A Hard Old Station: Christmas With The Popical Island Showband (1 Viewer)

snakybus

Website
www.breakingtunes.com
A Hard Old Station: Christmas with the Popical Island Showband” is out today at popicalisland.bandcamp.com.

This release features the rousing singalong chorus of “The High Line”, the galloping alco-indie-pop Christmas tale “Blotto” and seasonal tracks by members of the Popical Island Collective.

Popical Island press in 2010:
“An adorable cottage industry” NME
“Flipping marvelous” Phil Udell, State Magazine
“A treasure chest of indie-pop and folk songs” Leagues O’Toole, Irish Times

As with all the best ideas for Christmas records, this one sparked in mid June. At the launch of this year’s Popical Island #1 compilation, a Phil Spector-esque Wall of Sound was dreamed up. By mid-November, the Popical Island Showband had convened in a cold North Dublin basement to record two tracks in a day of no musical overdubs, significant hand clapping, sleigh bells and exceptionally good value Chinese food. At least five golden guitarists plucked their way through the tunes, more than fourteen calling Islanders provided backing vocals, three non-French brass players stirred with the strings in another room while two little drummer boys kept it tight in the hallway. One producer kept everyone in check shirts.

News of Santa’s retirement is brought to us with “The High Line”, written by Pádraig Cooney of Land Lovers, who takes us on a late night shopping trip leading to Parnell St. Groom’s Mike Stevens penned “Blotto”: a kitchen table, a drink or two, tangled up in Christmas lights with the rumble of conversation from the neighbours next door.

As well as the two Popical Island Showband tracks, there are four more festive offerings included in the download. The Walpurgis Family take you on a walk in crisp snowy pop with “Better Next Year”. Jonny Fun and the… Hesitations have a slightly forlorn tale of Christmases lost with “I’ll Miss You Christmas Eve (That’s What I’m Going to Do)”. “Christmas Song” by Tieranniesaur featuring the Sleigh Belles invites everyone back for a seasonal brew. Meanwhile, Yeh Deadlies leave the listener in no doubt that “Life Doesn’t Get Any Better Than This, it’s Christmas” as they reminisce about beating country cousins at Monopoly.

Download link: http://popicalisland.bandcamp.com from 13TH DECEMBER. Which is TODAY.

[All proceeds from the download will be shared between two charities: Camphill Communities of Ireland (working with people with intellectual disabilities) www.camphill.ie; and www.canteen.ie, a charity that supports young people with cancer]

Making-of popumentary:
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Yes, I suppose so. I'm very particular about these things though. Maybe youz weren't waving enough guns around the studio?

I'd say you've written some deadly songs that sound great if that's any consolation.

As I recall it, the Spectoriness was hatched more in a nerdy recording technique way than a songwriting or soundalike way. It was great fun but I hear ya on that front, John.

For charity, peeps!

This thread isn't half as good as the actual EP, I think I'll listen to it again.

I love Moods' wink to camera in the Popumentary.

just downloaded this. goodwork fellas, and a nice choice of charities. fav bit of that vid is mike's little shoulder pop at 6.16. if you watch that with thew sound turned down he could be trying out for a hair metal band.

just downloaded this. goodwork fellas, and a nice choice of charities. fav bit of that vid is mike's little shoulder pop at 6.16. if you watch that with thew sound turned down he could be trying out for a hair metal band.

That was my first experience of Mike's vocal take demeanour, and let me tell you he does not stand as still as your average singer.

Hi Thumped,

I just downloaded and listened to this and think its great. However, it claims that there are 21 people in the Popical Island showband. I could only hear 20 in The High Line.

What should I do?

yours
-scutter (16 from templeogue)

Dear Scutter,

Thanks for writing. And might I say that I'm very glad you asked such a pertinent question.

Well spotted!

The 21st member of the showband is "Phil Spectre".

The presence of this "festive fetch" explains why you only hear 20 people on the recording of The High Line.

We hope that you are enjoying this latest Popical Showband release and that you will continue to enjoy our releases in the future.

If you have any further questions please do not hesitate to contact me.

Kind regards,

Das Nugs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Landless: 'Lúireach' Album Launch (Glitterbeat Records)
The Unitarian Church, Stephen's Green
Dublin Unitarian Church, 112 St Stephen's Green, Dublin, D02 YP23, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back