£6million squat in London (1 Viewer)

Gambra

Anarchic Harmonics
Website
www.noisenotmusic.org
http://www.guardian.co.uk/society/2008/nov/07/mayfair-property-art-squat

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...flies-black-flag-anarchy-Mayfair-mansion.html

article-1083782-0263BA05000005DC-227_224x423.jpg

Best coverage of it goes (of course) to the Sun:
We've won the National Squattery
Dossers trash £6m mansion
http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/article1907808.ece

They seem to be only upper middle class art students but fuck it, it's a great looking building.

I think it wasn't a particularly smart move for a numbers of reasons agreeing to have the press there, first of all because the owners will more likely know about it now.
On the other hand it's good because at least people can see that squatters are not only a bunch of smelly hippies or unemployed crusties. And really shows that squatters can actually be positive for a building.
But the comments are priceless. People thinking that it's illegal or criminal are idiots that obviously have not understood how it's all a sham and that the alledged housing crisis is pure bullshit because there is more than enough empty properties to house people in waiting lists and so on.

I really hope they manage to stay in there for a decent amount of time. But also hope that they will truly behave like a collectively occupied squat and allow people to stay over, have gigs or exhibitions and stuff.
Not particularly fond of wankers that squat a house then treat it like their own and get fucked off if people try to stay over or don't do anything positive about it.

still its an eye opener for all the upperclass that live in the area, they probably brought in the media thinking it would scare off the squatters because, and correct me if i wrong, i think i read the authoritys know they are there and havent done anything.. now they are getting nationwide coverage, some good and some bad, but its opening up others eyes as regards to ideas of squatting and being more compasionate to squatters etc.

i say fair played to em.

Well, the authorities can't do anything anyway. Untill the owner of the building files a request of eviction and the whole matter is debated in a civil court, the cops and the council can be as pissed off as they want but they legally can't do fuck all. Actually, if cops broke in without a warrant, as a matter of fact they would be prosecutable for violation of private property beause they entered without the consent of the squatters.

Seriously, the Brits are light years ahead of us on the matter of squatting and legislation related to it.

What a bunch of dumb bastards... Its just embassarsing that the press know. I can only imagine the amount of problems this is going to bring up, and i doubt its just the pigs and owners they will now have to worry about.

Seriously, the Brits are light years ahead of us on the matter of squatting and legislation related to it.

They manage to fuck it up the legislation here though. Until the 1980s we had the same laws up north as in the mainland. When ever they brought in the PTA (Prevention of terrorism act) it included laws about occupation. So any time you enter a property you are trespassing and the cops have the right to enter the property to remove you.

they look like a bunch of knobs. probably chose a posh address because it felt like home, they wouldn't want to squat near riff-raff!

Aye Jonnie. But to be fair, certain areas you wouldn't want to squat. Already you get the paras kicking you out of a house you pay for, nevermind if you occupy it.
But it is fucked up how there is one law in the mainland and one law here.

Ahahah fuck no! That would be horrible. Just used to call Britain the 'mainland' because y family always go on about it that way. Horrible habit.

On the other hand it's good because at least people can see that squatters are not only a bunch of smelly hippies or unemployed crusties. And really shows that squatters can actually be positive for a building.

I don't see how ripping up floorboards & tearing down chunks of ceiling is positive for the building.

I don't see how ripping up floorboards & tearing down chunks of ceiling is positive for the building.

yeah just let it fall apart by itself?!?
anyway, whichever toff decides to park his well talcked arse in there next will undoubtedly have the whole interior ripped apart to suit the colour of his cat's mickey - so who gives a fuck.
they're not the type of people i'd hang around with but i well respect what they're doing.

yeah just let it fall apart by itself?!?
anyway, whichever toff decides to park his well talcked arse in there next will undoubtedly have the whole interior ripped apart to suit the colour of his cat's mickey - so who gives a fuck.
they're not the type of people i'd hang around with but i well respect what they're doing.

The house looked to be in pretty good condition apart from the damage done by the squatters.
The idea that "it's going to fall into rack & ruin eventually so we as well destroy it now" is ridiculous.

Whatever "toff" moves into it won't be having the interior ripped apart cos it's a listed building.

The house looked to be in pretty good condition apart from the damage done by the squatters.
The idea that "it's going to fall into rack & ruin eventually so we as well destroy it now" is ridiculous.

Whatever "toff" moves into it won't be having the interior ripped apart cos it's a listed building.

"Stephanie Smith, who gave the balcony speech and describes herself as an artist, insists the house was being ‘left to rot’. Certainly the Grade II listed 1730s mansion has seen better days. Some furniture and decor remains, but bare wires hang from some walls and floorboards have been ripped up in places."

this does indicate that the squatters did the damage but anyway if they had to pull up floorboards to repair some plumbing - that's what they had to! plumbing systems that are left to their own decay in a house like that will cause way more damage to the plasterwork, joisting and floorboards than a few squatters scraping the walls. even if the plumbing system was completely drained and cut off the pipes and fittings would pick up problems from disuse. if the next inhabitant were to put in a new system to prevent this a hell of a lot more damage to the floorboards etc would be done. same as, same as.

while the tabloid media loves to strike up hatred towards "sqwatters" of the lower class variety, in the UK, the majority of "enquiries about the use of the Limitation Act come from middle class owner occupiers who have surreptitiously extended their gardens onto derelict land or into a deceased neighbour’s field." [source - http://www.monbiot.com/archives/1996/07/18/theft-is-property/ ]

indeed as george monbiot reccommends

But if MPs really do want to go ahead and repeal the Limitation Act, then let them, and we’ll all have fun scouring our family trees for evidence of peasant proprietorship in the eleventh century. It would be optimistic, however, to expect the owner occupiers on whose behalf they have been huffing to thank them for it

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back