£250,000 to spare? (1 Viewer)

The Students Union in Bergen, Norway bought a nuclear bomb shelter off the government in the 70s sometime.
The nice thing about this shelter was it was a hole bored down into the foot of a mountain, which opened out into loads of caverns and other tunnels. Apparently the mountain had a crack in it, and it was useless as a nuc shelter.

Anyway, the SU got the biggest speakers they could fit down the hole, built a few stages down there, sound desks, etc, and then had fairly legend parties ever since. I went there a couple of times, its called Hulen, you walk along to the edge of the town, where its quiet and there is no one about really.
Then you see this little metal door, quick knock, someone whips the door open and you leg it in, and then walk down this long tunnel which seems to go fairly deep.
They light the tunnel in only with candles, then it opens out into the wall of noise.
The way the caverns are, sound doesnt seem to get from one to another, so there can be three gigs going on at the same time.

Savage venue. There is something about having a gig underground in caverns, people just went nuts. It is the right place to listen to a Norwegian metal gig for example. Or a punk gig. It Rocked the face off CBGBs.

I would like to go back, except my memory of Hulen is so awesome I wouldnt want to taint it in any way.

The Students Union in Bergen, Norway bought a nuclear bomb shelter off the government in the 70s sometime.
The nice thing about this shelter was it was a hole bored down into the foot of a mountain, which opened out into loads of caverns and other tunnels. Apparently the mountain had a crack in it, and it was useless as a nuc shelter.

Anyway, the SU got the biggest speakers they could fit down the hole, built a few stages down there, sound desks, etc, and then had fairly legend parties ever since. I went there a couple of times, its called Hulen, you walk along to the edge of the town, where its quiet and there is no one about really.
Then you see this little metal door, quick knock, someone whips the door open and you leg it in, and then walk down this long tunnel which seems to go fairly deep.
They light the tunnel in only with candles, then it opens out into the wall of noise.
The way the caverns are, sound doesnt seem to get from one to another, so there can be three gigs going on at the same time.

Savage venue. There is something about having a gig underground in caverns, people just went nuts. It is the right place to listen to a Norwegian metal gig for example. Or a punk gig. It Rocked the face off CBGBs.

I would like to go back, except my memory of Hulen is so awesome I wouldnt want to taint it in any way.

i CAN NOT believe you never thought thid fact was worthy of a thread of its own. This isprobably the best fact ever, the reason i was born,what a fucking lenedary statistic,you are amazing

I mean, it was with out any doubt the best venue I have been to in my life.

I suppose I should have mentioned it before. I thought I did in passing at some point. I am sort of new here anyway.

Anyway, the place has just been given over to massive partying since its inception. And, since its just rock and amplifiers, you cant really wreck it.

The way the sound sort of resonates around the cavern though is interesting. Everything has a very epic sound to it.
Being able to walk from gig to gig is class too. The gigs are all totally different too, I just walked into a cavern one time, and there it this banging ska band, with all these massive norwegian skins with red braces bouncing off the place, totally sound though, and then on into some punk gig, you just sort of get swept up in it.
There are all these sort of chill out tunnels too. Where you can get you buzz back if buzz is what you are in need of.

Funnily enough I met one of the Royksopp dudes there. I forget which one. This was ages before they were famous.
I met the dorky dude, Erland, from Kings of Convenience the previous day. They were both mates of this Norwegian girl i was going out with.

Basically I just cant say enough good things about Bergen.
Here is the Hulen website.

Here is some photos off their site:http://www.hulen.no/galleri2/

I forgot all my Norwegian. Please dont ask for translations :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Darsombra (Kosmische Drone Prog)(US)
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back