Votes: 0 0.0%
  • World Record

• The Quiet Zone/The Pleasure Dome

• Present

• Total voters
Following on from A Grounding in Numbers released in March 2011 Esoteric Antenna are delighted to announce a new title with Van Der Graaf Generator--ALT release date 25th June 2012

'ALT' is a new studio album by the legendary VAN DER GRAAF GENERATOR and follows on from the release of "A GROUNDING IN NUMBERS" in 2011.

"ALT" is no ordinary Van Der Graaf Generator album (if the term "ordinary" could ever be applied to this visionary group). PETER HAMMILL explains; "Instrumental Improvs & Experiments - Most of the music on "ALT" was made while we weren't really looking, or perhaps only while the left side of our collective brain was engaged. The album is a mixture of improvisations recorded at sound checks and in the studio and more considered sonic creations which often verge on Musique Concrete. The thirteen pieces here offer a fascinating glimpse into an alternative Van der Graaf Generator sound world. Perhaps the closest comparison would be with the second CD of "Present", but even the link with those recordings is tenuous. Even by Van der Graaf Generator standards, this stuff's at the whacky end of the scale!"

This instrumental album is another side of Van Der Graaf Generator, a truly unique listening experience.

The title will come both in CD and limited edition vinyl.

YES
.|..|

That new album wasn't great tbh. Nothing remotely describable as a tune or a riff anywhere, just lots of instrumental noodling. I'm glad that they think it worthwhile to put out such an album i just wish it was better. Anyway, they come under V in john peels record collection and someone made a nice little video with peel's mrs and peter hammill talking in it
http://thespace.org/items/e000130a?t=mf68

I'm a bit sorry now I didn't make more effort to go and see them on this recent tour, they played Gog a good few times.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Darsombra (Kosmische Drone Prog)(US)
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back