€1,000,000...yes €1,000,000 (1 Viewer)

AN unknown Irish band that has yet to release a single has been offered a music deal that could earn them close to €1m

The key word in this sentence is "could".

I on the other hand got "signed" in 1991 to a deal that WILL earn me over €1m.

but you can still get their back catalogue surely?

or maybe I just own a best of. Or something.

In anyways apparently Justin Hawkins is working on solo material and has recorded version of this town ain't big enough for the both of us. Eek.
portrid said:
Hey girls cheer up - Sparks just got signed by Warners and are re-releasing their back catalogue!

In yer face Albini!

Re: €1,000,000...yes €1,000,000

kirstie said:
but you can still get their back catalogue surely?

or maybe I just own a best of. Or something.

In anyways apparently Justin Hawkins is working on solo material and has recorded version of this town ain't big enough for the both of us. Eek.

A lot of their stuff is rarer than hen's beaks - possibly with good reason, I dunno. Ask John Waters.

Now to me, a Justin Hawkins cover of that can only be a good thing. Better than the Faith No More wan an anyway!

ah yeah, he'll get the falsetto down in anyways. It's just not a song what should be covered.

portrid said:
A lot of their stuff is rarer than hen's beaks - possibly with good reason, I dunno. Ask John Waters.

Now to me, a Justin Hawkins cover of that can only be a good thing. Better than the Faith No More wan an anyway!

portrid said:
Hey girls cheer up - Sparks just got signed by Warners and are re-releasing their back catalogue!

In yer face Albini!

Finally! A not-shit copy of Kimono My House! It's that Sparks, right?

MONDOBRUTALE said:
i love how access to the internet and one steve albini essay makes everyone believe they are immediately 100000 times more clued in than a band, their manager and their lawyer.

enjoy working your shit job for the next <however amount of years these dudes don't have to work a shit job> years

andrew

Just saw this. I reckon they'll find it a bit harder going back to their shit jobs after 2 years of playing support gigs to NME bands and being told what to wear. The Albini thing is just what gets posted every single time this comes up.

I'm sure they have a rough idea of what they're getting themselves into. Fair fucks if it works for them. Chances are slim though. Is all.

well if this is the case, how brutalised must all the people here who put out albums (with cash from their own pocket!) that not very many people hear (or like in some cases!), feel when they get the bus every morning to get ready for another day of...posting on thumped?

andrew

MONDOBRUTALE said:
well if this is the case, how brutalised must all the people here who put out albums (with cash from their own pocket!) that not very many people hear (or like in some cases!) feel when they get the bus every morning to get ready for another day of...posting on thumped?

andrew

Probably pretty pissed off.

Ah, cruel world.

frown-front.jpg

What is mental is that this band apparantly very rarely ever gigged and now they are being thrown up on stage in fucking Lansdowne rd.

Lansdowneroad300.jpg

Whatever happens to the band its a pretty amazing opportunity unless they are some kind of manufactured thrills, killers motherfuckers. in that case

C111B-bulldagside-1.jpg

Ben Richards said:

No need to be jelous - I can tell you now that the deal was NOTHING like 1m. And, the guy who wrote the piece in the times was told this wasn't the case and decided it made a better story to say it anyway - what a prick.
The person who wrote that it is better for a band to have a smaller deal was bang on - very smart sir. That is what the band have with Fiction - it's about people, not money, and they know it. They have done the right thing.
The moral of the story....even the broadsheets are writing like tabloids. Don;t believe what you read.......|..|

paulosuave said:
No need to be jelous - I can tell you now that the deal was NOTHING like 1m. And, the guy who wrote the piece in the times was told this wasn't the case and decided it made a better story to say it anyway - what a prick.
The person who wrote that it is better for a band to have a smaller deal was bang on - very smart sir. That is what the band have with Fiction - it's about people, not money, and they know it. They have done the right thing.
The moral of the story....even the broadsheets are writing like tabloids. Don;t believe what you read.......|..|

say can I borrow some money? €1,000,000?

Ben Richards said:
What is mental is that this band apparantly very rarely ever gigged and now they are being thrown up on stage in fucking Lansdowne rd.

WTF? Thumped Ministry of Mis-Information strikes again.

Before they recently got management, these guys were playing at least once a week in various shitty venues around the place for years.

And someone else going on about the clothes... which applies to Mainline as well I believe. I remember these guys going around looking the same way 3-4 years ago, when they were also making similar music, and I thought "look at the fucking state of those cunts".
Their look and style of music then became the 'now'. Time (in popular culture terms) came around to them, rather than them all being told "look like this now".

If they do well in this current window of opportunity, fair fucks to them... they are not the industry creations, puppets or muppets people here seem to believe them to be.

Just sayin'.

Great set at Trinity Ball for the record

spady said:
WTF? Thumped Ministry of Mis-Information strikes again.

Before they recently got management, these guys were playing at least once a week in various shitty venues around the place for years.

And someone else going on about the clothes... which applies to Mainline as well I believe. I remember these guys going around looking the same way 3-4 years ago, when they were also making similar music, and I thought "look at the fucking state of those cunts".
Their look and style of music then became the 'now'. Time (in popular culture terms) came around to them, rather than them all being told "look like this now".

If they do well in this current window of opportunity, fair fucks to them... they are not the industry creations, puppets or muppets people here seem to believe them to be.

Just sayin'.

me, JF and mc were watchin them at the trinity ball for a couple
and JF goes "that sounds really like joy division" and it did
and then they played a joy division cover
so do they sound like joy division or wah?

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back