAM WHEN HE'S GOT A BEARD.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Landless: 'Lúireach' Album Launch (Glitterbeat Records)
The Unitarian Church, Stephen's Green
Dublin Unitarian Church, 112 St Stephen's Green, Dublin, D02 YP23, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back