▒▒▒▒▒memories▒▒▒▒▒ (1 Viewer)

here, i don't want to come across like a moany bitter prick. tym had loads of positives as i've said above - the gig listings, collective promotion, helping out with organising gigs, giving a hand and advice with the recording/producing/releasing process. and realistically i think this is all you could expect from such a diverse group of folk.

i think the diversity (not just in musical genre but even in basic attitudes) and lack of concise leadership is what hurt the more ambitious projects and these were the ones that usually involved hard cash (the stall, the distro, the tour). but at the end of it all many people became good mates and ended up doing stuff they never would have without tym, meself included.

i think it's great that someone like clonan there was able to use some of the advice to get stuff done. similarly tym drew on the experience of folk who had been involved with the kids and the hope collective so i think it'd be great to see something similar in the future.

clonan attack said:
I'd hafta agree with snap-apple there. I remember regretting i wasn't more involved...

here, i wouldn't worry about that at all at all. i can only imagine for a young lad that it would have been a very intimidating thing to try to get involved in something that was probably pretty established at that stage. i think at that stage too the whole thing had become a bit cliquey and was considered by many outside it to be very cliquey too, another reason that no new-blood came through.

in my previous post i was referring to folk that i thought could have made more of an effort to help out who were benefiting from some of the projects tym had going. just from where i was it seemed there were plenty of folk who were happy to have their stuff on the stall/distro and who were happy to namedrop tym when it suited but who you never saw at a meeting or carting the rucksack full of cd's/records around the place. whether they thought it was better to let the heads involved get on with it or whether they were just bone idle is hard to tell.

another thing that i don't think anyone mentioned yet was that i think the initial goals as discussed at the very first meeting sort of set an agenda that couldn't be met when the folk who were at that meeting didn't follow through and help out. after a year or so and once the website was setup the people coming to the meetings and doing stuff had completely changed and so the whole aspect of tym changed from its initial inception. i think this wasn't very obvious to anyone outside it all - and also not obvious to those who had been at the early meetings.

I really enjoyed the TYM meetings, i thought loads was done and i met some really cool folks, and i didn't want it to be over when it was.

i guess as allen said there were lots of people that had busy lives already and its a pity that more wasn't done.

great days though... :)

Kieran

The Herald thing was set up and some bodies were requested. Myself, Cldagh and Steve were the only ones who could make it and/or bothered to show up. I remember the whole time we were commenting to ourselves that it that we probably shouldn't have been the people there. But what can you do.
I attended meetings for as long as it was practical for me to do so and tried to get some other stuff done outside of meetings but y'know time is always a problem.

we (music guys from dublin) really need a school hall or something to oraginse shit in. i was in a brazilian 'cultural integration'* night in a hall off thomas st recently - that kind of thing would have been ideal and it can't have been too much to rent as the organisers were accepting donations only at the door. i guess i'll look into it and post what i find back here. (and if you're reading this niall mcG, i'm in the right place to do that now if you still want to...)

*lots of crusties sitting on one side of the room eating the free food which had been prepared and a handful of brazilian people huddled together looking scared at the other side of the room.

swingkid said:
do you know anything about this? there can be a conflict of interest sometimes between a socail centre (which is very badly needed, no denying that) and somewhere you can put on gigs... are the people involved into the idea of a gig happeneing every now and again? i don't want to just turn up at a meeting and make a whole new bunch of enemies.

hag said:
do you know anything about this? there can be a conflict of interest sometimes between a socail centre (which is very badly needed, no denying that) and somewhere you can put on gigs... are the people involved into the idea of a gig happeneing every now and again? i don't want to just turn up at a meeting and make a whole new bunch of enemies.

do you make enemies easily? ha ha!
dont know too much about it. i'd say its less gigs and more community stuff but i guess just mail the people involved?
look at http://www.thumped.com/bbs/showthread.php?t=27028

The organisation of that Things National Tour was admirable. There were a couple of logistic nightmares but it will, in my mind, be TYM's greatest achievement. After that it lost momentum.

Us nordy guys had a nice spell up here for a while but after the tour the enthusiasm dried up. As we couldn't attend the meetings we relied on what went on in the message board - which, to be honest, got so pedantic it was difficult to read.

Remember the arms-find in Belast the night the tour came there? Literally in the back garden of the venue?!
Banter with PSNI?
Black army in Derry?
Underpants in Waterford?
Teeth in The Village?
Kieran's blood pressure?

6000 SUX said:
Well I'd like to start going to the pub midweek and talking crap about music :)
Ah them were the days! I often find myself regretting the demise of things when there's nothing on telly of a Monday night;) To add my two cents here I think that more organisation in terms of having an overall plan would've been a great help to TYM. As it was there were just a few people taking charge of organising stuff more or less on their own (tour, stall, distro) which of course they got tired of/too busy for eventually. The stall was quite successful until the end but it was a fucking beast to carry and you could be sure that if you left anything out someone was bound to come asking about it at the next gig:rolleyes: If it's ever revived whoever does it is going to need a wheelbarrow or something.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back