Your work situation (11 Viewers)

Before @Deadmanposting gets on my case, most of the internet is blocked. Half the time thumped is blocked. So, to do anything non work related during my down time requires using my phone, which is way too obvious that I am not doing work, despite not having any to do. The only work around I can do is to bring in a memory stick of stuff I want to “work on” and try but people are walking in and out all day and the damn radio drives me insane. I need to listen to my headphones so loud to cover up that I would never know if someone were behind me. I just wish I had a bit more work to make the day go by quicker.
I used to print out books and long articles when I wasn't busy
They look like work when you do that

And also, no one gives a damn really. The only person to be concerned about is the person setting your pay. But that's not a concern in the public sector.
Write the great Irish-American novel, Hives.

I used to print out books and long articles when I wasn't busy
They look like work when you do that

And also, no one gives a damn really. The only person to be concerned about is the person setting your pay. But that's not a concern in the public sector.
Write the great Irish-American novel, Hives.
Two city girls escape the city to run a pub in rural Ireland...and find love...and themselves ...along the way

girls1.png

In my various works, if someone whinges about being bored, no matter what level they're on, they'll be handed a broom or a sponge or a hoover and told to get to work.
Often the whingers don't really want to do anything other than whinge, so they whinge.

I am not putting Hives in that category, OBVIOUSLY. I just work with lots of childish soft lads, some of whom are in their 50's. Hives is not like them.

But in Hives' case, I'd bet there's a horror show of a filing room, or some mess of a spreadsheet somewhere that *someone* needs to sort out. So maybe that would suit you, but if it wouldn't, don't moan about your own efficiency.

Just two indefatigable ladies battling the tide of small-mindedness in a rural town and reckoning on the uselessness of men

It could be on Netflix by March 17th, 2025

ok, gotta do some work
(I'm in the private sector)

In my various works, if someone whinges about being bored, no matter what level they're on, they'll be handed a broom or a sponge or a hoover and told to get to work.
Often the whingers don't really want to do anything other than whinge, so they whinge.

I am not putting Hives in that category, OBVIOUSLY. I just work with lots of childish soft lads, some of whom are in their 50's. Hives is not like them.

But in Hives' case, I'd bet there's a horror show of a filing room, or some mess of a spreadsheet somewhere that *someone* needs to sort out. So maybe that would suit you, but if it wouldn't, don't moan about your own efficiency.
I actually cleaned the office the other day because it was bugging me.
I am the file room. It's like a evidence scene from cold case here. :)

That said, I don't complain other than here because I would fear being put on some phone helpdesk!

I actually cleaned the office the other day because it was bugging me.
I am the file room. It's like a evidence scene from cold case here. :)

That said, I don't complain other than here because I would fear being put on some phone helpdesk!
Exactly 💯

I can't do that 100 thing as a reaction because I'm a freeloader. Sorry Pete.

In my other work, we often look like we're just walking around doing nothing. This is because we've checked and tested everything the day before and always for as long as we've been here, so that at showtime it all works. Sounds a bit like you, in that other people are stressed and looking at us chilling out*, and we're like "well, we just have our shit together".

*We're never chilling out, it's quite stressful waiting for it to go wrong somewhere. I often feel like "I should be doing something!!", but I am doing something, I'm waiting.

Edit: a personal realisation, I have two/three jobs which outwardly seem very similar, but in practice each requires a very different approach.
Maybe that's useful to you in some way, you ain't running a pub anymore. Or something.

I got promoted a few months back. My latest job is way slower paced than any previous office job I've had. Told a colleague earlier, sometimes when I'm working from home and Inbox is quiet, I wonder how long it would take for anyone to notice if I just did nothing. It's been difficult to adjust to not being regimented by the clock and asshole bosses. I love the autonomy but I have so much of it, it strays into anomie.

You lot are all waaaay more diligent than I am

I would be a first class lollygagger if I was let
If there is nothing to be done, I am the world's happiest employee
I can entertain myself indefinitely
I do not need my time occupied

The floor can always be brushed, it's never clean!

You lot are all waaaay more diligent than I am

I would be a first class lollygagger if I was let
If there is nothing to be done, I am the world's happiest employee
I can entertain myself indefinitely
I do not need my time occupied
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

The maintenance man at work is always chatty and jokey with me. He just came into the office and said, "I hid an Easter egg for you but it's up to you to find it." I honestly don't know if he is kidding or not.
You can boil an egg there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back